GV5Js Datacard Generator

raus

Ok, got it. Did not test the .miz, as that links requires adding some extension to the browser to download, but the problem is that I had not included any chart for Jean airport in the bundle. I have check that the chart exists before trying to export, will add the comprobation quickly. Meanwhile, I would avoid trying to export charts not included with DCS or in CombatWombat's packages

Hi @maxxstv,

I am afraid the font is hard-coded at the moment. I just customized it for the app, and the alignment of the exported images is calculated with that font in mind. When using other fonts during the development, the alignment points were different so, if I allowed to select different fonts for the exports now, they would probably end printing the text all over the place and not inside the fields of the template.

However, I do not discard having a second look at it in the future, once I've finished with the backlog of features currently being worked on 🙂

regards

Hey Raus

Firstly, thanks for create such a great application.

I did want to ask though, is it possible to include the ability to either A change the background image or even better, B export a csv instead of the images?

My vSqn has a standardized kneeboard template we've all become very accustomed to, and the default image, while there is nothing wrong with it per se, is the main reason we're not using it at the moment.

Thanks again!

Hi @Wrench,

Well, the main idea of the app was to export PNG images, to use as kneeboard, specially because a lot of the people I fly with, as well as myself, are flying in VR exclusively. I wanted everything to have the same look & feel, and that is why I created templates that kept the style from the checklists I also started creating over the original work of @BatLunette.

That being said, I am currently saving kind of a csv file (not exactly that) encoded in the .5js file, for distribution and reworking of the datacards. However, for making a proper csv export, some rules should be observed, as if we are going to do it line by line of the datacard/commcard (one separator for fields within the same line, and a different one to separate lines). Also, this would be easy to implement for the mission datacard and the commcard, but the coordination card, pop-up profile, notes... are relying in some images to display the info. So, what would you have in mind? I mean, how would you like to use the program, and what export do you need? I can have a look at it, but I cannot promise anything, as the backlog is still full with tasks to improve the current status.

Changing the background profile would not really be an option as of today: the GUI is hardcoded to place text fields in specific locations, so that we have a manually editable version before exporting, and the export itself places the text aligned to the template, so you would need a template with the same layout of fields as we have now...

PS: if it is a matter of customization, just remember that you have the option to include your squadron logo, and name (up to two lines), and it will replace the GV5Js logo on every page

I could offer a couple different styles for the template. Just that all the fields, including logos, will fall in the same positions. Sure, it takes a little time, though, because for the editor to look ok, I would also have to make it so that when you change the template, all the editable text fields change their background color, to match the new template, so it does not look weird. If I make it so that each user can load their template, there are two drawbacks: first, you would have to create a template for each page and second, I have no way of knowing which color scheme you use, so the text fields in the app would keep their current background, and look off.

New version available. Hopefully, a good overhaul:

v1.3.0 Changelog:

• Fixed a bug in the UHF/VHF frequency selector for airfields
  • Manual selection of PUSH - EGRESS waypoints to calculate VUL Time / TOT
  • For self (selected) flight, in the Mission datacard, use right mouse button click on WP Name and "Select WP type"
  • For other flights, use the "Edit WPs flight#" button on the coordination card and use right mouse click on the window that pops up
  • Changed the Mission field on top of the datacard to display own flight task instead of sortie name
  • Introduced length checks in WP names, Airfield names and Airfield ILS fields (orange + message box if there is risk of overlapping)
  • Increased font size for the Bullseye coordinates
  • In Notes cards, the red button pops a color picker dialog, to select font color, rather than only red/blue
  • In Mission Datacard, replaced the buttons to set WP as TGT with the context menu (right click) on the WP Name --> "Send Coords to Notes#1"
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

@raus Ok I see, will try that. 
If I may make a wish that would be that you add a tab where the briefing text for the mission is read, that way you can copy text from there and put into the notes if you like to without having to open the mission in DCS. 

But anyway, great work!

Version 1.3.2 is out!

See the complete changelog in the update dialog. Mainly reworked the coordination ard, as it was not very intuitive. Also stretched some fields to display both UHF/VHF frequencies for airfields, and modified the commcard to accomodate additional airfields, so that multiple flights can share a common commcard.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

New version available, v1.3.4

v1.3.4 Changelog:

