A-4 Skyhawk radio issue

RedeyeStorm

Hi all,

I have been trying out the Skyhawk and what an awesome job they did. But I have an issue with the Scooters radio. I have easy comms off. So I set the freq of the airport and I can talk to the ground crew, request taxi and take off but as soon as I am in the sky I loose the ability to transmit. I switch to awacs freq and I hear other pilots (AI) talking but when I talk nothing. My alter ego is not speaking at all. 

No idea if it is a Viacom issue or not but could not find anyone with this problem.

Hi all,

I have been trying out the Skyhawk and what an awesome job they did. But I have an issue with the Scooters radio. I have easy comms off. So I set the freq of the airport and I can talk to the ground crew, request taxi and take off but as soon as I am in the sky I loose the ability to transmit. I switch to awacs freq and I hear other pilots (AI) talking but when I talk nothing. My alter ego is not speaking at all. 

No idea if it is a Viacom issue or not but could not find anyone with this problem.
Yes, VAICOM needs to add support for this module. Hopefully@Hollywood_315 will soon!
One thing you can try, is speaking the command, then press the module's radio keyboard command. That sort of works for me.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Yes, VAICOM needs to add support for this module. Hopefully@Hollywood_315 will soon!
One thing you can try, is speaking the command, then press the module's radio keyboard command. That sort of works for me.
Cheers!

A couple of thoughts:

1. This sounds like a similar issue to the WW2 birds
2. As it is not an official module it might not be structured the same way for radio comms because they don't have access to the DCS SDK.@Hollywood_315 might not, therefore, be able to do this

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

• 9 months later...

Just curious if the Skyhawk is still unsupported.  I can Vaicom with canopy open no problem, but radio comms are down.

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

EDIT: Text got lost again. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, it sort of works. I suggest you map your VAICOM TX HOTAS button as to the A-4E PTT in DCS, and spam it if you get delays in the comms. And remember to hold the TX down. Back in 2.4.25 we could hold it shorter, but now I need to "plan" my comms, and hold it longer, or I will get the "command currently disabled".
I have debug turned on, so there's a lot of text, but if you read through the screen captures, you can follow easily and see it working. One sad thing is that in the latest VAICOM version, ground comms need a TX pressed while before REL/HOT worked. It is seriously annoying.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by MAXsenna

Thanks Max.  That seems to "fix" it sort of.  It was the delays in the commands that was throwing me off.  On the ground everything works normally, but get in the air and suddenly all Vaicom commands are delayed (even kneeboard).  Hitting the transmit button a couple times after giving the initial verbal command gets the desired response.

• Like 1

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

• 7 months later...

Hello.

I'm experiencing just the same issue with the A-4.

Everything works fine on the ground. But, once you're airborne it stops working.

Spamming the tx button has some random effect (mostly the first two times) but it also doesn't work after some radio calls.

It's really frustrating.

Have anyone managed to make it work properly??

Thanks for your help

Hello.
I'm experiencing just the same issue with the A-4.
Everything works fine on the ground. But, once you're airborne it stops working.
Spamming the tx button has some random effect (mostly the first two times) but it also doesn't work after some radio calls.
It's really frustrating.
Have anyone managed to make it work properly??

Thanks for your help
Try with Easy Comms on. VAICOM does not support the A-4E-C.

Thank you very much.

Apparently it has solved the issue.

Although with some limitations due to use of easy comms.

Now, ATC messages will be answered by the nearest tower no matter which radio frequency are you on.

But is a small price to pay.

Hopefully, Vaicom will add full support for the A-4 mod in the future. (Seems easy for them as it may only tackle with one or two Lua files)

Thanks again for the help

• Like 1

Thank you very much.
Apparently it has solved the issue.
Although with some limitations due to use of easy comms.
Now, ATC messages will be answered by the nearest tower no matter which radio frequency are you on.
But is a small price to pay.
Hopefully, Vaicom will add full support for the A-4 mod in the future. (Seems easy for them as it may only tackle with one or two Lua files)
Thanks again for the help
Unfortunately VAICOM is a one man show, and he has been AWOL for a while.
I successfully filled up the A-4E-C in AAR for the first time yesterday. I don't use easy comms and I never will. I don't consider it as a VAICOM issue. Remember they have reversed-engineered the whole radio without input from ED.
So, I tested it many times yesterday, said command pressed TX like five times. Then it was transmitted. I have a feeling VAICOM doesn't really know what to do, so it tries various recipients, and suddenly it hits the correct one. I have no idea, but I found my work around.
It is true though, that after DCS updates some ED modules will have the same issue (Ka-50 for a long while), or new modules. But maybe ED changed things, because the new Mirage F1 works flawlessly with VAICOM, though the module itself has issues with presets that will be fixed.