Old / New A-10 Questions

J.C.Wolf

Hello A-10 Pilots,

Sorry for the double post. I asked on the other forum but after a second thought, I should better put it here?

I have a quick question. Sorry if this was already answered, do I still get the old A-10 or only the new?

Would like to get the two, because I read most shop campaigns only go for the old.

It's not possible to buy the old version, at last not with my store 😞 but I want to have it too.

As far as I know if you buy the A-10C II module you will also get the older A-10C as well. I've seen other people say with conviction that it works that way. 

I cannot confirm this personally as I already owned the A-10C when I bought the A-10C II module. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J.C.Wolf said:

Thanks very much. One more point : How about IFF? It's not working in the old. Do we get it in the new?

Nope, IFF transponder functionality is not simulated in DCS (with the exception of the JF-17 when interacting with another JF-17). You can click the switches of the IFF transponder in the A-10C, but they have no function.

1 hour ago, canadianbaken said:

Umm not sure what you are using IFF on in the A-10?

You don't, as it's not simulated unfortunately :sad:

Edited by QuiGon
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 1/26/2021 at 11:17 AM, canadianbaken said:

Umm not sure what you are using IFF on in the A-10?

Do I miss something? 

Doesn't IFF help shooter not make a mistake by shooting at a friendly and also help the friendly target from being the victim of before mentioned mistake?

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

IFF have different abilities interrogator and interrogatee. A-10 only has ability to respond to interrogations, not make them.

Most if not all DCS modules will respond to most if not all interrogations as friendly/positive regardless of their system status. E.g. A-10 IFF system off and F/A-18 interrogates = positive result.

Frederf.

Good to know thanks.

On page 146 of my flight manual it says :

IFF was first developed in World  etc...

This panel is non-functional in this simulation.

While the A-10C cannot interrogate other aircraft with IFF, it can respond to IFF interrogations. The A-
10C has five IFF modes it can respond with:
Mode 1. This  etc....

Does this panel currently work for the A-10C 2?

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

Does this panel currently work for the A-10C 2?

I answered this above:

On 1/26/2021 at 9:46 PM, QuiGon said:

Nope, IFF transponder functionality is not simulated in DCS (with the exception of the JF-17 when interacting with another JF-17). You can click the switches of the IFF transponder in the A-10C, but they have no function.

Again: The only aircraft in DCS with working IFF transponder functionality is the JF-17 and only when it is being IFFed by another JF-17. All other aircraft in DCS (including the A-10C 2) respond magically to IFF interrogations, even if the interrogated aircraft doesn't even have an IFF system (like the Christen Eagle II or the WW2 aircraft with their outdated IFF systems).

This missing IFF transponder simulation is one of my biggest gripes with DCS. :sad:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

15 hours ago, Caldera said:

QG,

I am sorry I did read above.  However, there are changes to this game that are not in the manual.  To boot, I misunderstood Frederf, he must have been referring to the actual A-10.

Caldera

No, what Frederf said applies to the DCS A-10 as well.

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

I guess what I am understanding then is that the IFF panel does not function, but the IFF does function in the game for the A-10?

Yeah, you got it correct. Basically every unit, AI, airfield, ATC, and anything else that might need to know.. will always know what "coalition" you are on. Always. Even if the jet is parked and the battery is off.

Clients in fighter aircraft might not be able to see it, but that's an issue specific to them, and not the rest of the simulation.

8 hours ago, Caldera said:

Hm...

I guess what I am understanding then is that the IFF panel does not function, but the IFF does function in the game for the A-10?

You can blast me for stupid questions, but just so you know my IFF is indeed turned on.

Caldera

Yes, even if your IFF (transponder) is turned off it will still magically work in DCS. So turning it on or off doesn't make any difference.

It's one of the weakest parts of the entire simulation of DCS.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg