(WIP) Custom flight model mod version 7 + source code

After several months of trial and error and learning from other flight model projects, I present to you:

Serval's custom Flight Model mod!

Credit goes to CptSmiley for creating the prototype F-16 FM that I edited to make this. 

You can find that here: 

What is this mod?

Every player-controlled aircraft in DCS needs a flight model (FM) along with it. For a while, modders used the FMs from Flaming Cliffs 3 (FC3) aircraft for their mods. At some point last year, an update came along that made those files encrypted, leaving modders with the terrible default FM.

The idea behind this mod was to create a flight model that imitates the Su-27/33 "game" flight mode behaviour used along with FC3 style cockpits for unofficial, community-made mods; as a replacement for the awkward and jittery default flight model

(I seem to be one of a few people to notice how awful it is. see this post of mine for a demonstration of it: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/264462-default-flight-model-is-awful-with-video-demonstration/?tab=comments#comment-4591944 )

I am not a programmer or aerodynamics expert; so I apologize if anything looks weird.

Now, before I share the files, please read the following warning:

DO NOT USE THIS MOD TO FLY OFFICIAL AIRCRAFT.

BUY THE MODULES AND SUPPORT THE DEVELOPERS!

The files can be found here:
CustomFM mod v7.zip

Here's the source codeIt may take some time for me to update this after the main mod.

Now you can fly smoothly without awkward jittering at high angles of attack!

Have fun! Be sure to check the follow the instructions in the .README file and give feedback if you have any!

Here's a few things that are still in the works:

- Cockpit controls; as of now the stick, throttle, and rudder pedals don't move at all despite input.

- Engine startup behaviour.

- Autopilot.

If you wish to integrate this into a mod and redistribute it, go ahead but please give credit to me and Cpt.Smiley.

If you wish to modify the source code and re-release it under your name, you may do so; but again, please give credit.

Version 2 changes:

+ Improved engine on/off logic.
 + Idle RPM is now 50% instead of 25%, afterburners now ignite at ~92% instead of ~85%.
 + Control surfaces now move smoothly.
 + Flaps (for aircraft that have them).
 + Digital or "keyboard" pitch and roll controls are faster.
 + Improved FBW stability and anti-stall logic, death spirals are now a lot less likely to happen.
 + Behaviour on the ground is now a bit more realistic, it now takes a bit longer to achieve takeoff speed (~300 Km/h).

Version 3 changes:

+ Improved ground handling.
 + Smoother FBW stability.
 + Tail hook functionality (for planes that have one).
 + More realistic flap and air brake aerodynamics.

Version 4 changes:

+ Reworked stability system, much improved dogfighting performance.
 + Improved afterburner thrust.
 + Corrected wheel positions and springs.
 + Cleaned up the source code, including more comments.

Version 5 changes:

+ Autopilot! Sadly, no route-following mode (yet).
 + Damage modeling. Wings, tail, and engines have their own effects on flight behaviour when damaged.
 + Using wheel brakes no longer leaves skid marks.

Version 6 changes:
 +  Smooth engine startup and shutdown (at last!) 
 +  Slightly tweaked autopilot.
 +  Stability system now behaves a bit more like the Mirage-2000 and MiG-29.
 +  Controls are a bit more responsive, especially downwards pitch.
 +  Pitch trim is slightly faster.
 +  Flaps generate a bit more lift.
 +  Fixed a bug where altitude and roll hold autopilot doesn't reset when restarting a mission.
 +  Damage modeling has been tweaked and made (somewhat) more advanced.

Version 7 changes:

+ Much stall recovery and post-stall behaviour, unrecoverable spins are pretty much impossible now.
 + Better analog roll control.
 + Slightly tweaked damage stuff.

(ps: this is the first mod I have ever published!)

Edited by Sérvalpilot
Updated the name to reflect current version
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, MNXAH4NK said:

Great, but i made all by readme file and its not working... I cant control an aircraft, it starts flight like AI.. How i can solve it? Can you see, what wrong with my entry?  entry.lua

Maybe put the "FM[1]; FM[2]" stuff before make_flyable.

Also check if the "FM" folder and "bin" folder are present, and the latter has "customFM.dll" in it.

47 минут назад, Sérvalpilot сказал:

Maybe put the "FM[1]; FM[2]" stuff before make_flyable.

Also check if the "FM" folder and "bin" folder are present, and the latter has "customFM.dll" in it.

Oh, understood. Thats ok, it works, thank you

13 minutes ago, MNXAH4NK said:

Found some bugs:
1. Idle RPM about 25%, its unnormal i think.

2. Veeery slow rolling
3. In my case all controls are not animated

Thanks for the quick response, I'll see if I can fix the idle RPM and rolling. 

Cockpit controls are still on my to-do list.

• Sérvalpilot changed the title to (WIP) Custom FM mod

thank you for this custom flight model. I tested on the Rafale des Cuesta brother. It seems promising but I have conflicts with some part, notably the afterburner lights which remain on, but also the radar display which no longer works. any idea ??

• Sérvalpilot changed the title to (WIP) Custom FM mod (version 2)

I don't understand the purpose of this... Is this directed to developers that want to port some 3D model to DCS and have some form of flight model for it? Or is this directed to general public that want to 'enhance' FC3 aircraft? I'm confused. Sorry.

2 hours ago, jacobs said:

I don't understand the purpose of this... Is this directed to developers that want to port some 3D model to DCS and have some form of flight model for it? Or is this directed to general public that want to 'enhance' FC3 aircraft? I'm confused. Sorry.

The point of this FM is for modders and regular users to use this for mod aircraft instead of the awful default flight model.

It is not intended to, and should not be used with any official aircraft.

• Like 2

I tested it, and worked very well so far.  I guess that the aerodynamics are relying on a data table somewhere in the code. Would you externalize that parameters (in a file) so that it is possible to tweak the FM without having access to source code or recompiling the DLL ?  

15 hours ago, Sérvalpilot said:

The point of this FM is for modders and regular users to use this for mod aircraft instead of the awful default flight model.

It is not intended to, and should not be used with any official aircraft.

Ok, so for instance if I model some airplane and want to test it on DCS I could 'cut corners' by using your EFM...

I still have a question though, what is the 'awful default flight model' you are mentioning? Even FC3 aircraft have good flight models nowadays... 

Is this intended to mods that still use the old SFM? If that's the case, how can we change aerodynamic and thrust values to better fit on a given model?

Edited by jacobs

3 hours ago, jjl9999 said:

Would you externalize that parameters (in a file) so that it is possible to tweak the FM without having access to source code or recompiling the DLL ?  

I plan on releasing the source code soon.

3 hours ago, jacobs said:

Is this intended to mods that still use the old SFM? If that's the case, how can we change aerodynamic and thrust values to better fit on a given model?

This is intended to be a replacement for the SFM. As it is now, this is intended to be a sort-of "universal" flight model, but I plan on releasing the source code so anyone can tweak it to suit a specific aircraft.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sérvalpilot said:

This is intended to be a replacement for the SFM. As it is now, this is intended to be a sort-of "universal" flight model, but I plan on releasing the source code so anyone can tweak it to suit a specific aircraft.

Cool man, nice to hear that. Lot's of projects should benefit from your effort if you externalize parameter. This way teams will be able to tweak parameter to make the EFM more realistic to each airframe.

• Like 2

• Sérvalpilot changed the title to (WIP) Custom FM mod (version 3)
  • Sérvalpilot changed the title to (WIP) Custom FM mod version 3 + source code