Moose - Range Script

ClausHoffmann

Currently I am producing a tutorial about basic air to ground operations and want to ship a .miz file with it to let the student fly the mission according to the tutorial. The mission is located on the Nevada map and includes a bombing range using the range script within the Moose framework together with the 476th Range Targets Package. The script (if working) is awesome and I would really like to use it to increase immersion and the training effect.

It is mentioned in the documentation that in case of a multiplayer mission using clients one needs to enter as spectator first before choosing a client to fly. I am producing a single player mission and unfortunately the script will not start at all in single player (no F10 menu item shown). The spectator role is not available in single player.

• Any way to use the script in a single player mission at all?
  • Any chance the script will be improved to work without specific loading procedures in multiplayer in the future?

Highly appreciated if somebody could help me out on this.

Best regards

Claus

• Like 1

Currently I am producing a tutorial about basic air to ground operations and want to ship a .miz file with it to let the student fly the mission according to the tutorial. The mission is located on the Nevada map and includes a bombing range using the range script within the Moose framework together with the 476th Range Targets Package. The script (if working) is awesome and I would really like to use it to increase immersion and the training effect.

It is mentioned in the documentation that in case of a multiplayer mission using clients one needs to enter as spectator first before choosing a client to fly. I am producing a single player mission and unfortunately the script will not start at all in single player (no F10 menu item shown). The spectator role is not available in single player.

• Any chance the script will be improved to work without specific loading procedures in multiplayer in the future?

Highly appreciated if somebody could help me out on this.

Best regards

Claus
There is a way to start a mission as if it was MP: set the controllable aircrafts to client instead of player. I hope, I remember it right.

Wysłane z mojego MI MAX 3 przy użyciu Tapatalka

2 hours ago, ClausHoffmann said:

Hi, the bug you mentioned (hit esc twice ...) is known in DCS since 2(3?) Years. It is reported multiple times. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Its ED, so expect a "soon" fix 🙂 (maybe 2025)

MOOSE Discord: https://discord.gg/9K8Uxj5ftu

Edited by thornx

Moose overall is working fine. I am using other functions (i.e. Atis) that are working as intended.

Using client instead of player makes it work. Looks weird, as there is only one client in the list, but at least it works. Thank you very much for the support, this community is awesome.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I am stuck at the same problem again. I am constructing a new training mission on the Marianas Islands using a bombing range on the island of Farallon de Medinill using the Moose range script. Additionally I want to use ATIS on Andersen AFB. At mission start I load first the Moose.lua and then a script produced by myself (please find this script attached). Both files appear in the miz-file as intended. I start the mission by entering as a spectator first, as discussed earlier this year above. There are no related errors in the log file (Log-file is attached as well).

About the range:

Unfortunately after entering the cockpit of my F-16C, no F10 menu appear on the radio list. I am using the newest version of the Moose framework. Has something changed? Am I doing something stupit here?

About the ATIS:

How can I find out, whether I am using the right AIRBASE data. I can find some examples from Caucasus, Nevada and Syria, but nothing about the Marianas. Is the following command correct?

"atisAndersen=ATIS:New(AIRBASE.MarianaIslands.Andersen_AFB, 118.175)"

Every advice is highly appreciated.

iron_bombing.lua dcs.log

I'm not aware of a Moose Range Script .. if you are using @Ciribob Range Script, that one uses Mist as framework, not Moose.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I try  to start  Moose by loading the Moose.lua file at Mission Start. What else do I Need to do, to implement Moose correctly in my mission? The Moose.lua file I use is more than 6 MB in size. Is that perhaps too much?

Has the other range script the same functionality? I have no experiences with Mist so far.

46 minutes ago, ClausHoffmann said:

Has the other range script the same functionality? I have no experiences with Mist so far.

As I have never used the Moose range script, it's hard for me to compare them. The Mist one is designed for Multiplayer use, but can be used on single player if you enter first the mission as Spectator and after the script loads you then select the aircraft. The aircraft must be set to Client" rather than "Player".

The functionality is basically measuring the distance between the target center and the actual impact point of your bombs or rockets. It can also be used for straffing, where instead of measuring distance, it counts how many rounds hit the target. here is a video where you can see how it look within a mission:

I'm attaching the readme of the range script, in case you want to look how it is configured within the mission editor:

README.md

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

1 hour ago, ClausHoffmann said:

I try  to start  Moose by loading the Moose.lua file at Mission Start. What else do I Need to do, to implement Moose correctly in my mission? The Moose.lua file I use is more than 6 MB in size. Is that perhaps too much?

You need to load an actually MOOSE script file after loading MOOSE itself.  For example a file containing:

TOPGUNRANGE = RANGE:New("TOP GUNNERY RANGE")

local strafepit={"strafe_1","strafe_2","strafe_3"}

strafe_fouldistance = TOPGUNRANGE:GetFoullineDistance("strafe_1", "strafe_foul_line")

TOPGUNRANGE:AddStrafePit(strafepit, 3000, 600, 270, true, 20, strafe_fouldistance)

TOPGUNRANGE:Start()

Everything "in quotes" (except for "TOP GUNNERY RANGE") is the name of a group in the ME. See the MOOSE RANGE documentation page I linked above, there are example missions already built if you would like to learn more. 

This is really all that's needed to set up strafing targets.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

1 minute ago, ClausHoffmann said:

I assume this is not possible with the Mist range script?

Probably not, On my missions I get that info from the Briefing.

Just like the person who posted earlier, the log doesn't show that Moose was actually loaded.

When correctly loaded, you'll have lines like these:

2021-12-26 20:30:33.150 INFO    SCRIPTING: *** MOOSE STATIC INCLUDE START *** 
2021-12-26 20:30:33.280 INFO    SCRIPTING:   4431( 74157)/I:                          BASE00000.?(Tracing in MOOSE is OFF)
2021-12-26 20:30:33.280 INFO    SCRIPTING: *** MOOSE INCLUDE END *** 

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

Thanks to all for your replies. Your help and support is highly appreciated. @fargo007was right, Moose was not started in my mission in the first place. I did, what @buursuggested and have figured out that my way of starting Moose was wrong. I fiddled around now finding the proper way to start Moose at mission start. Now the log file has the lines suggested by @fargo007. This being out of the way I now have to test the modules I am using in my mission (RANGE and ATIS). Hopefully this is now a little bit easier. Thanks again and have a nice evening.