"AP OFF" vs. "AP DISENGAGE" What's the difference?

mblane03

I just got a VKB Modern Combat Grip (MCG) and I'm trying to figure out the difference between the button on the top left labeled "AP OFF", and the main trigger labeled "AP DISENGAGE" and how it relates in-game to the different autopilot commands in DCS.

I've only flown the SU-25T and P-51D so I'm only somewhat familiar with the autopilot system for the Russian plane.

1.  Is "AP OFF" intended to turn on and off the entire autopilot system?

2.  Is "AP DISENGAGE" on the first stage of the trigger intended to be the temporary override only when held in?  And upon release, the autopilot system is turned back on?

Any clarification or recommendations on this would be very helpful.  Thanks!

AP DISENGAGE A.jpg

AP OFF A.jpg

They are just labels, assign the buttons as appropriate for your needs.

I don't even pay attention to what mine are labeled.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not commenting specifically on this particular stick, but on the B-1, the trigger has 2 detents.  During terrain following ops, pulling to the first detent temporarily disengages the TF set from providing pitch inputs and allows the pilot-flying to maneuver the aircraft in pitch.  Releasing the trigger resumes TF ops.  Pulling the trigger to the second detent permanently disengages the TF set from providing pitch inputs.  A different switch must be re-engaged to resume TF ops.  In both cases, the TF set is still on and calculating a flight patch and playing climb/dive tones over the ICS.  This probably works in a similar fashion, albeit on different buttons.

Edited by Blatherman

Not a SME so take it with a grain, but I thought one simply turns off the AP, and you can immediately turn it back on, the other completely disconnects the AP from the aircraft as well as the systems the AP uses to control the aircraft so you get full control of the aircraft in the event of an emergency. And to turn the AP back on after the you needed to flip a bunch of switches back to their original positions to get the AP working again.   

Like AP works great in a fully functioning, non damaged aircraft but if it's missing half a wing and has a bunch of avionics knocked out from a hit, the AP can start freaking out because it's sensors are feeding it bad info from damage and send you careening out of control when a pilot would be able to keep it steady.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

The RED that says "AP OFF" is in Soviet desing to completely turn off the Auto Pilot channels.

The TRIGGER is for disabling the AP as long you hold trigger down but you maintain dampening. Once you release the trigger, then that attitude is programmed to the AP for the program that is active.

The method to launch missiles, rockets and release bombs is a pull-down trigger. It is a kind of  safety feature same time.

The gun is used by pushing a small trigger from the right side with index finger, so you have two pull-down triggers for weapons.

The Soviet aircrafts had very advanced autopilots. Where you can choose multiple programs and combine them to perform more advanced modes. Basically in Su-25T and Su-27S you can fly the whole combat route just with performing a weapons release, take-off and landing manually.

So that is why you have then the main trigger as the AP disable as you basically fly with the AP and you just perform the turns and such when not on route mode. When emergency situation happens, then you press red AP OFF so you get full control and you don't fight against AP.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.