• [Fix]:Al Dhafra UHF frequency 250.500 instead of 251.100
  • [Fix]: Bug when recalling a .5Js file, causing the wrong Waypoint coordinates format to be applied
  • [Feature]:PUSH/TOT and VUL times applied in Coordination Tab, get updated in the TOT window of Mission Datacard
  • [Feature]:Cyprus airfields added
  • [Feature]:Marianas airfields added, and Mariana Islands theater support
  • [Feature]:Human flights from Liberation missions, where a custom flight name has been added, will display those names in every field
  • [Feature]:Added a Font selector on Notes1 Tab
  • [Feature]:Added a Paste button on Notes1 Tab
  • [Feature]:Default export name for Mission Datacard includes the Flight Name, to ease the creation of Package datacards
  • [Change]:Notes2 page is now a full size image export
  • [Change]:Checking "use standard 5Js frequencies" will change Base Ops (Radio1, ch.1) to 251.000
  • [Change]:GV5Js frame deleted from Navcards, to improve readability. Using original Combatwombat cards and 476th VFG cards"
  • [Change]:Flight name field in Coordination card expanded
  • [Change]:NVG filters changed to improve blending with the base card
  • [Known limitations]:
    • In Notes1, when changing text format, all text selected must have the same format. If there are different formats (bold, italic) applied, it has to be done in steps
    • In Coordination Card, it is neccessary to click "Calculate" before exporting the card. Also, the names of the flights cannot be edited afterwards (or Generate must be hit again)
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you, @whisky.actual, I am glad that it serves people!!

I have had a lot of support from the community to develop and improve it, so I am very happy to see other people find it useful!!

I am planning to prepare a couple videos showing the usage with DCS: Liberation,  to create all the cards for a package, so stay tuned!

BR

Edited by raus

Hi, not sure if this the correct place, but when I am trying to change the custom patch and I am getting this error:

image.png

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Whisky\AppData\Local\GV5Js\GV5Js Datacard Generator\1.3.12.0\res\customLogo.png' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost)
   at WindowsFormsApp2.Form1.pictureBox25_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4400.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
DatacardGenerator
    Assembly Version: 1.3.12.0
    Win32 Version: 1.3.12.0
    CodeBase: file:///E:/GV5JsDatacardGenerator/DatacardGenerator.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4400.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4360.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4390.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.8.4084.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4390.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Deployment
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4270.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4190.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4084.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.IO.Compression.FileSystem
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4084.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.IO.Compression.FileSystem/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.IO.Compression.FileSystem.dll
System.IO.Compression
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.IO.Compression/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.IO.Compression.dll
System.Device
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Device/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Device.dll
AutoUpdater.NET
    Assembly Version: 1.6.6.0
    Win32 Version: 1.6.6.0
    CodeBase: file:///E:/GV5JsDatacardGenerator/AutoUpdater.NET.DLL
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Cheers,

Whisky

@whisky.actual I have done a couple quick tests, and I am not seeing that error happening. Could you try to completely close the program and any app having access to its folder, and try again? By the way, the process to use a custom patch should be:

1.- Use the two text fields to fill in your squadron name

2.- Click on the placeholder image, and select the image you'd like to use

3.- Select the radio button to use the custom Text+Image on the datacards

Just to be more specific. I already had an image and now I wanted to replace it with a new one.

I followed you instructions above I had the same error.

I had to go and manually remove the images in the C:\Users\Whisky\AppData\Local\GV5Js\GV5Js Datacard Generator\1.3.12.0\res\ folder.

Looking forward to those those training videos, I can't make timings work nor the VUL / TOT on the coordination card.

Cheers,

Whisky

@whisky.actual you're right. Trying to replace the image produces an error. Thanks for the heads-up, it shouldn't be hard to trace and fix, so expect it fixed in the next update 🙂

Regarding the timings, I went through a couple iterations, as it was a little complex. Right now, it goes as follows:

VUL time or PUSH/TOT:

1.- In the coordination tab, assign the flights on the left pane

2.- Clicking the button for "Edit WPs flight#X" opens a pop-up window showing the flight plan of that flight

3.- In the pop-up window, select either PUSH/TOT or VUL Time

4.- Use the fields to select the initial and final times of the selected option

5.- Hit the close button in the pop-up window

6.- Once you have assigned the times for all the flights you want, hit the "Calculate" button in the left pane of the Coordination Tab

7.- Now the assigned times should show on the Coordination Card, and the TOT field of the Mission Datacard, for the assigned flights

How to introduce the PUSH time, or modify a time in the flight plan displayed on the Mission Datacard

- Let's assume you assigned a push time to a flight in the coordination card. I will not show in its flight plan (the flight plan is retrieved from the .miz). You can, still modify it: go to the mission data card tab, click in the TOS field for the intended waypoint (e.g. the PUSH point). You can manually add the time in the TOS field, and the program will adjust the timing of the waypoints before it. Now, some things to take into account:

- If the assigned time is impossible to reach, while taking off at the assigned time, a message will pop-up, and the takeoff time will be colored red (only as a warning, it will print normally on the exported datacard)

- If the timing is valid, the takeoff time will be green (only in this preview)

- The previous waypoints TOS will be adjusted so that the same ground speed as before is kept

- This can only be done to one waypoint (we usually use it for the PUSH)

I hope this helps clarifying 😉

Hi, @whisky.actual . Yes, I am aware of that one, and it is irritating, to say the least. Still trying to figure out a better solution. At the moment, if the text you selected has more than one format, it will not work (like if there‘s one word in bold and another in italics). If you select chunks of code with the same font, color and format, you can still spply the formats to them, though