A4E-C SKYHAWK TACAN

I've looked around and haven't been able to find anything such as bug reports or anyone else having the problem when I try to use the tacan in the a4 I don't get any nav info or mores code from it I've tried the warmup by leaving it in rec for well over 5 mins and still have the same result I usually start cold and dark but the issue is the same even in a hot start I may be missing something but haven't found anything that seems to help 

17 hours ago, demaske said:

I've looked around and haven't been able to find anything such as bug reports or anyone else having the problem when I try to use the tacan in the a4 I don't get any nav info or mores code from it I've tried the warmup by leaving it in rec for well over 5 mins and still have the same result I usually start cold and dark but the issue is the same even in a hot start I may be missing something but haven't found anything that seems to help 

I haven’t experienced issues with the Tacan, neither on v1.4 nor the new 2.0 ... here is a video where I use the Tacan to locate the Carrier:

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

To confirm, the TACAN on the A-4 can only be used for the carrier and requires certain parameters to be met in the Mission Editor.  The A-4 cannot use land based, portable or A2A TACAN.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

41 minutes ago, Jacks said:

To confirm, the TACAN on the A-4 can only be used for the carrier and requires certain parameters to be met in the Mission Editor.  The A-4 cannot use land based, portable or A2A TACAN.

The A-4 currently (version 2.0) does not have Air-to-air Tacan, but it can certainly communicate with the fixed land-based TACAN stations. Have not tried the portable Tacan, as I don't use it on my missions.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

5 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

The A-4 currently (version 2.0) does not have Air-to-air Tacan, but it can certainly communicate with the fixed land-based TACAN stations. Have not tried the portable Tacan, as I don't use it on my missions.

I couldn't get it to track a portable TACAN using 2.0 Beta 2.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. I've spent the last 2 days trying to get the carrier and tanker TACAN and ICLS to work with the A4v2 and no luck. I can definitely pick up the land-based TACANs, but nothing from the carrier and nothing from the tanker. No ICLS either. The discussion above clarifies the TACAN situation somewhat. Has anyone gotten the ICLS to work?

By the way, if I switch to a land-based TACAN, then go back to carrier TACAN (or any other TACAN channel), the last successful TACAN info remains on the display, including the last recorded distance to the TACAN station. That can't be right - I assume if you switch to an invalid TACAN channel, the TACAN would go off...

I’m using v2.0 and Both the Stennis Tacan and fixed land based Tacan works ok, for me. Have not tested Supercarrier nor portable Tacan. Air-air tacan definitively does not work.

21 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

I’m using v2.0 and Both the Stennis Tacan and fixed land based Tacan works ok, for me. Have not tested Supercarrier nor portable Tacan. Air-air tacan definitively does not work.

I'm flying off of Abe Lincoln. Gotta try the old Stennis. Maybe the TACAN works with the Stennis but not with Supercarrier?? 

Does the ICLS work off the Stennis, too?

51 minutes ago, Doc3908 said:

I'm flying off of Abe Lincoln. Gotta try the old Stennis. Maybe the TACAN works with the Stennis but not with Supercarrier?? 

Does the ICLS work off the Stennis, too?

The Tacan works, but I have not tried the ICLS yet.

• 2 months later...

2.0.0 beta 4
So I've tried it with the Melbourne, the Stennis and the Supercarriers, all to no avail. Land Based Tacans do work. The Tacans on the ship work too, as other planes can pick them up. Also I see the behaviour as already mentioned where the last Bearing /Distance remains shown on the RMI, no matter what Channel you select or even turn the Tacan off. 

On 5/13/2021 at 12:17 AM, GAF_flyer said:

2.0.0 beta 4
So I've tried it with the Melbourne, the Stennis and the Supercarriers, all to no avail. Land Based Tacans do work. The Tacans on the ship work too, as other planes can pick them up. Also I see the behaviour as already mentioned where the last Bearing /Distance remains shown on the RMI, no matter what Channel you select or even turn the Tacan off. 

You'll just have to wait on this, the old system for the Ship TACAN will be deprecated next update, it used the mission file and dead reckoning to figure out where the ship would be.

I have found a way to get Ship and Tanker positions exactly so a proper TACAN, A/A TACAN and ICLS will come in the next update.

As for the tacan remaining when you turn the tacan off can you submit an issue on github please so we can keep track of it https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/issues

• Like 3