Is there a way to make a template from a group of buildings?

jpinard

I'm making some power station groups for a few scenarios and I'd rather not have to re-invent the wheel every single time I need to plop down 40 buildings and structures. Is there a way to save these to use on any map like we can for SAM templates?

37 minutes ago, jpinard said:

I'm making some power station groups for a few scenarios and I'd rather not have to re-invent the wheel every single time I need to plop down 40 buildings and structures. Is there a way to save these to use on any map like we can for SAM templates?

Hello,

DCS has two types of Templates:

a) Group Templates: Allow you to have a single Unit Group and save it as a Template, that can be pasted wherever you want and on any Map. For example, a Fleet group with several ship Units, or a SAM Group with several ground units belonging to a single Group. It’s limitation is that only a single Group can be saved as Template, so you can’t have a Fleet including aircrafts on a Carrier, nor can you use any static objects (only Units).

b) Static Templates: Allow you to save a whole Map with any amount of Units aerial, ground or ships, plus any static objects, and each unit can have waypoints and advanced orders. It’s limitation is that the position of the Units is always the same every time you paste the Template, and each Static Template is map specific, you cant use a Caucasus Template on the Nevada Map for example.

on your case, you should use a Static Template, where you can place your 40 static objects easily, but the location of the power plant will always be the same.  That’s why instead of editing a single generic Power Plant, it is best to create one Template for each Power Plant of the Map (of course, create only the ones you need. Here is an example:

Power%20Plant%201.jpg

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302357/?sphrase_id=1615077

Best regards,

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Wow that's beautiful.  It's too bad we can't place it anywhere we want.  I know if I make a group of static objects, if I shift click on each one and continue to hold shift I can copy all of them and then paste them somewhere else in that same map.  But is there any kind of way to speed that up?  Like click and drag to highlight the group of objects to copy it?

• 1 month later...
Il 5/2/2021 at 02:45, Rudel_chw ha scritto:

Hello,

DCS has two types of Templates:

a) Group Templates: Allow you to have a single Unit Group and save it as a Template, that can be pasted wherever you want and on any Map. For example, a Fleet group with several ship Units, or a SAM Group with several ground units belonging to a single Group. It’s limitation is that only a single Group can be saved as Template, so you can’t have a Fleet including aircrafts on a Carrier, nor can you use any static objects (only Units).

b) Static Templates: Allow you to save a whole Map with any amount of Units aerial, ground or ships, plus any static objects, and each unit can have waypoints and advanced orders. It’s limitation is that the position of the Units is always the same every time you paste the Template, and each Static Template is map specific, you cant use a Caucasus Template on the Nevada Map for example.

on your case, you should use a Static Template, where you can place your 40 static objects easily, but the location of the power plant will always be the same.  That’s why instead of editing a single generic Power Plant, it is best to create one Template for each Power Plant of the Map (of course, create only the ones you need. Here is an example:

Power%20Plant%201.jpg

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302357/?sphrase_id=1615077

Best regards,

Eduardo

Hi Rudel, nice static template!

I have a question, if I have to destroy all these buildings (or 80% of the template) to accomplish my object,

is there a simple way to group it all under a trigger?

thx