Helicopter collective

FlyingFighter511

Hello everyone,

I'm a big simulator enthousiast, working in a helicopter environment. I've search for a long time controllers that would be perfect to feel helos but finding only too much expensive products and unlike joysticks or even hotas, even 'cheap' product were non under 300€ + taxes and delivery fees.

I'm currently developing simple, cheap, durable and easy to use helicopter collective controls.

I'd like to propose to you three different type of model:

-Alpha: Is just a simple collective with a  two way button and a simple push button.

-Warrior: Alpha big brother, same simple design but with a generic grip offering push buttons, 2-3-4 way switches, cover. *actually in development*

-Pretorian: Using the same base than the two other but coming with new option -as-you-wish- including rotary throttle grip, Gazelle, Huey, OH-58, even other helicopter not actually in DCS. *Actually in dev*

I'd like to know if some of you could be interested  (priority to EUROPE as I need to get information about US taxes and duty and laws about selling there) 

My project is to offer you an alternative to the very expensive controller you can find on internet. Actually working on improving the Alpha model, my plan is to sell this model under 100€ at the cheapest possible price only to cover new first material to continue this adventure. Other's model price aren't estimated yet as they are still in dev.

Those will be full homemade and designed by me using 3D printer technology. 

Unlike some other model, my stick will got aviation type connector wire to plug into a box containing a USB PCB, that way you can use the PCB to add more add-ons like button box, alarm repeating LEDs and so forth.

Do not hesitate if you have any question ! 🙂

Here is a little video for you helos enthusiasts ! (2 min!)

• Like 4

Nice Video, Such a pity the Littlebird will not get finished.  Some screenshots or mock ups of what you are proposing might be useful.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I built my own based on the OH-58, but not overly happy with my input results based on the wiring constraints and available hardware, I feel like the optimal solution was a Collective attached to a game controller.  interested in what you are doing, all the same.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

Just now, shu77 said:

I built my own based on the OH-58, but not overly happy with my input results based on the wiring constraints and available hardware, I feel like the optimal solution was a Collective attached to a game controller.  interested in what you are doing, all the same.

I have seen yours, I think you did a nice work indeed. Currently I use B10K linear potentiometer and I think it works great enough for a collective in DCS. But i'm also working on hall effect sensor prototype. My goal is to get collective reachable for the most people. Some don't really need a lot of fancy option and just want a simple cheap controller that is working great.

And for the other that have more specific demands on their product, it would be my pleasure realizing those challenges. I love aircraft, tech and creating/designing. I try to use the the most of what I learn from my work 🙂

ha 🙂 Thanks for the compliment.  Don't get me wrong my collective throw and even the throttle twist run well enough but without a custom PCB and well fitting switches the whole thing is difficult to do well for anything more complex than a huey or civvie jetranger/MD500, I know everyone else thats tried to build a Kiowa collective head felt the same, its a big loom in a small space....  The B10K should give you more than enough throws, in reality you dont think about collective increments in more than 1% and I think Im running about 400 steps on the collective and 250 on the throttle which is more than enough, so Im mostly interested in what your button box looks like and how you handle the transition of weight to smooth control throw on the collective. Not to distract from your thread, One day I will revisit my wiring perhaps when Kiowa launches and I have a reason, but in the meantime Im interested in anyone that offers an affordable solution that means I dont need to... Post some drawings on your proposed solution because there is a lack of affordable helo collectives which will get much much worse once the other sim releases collectives next year. 

cw1.png

Here are some pic of the prototype I actually use to develop and improve my controller.

You can find it in a basic Alpha config. Some adjustment need to be done like quotes taking in count the printer error and a bit of finishing. Wire will be gained it's just to ease the modification on mine that I leave them like this

IMG_20210309_200815.jpg

IMG_20210309_200821.jpg

Here is a preview of what could be the Warrior model right now being printed for test.

grip is inspired from a AS332 Cougar in design

poignée.PNG

capt_bob  aka on game Excaliber.HI Flying Fighters.this Basic Collective looks pretty nifty, and is much better than mine, before my warthog throttle malfunctioned I it bolted to the side of an old chair with some plastic pipework, it worked great. Next month ill be buying a virpil throttle. But I still would like a proper collective with a twist throttle. Keep us informed with your current project. And see you on DCS ..Excaliber ..

Edited by capt_bob007

Yeah that is looking good. 

cw1.png

Little update

Warrior model, 2 2pos switch , 1 3pos (unstable) switch, 3 push and one 4 way hat. The grip is easy and comfy to use, it have a slight curve profile. Friction can be set adjusting the tightness of the nut on the left side of the box, a wheel will be added in the future. 

Very pleasant to use with any dcs helicopter

The box is fixed with two bolts (on the wooden support) located on the inside face of the right surface. 

It's easy to open by just untigntening the screw passing through the central axis with the maintain and friction nut. 

IMG_20210311_122823.jpg

IMG_20210311_122856.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone ! Today's update draft prototype for UH-1 Collective. Still only the head for now, working on a good twist throttle handle. The head is sized down to match micro inverter switch in order to get a good price, biggers for 1:1 scale costs 5€ each reaching 20€ of inverters only per head and I think it's pretty expensive. By the way, I think downsized collective head helps getting the controller easier to place around or on your chair.

IMG_20210406_202353.jpg

IMG_20210406_202421.jpg

Do not pay attention about printing failure, it's only a prototype for me to test mount and validate my quotes. Definitive one will also get the under extension with start trigger ! 🙂

IMG_20210406_202524.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting, but I would be much more interested in a cyclic stick. Using a joystick that always wants to go back to center is a pain. I could of course reduce spring forces on my VRP base, but that would not be good for flying fixed wing. I have a TM WH base and I took the big spring out. But then the problem is that it doeasn't stay in the desired position.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Use a different stick for helis. Put an extension on it: you'll need the greater throw for more precision anyway. The extension also greatly reduces the spring's effectiveness due to greatly increased leverage, and increased weight. Casmo found a file to 3d print that extended his TM  T.16000m, and found the stock spring was basically no longer a factor anymore.