Whistling sound always on

some1

There is a whistling sound when the aircraft is turning, much like in a P51 Mustang. That's fine, but the sound can also be heard on the ground, even with engine off.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 2 months later...

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

(I've just discovered it, I don't know if there may be any negative side effects, dependencies etc.)

It seems that the annoying sound the OP mentions comes from this file and is played in "slow motion":

<DSC install dir>\CoreMods\aircraft\I-16\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\I-16\PlaneWingTurbulence.wav

I have renamed it to "PlaneWingTurbulence.wav_ORIGINAL_BAD_HUM" and the annoying sound is gone.

Of course expect these:

1. With every DCS update you'll get a new copy of the original file, so you need to have a solution for that - some people use mod managers or version control systems etc.

2. This file will NEVER play, neither when it shouldn't, nor when it should.

Edited by scoobie
  • Thanks 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

• 2 months later...

I bought this module when it was released, somehow never tried it and just jumped into the Caucasus Cold & Dark quickstart, only to have this blasted at myself all hte time while standing still on the ground. Best first experience ever... definately needs a fix. I'll put a short and completely silent .wav file in there for the time being though.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 1 month later...

Noticed it too, would be nice if the developet could at least look at the bug reports once in a while so the module wont be absolutely broken in some time. Because the I-16 itself is a nice aircraft.

Servus! :smilewink:

My DCS:World-Modules:

A-10C, UH-1H, F-86F, Fw-190D9, MiG-21bis, P-51D, Mi-8MTV2,Bf-109K4, MiG-15bis, L-39C, Hawk, NTTR, Mirage 2000C, SA342M Gazelle.

Wishlist:

P-40, F-104G/S, Saab J-35 Draken, A-1H Skyraider, Su-17/22M4. :music_whistling:

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for bothering, but would anyone be so kind as to check if the whistling is gone or still present in the yesterday's Open Beta? I-16 went out of EA, release notes don't mention it the whistling, I know, but maybe?
I'm still in the no-free-trial period for the Donkey, can't check myself 😞

Edited by scoobie
  • Thanks 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

I haven't noticed this before so I am not entirely sure it is different now but I tried the Instant Action cold start mission last night and didn't hear anything except the usual wind noise.

I turned up the volume up all the way while cold on the ground and moved the camera far away and back in close with F2 view. I did not notice any change in sound.

• Thanks 1

Specs: Samsung Odyssey MR (VR)

MoBo ASUS Z97-K ; CPU i5-4690K 4.1GHz w/CM Hyper212 Evo; GPU GTX 980Ti; RAM 2400MHz CL11 2x8GB; SSD Samsung EVO 250GB (x2); HDD WD Blue 1TB; Case Corsair Obsidian 450D

Thrustmast T.16000M TWCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS modules: NTTR, Normandy, M-2000C, Mi-8, SA342, FC3, Ka-50, UH-1H, Bf.109K4, FW-190D9, P-51D, Hawk T.1A, CA

Thank you @Big-foot, much appreciated! I just wonder if what you say means the whistle is gone or the Donkey simply didn't whistle at everybody in the first place. It might have been a "selective" bug - some got the whistle, some didn't. Damned magic 😉

EDIT (7/25/2022): For the record - the whistling bug is gone on my PC. I'm running DCS 2.7.16.27869 Open Beta.

Edited by scoobie