Hornet A2A Radar Broken? - OpenBeta

zildac

On 3/8/2021 at 3:02 AM, Padre Pio said:

I cannot disagree with your tutorial, most of the point are really helpful.

I cannot agree with the last sentence. How can you explain that most of us used the same radar 2 months ago and had no problem with the mentioned points (like PRF for example) and now - they have? 

Why does it happen, that some peaople who spent a lot of hours on DCS F-18, now  take a break and go flying to different modules they have, saying that A/A became really hard and annoying?

According to last OB patches, I cannot find any announcments from ED about any intended changes to the radar, which should make it more realistic (as some people suggest).

The official changes were directed to ECM and A/G radar which should not have influence on A/A radar or at least AA should work not worse than 2 months before.

The facts are:

- targets are dissapearing / dropping (and  it is not related to the antenna level in case of experienced users)

- WACQ is not working, other ACM systems work 5-time slower than before (in sense of locking the target)

- there was no discussion about PRF until it started to switch itself to "med" in some situations

My simple conclusion is: something got broken since the begining of January 2021 as the side effect of the other aircraft systems updates and no one wants simply to own up. I understand this is a lot hard work, that it is OpenBeta, but blaming the users for all of that is really not OK.

I could just throw all my knowledge to the trashcan and learn everything from the begining, but only after someone from ED says: "in December 2020 the radar was working wrong, it was a kind of simplifying, just an arcade, and NOW it works as intended, as a real radar". I hope it won't happen. 

I think some of the issue is ED doesn't really provide any guidance, they just push out code with parameters.

For example...  it appears in my experience that although you have a data link contact, and you know the altitude - the first thing everyone says is "you didn't set your elevation correct"

sound about right ?

What is being missed is alllllll kinda of other factors:

is bandit cold, is bandit notching, is bandit low ?   How does ED compute doppler effect. ?    We don't know unfortunately, they don't share.   They just assume dumb pilots 😉

and then... is bandit jamming ?   Lately the jamming is outrageously modeled, one mod even said 'it's way over done and will be fixed' - but we as commoners of DCS aren't supplied that - we just experience crappy performance and come to these forum posts and are told 'you must not be setting the altitude correctly. 😉

Couple of things them... PRF does matter, but it doesn't solve everything.    Bandits notching or low, or even semi notching can often be 'unlockable'.

Factor all that in - and until ED shares some information - like RB devs tend to share things around this - but ED doesn't for whatever reason - then we are all left wondering 'is this on purpose or is it broken'

Good luck!