Stick (VKB F-14) going AWOL after a while in a mission

stingray77

Nah - you have to push the button to "unlock" and be able to go from Off to Guns (and back from Guns to Off for that matter) - but there's no button "under" Guns.

There's no button "under" SW, either (whereas there IS one on the Virpil).

Under SP/PH, finally, also the VKB does have this button...

Edited by stingray77

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i7 10700KF CPU @ 3.8GHz, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 8GB. 1TB SSD, VKB Gunfighter III F-14 Stick, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 with Pro Clip, Logitech G510 Keyboard, Logitech Performance MX Mouse, Sony KD-55X8005C

You're very welcome... 😉

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i7 10700KF CPU @ 3.8GHz, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 8GB. 1TB SSD, VKB Gunfighter III F-14 Stick, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 with Pro Clip, Logitech G510 Keyboard, Logitech Performance MX Mouse, Sony KD-55X8005C

Okay, first results of testing...

Hooked second screen on my rig, opened VKB's DevCfg and observed on second screen what was going on with the stick while flying DCS.

1) same training mission (Persia scenery F-14A Case I landing Supercarrier):

- on approach, when I heard the SW growling:

- in-sim weapon selector switch was in SW (sometimes Gun or SP as well)

- real life weapon selector was not!

- now: DevCfg did NOT show the weapon selector switch button lighting up!

...In one case I got the trim drifting again - no input button lighting up in DevCfg, either!

2) same setup as above - connected VKB-stick to rig without the USB-extension.

- same results as above...

So, (I thought) this appears to be some problem not connected to VKB, but DCS internal instead...

3) replaced VKB-stick with Virpil on WH-base (direct connection to PC) - same mission as above (flown twice in DCS stable and OB, each)

- no single case of trim drifting or "moving" weapon selector switch!

4) same set-up as above but with USB-extension, same mission and two different ones:

- again no single case of trim drifting or "moving" weapon selector switch!

Okay, I will do some more testing, but this DOES sound to be connceted to the VKB somehow....... But how???

You'd need some input logger. It's too short to notice any "light" on your software. So far all confirms VKB ghosting.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, seems that I got it sorted:
after seeing this thread [url]http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4776&start=15[/url], I dismantled my 200mm-extension - made sure all connections on the extension's base-end had good contact and re-assembled everything...
"My problem" didn't show up any more since then (about a week ago) 🤩 - so it appears I had a bad connection on my extension's lower end... 😬
Lucky me that the question about a faulty extension's-contact resurfaced! 🤪

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stingray77 said:

Okay, seems that I got it sorted:
after seeing this thread [url]http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4776&start=15[/url], I dismantled my 200mm-extension - made sure all connections on the extension's base-end had good contact and re-assembled everything...
"My problem" didn't show up any more since then (about a week ago) 🤩 - so it appears I had a bad connection on my extension's lower end... 😬
Lucky me that the question about a faulty extension's-contact resurfaced! 🤪

Nice to hear stingray. Sorry to mislead you with my issue - which did seem very similar. Mine so far after a reconfiguration seems to be working OK - although I've had very limited time in DCS over the past few weeks so yet to be proven.  I don't have a 200mm extension - but interesting that the bad connections were causing that issue. Good to know. Enjoy your flying. 🙂

No worries - your issue and response was encourageing to dig deeper into my troubles (and get a bit more insight into the DevCfg)... 😉

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So no more issues with the VKB 200mm extension connections? I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on one and so far this thread is the only negative I've read of on VKB's.

Also, how do you feel now about Virpil vs VKB? And do you also have a 200mm extension for the Virpil?

Any other thoughts/comments on the two greatly appreciated!

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

On 4/12/2021 at 8:06 AM, stingray77 said:

Hey

I've had it for the second time now that when flying mission "F-14A Bone Strike" after some time my stick went awol: it slowly pitched upwards (seen in F2 external view) and not even by pushing the stick fully forward I was able to bring the tailerons back to neutral... (I didn't touch the trim for that matter...)

After ending the mission (crash was unavoidable) everything was back to normal - the stick worked a-okay...

I've had it once while cruising to wp1 and yesterday shortly before returning to the carrier.

Any idea what I might have done wrong or what I could look for?

Thanks a lot for your input!

Are you getting a red light on the blackbox?

I had a similar issue, it is the twist stick. If you move the stick too far in some direction (a friend of mine had the same), somehow the twist stick module inside the grip will press on to something that disables the stick.

How I fixed it:

1. Lock the twist stick.

2. Screw the screw that locks your twist stick to "some" setting that will avoid the red light. How I do that: I deflect the stick fully, to see in which direction I get the red light on the box. (I had it happen in all 8 extremes, up, down, right, diagonal, etc). When I get the red light, I carefully and slowly screw the screw out and in again, until the red light turns green again. When that is the case, leave it. After a while of flying you might have to repeat the procedure.

There is some kind of flaw in the stick, as in the twist stick pressing on some cable or something when deflecting the stick full. Most of the sample sticks we got are going strong, but 2, including mine, had that issue.

If you do not get a red light when deflecting fully, disregard the above.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for being quiet for some time...

But no, no problems (re-)surfacing ever since. Seems it was the a.m. bad connection.

Re the Virpil: yes, I do have that one with a 200mm extension as well.

See my post of April 28 about a comparison of the two.

I am running the VKB due to it's "better" stick-"feel" - the VKB/200mm/TM WH-combo is somewhat softer than the VKB with double 50-springs...