F14 instant action BVR On the devil's end AIM54 problem

Macias671603

Good Day Pilots

Just want to ask if anybody can try to engage two migs 29 in instant mission "on the devil's end." Syria

I dont know what is going on or what I'm doing wrong. Simple engage with Aim's 54 no matter wich version no matter which mode, no matter which altitude and distance. Missiles stop tracking like 1.5 miles before targets. And the funny part is... that the bandits are not even going defensive. Just little bit notch.  Im not saying that this is bug,  im only asking if somebody can replay this mission and report his results.

Many thanks

Cheers

JuSt FlYing :pilotfly:

Would they normally notch at missile launch? This really confuses me, because before 2.7, the AI didn’t notch right after launch. I think that’s why Fox 3s are having more difficulty for a kill. The constant notching after launch hinders the track/re-acquire therefore the misses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Right. That’s what I am saying. It seems the AI have telepathy and knows when a Fox 3 has launched. They didn’t do that before, hence they have a head start to defeat missiles. I am now very confused as to what is right and wrong now.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Not long ago ED implemented this AI behavior as a simulation of defence against possible silent shots. Something a smart pilot would do dealing with TWS capable opponent.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Interesting. I didn’t know there was a way to know when a launch occurred beside seeing a smoke trail.

Oh well, I guess long shots are a thing of the past again against super-human AI.

• Like 1

Right. I can understand completely if the AI constantly notches left and right before a missile launch, but the AI just “knowing” kind of kills the realism because no human can know in regards to TWS until a pit bull.

• Like 1

Of course it can be improved but I'm glad they started with something like this.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 5/11/2021 at 10:34 AM, Macias671603 said:

Good Day Pilots

Just want to ask if anybody can try to engage two migs 29 in instant mission "on the devil's end." Syria

I dont know what is going on or what I'm doing wrong. Simple engage with Aim's 54 no matter wich version no matter which mode, no matter which altitude and distance. Missiles stop tracking like 1.5 miles before targets. And the funny part is... that the bandits are not even going defensive. Just little bit notch.  Im not saying that this is bug,  im only asking if somebody can replay this mission and report his results.

Many thanks

Cheers

Weird...i flew that mission some time ago and didn't experience any issues. But will try again tonight, maybe things have changed in the meantime.....

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Here's my attempt. The first one completely botched, but the second one just barely did it!

On 5/12/2021 at 8:49 PM, draconus said:

Not long ago ED implemented this AI behavior as a simulation of defence against possible silent shots. Something a smart pilot would do dealing with TWS capable opponent.

Meh, any AI behavior that ends up in unrealistic and non-authentic tactics just to make things work is an insult to this  game being called a sim. Especially when proper tactics no longer work. ED might as well give us pea shooters or slings and spears if every fight against an AI ends up in a merge.

• Like 5

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 5/14/2021 at 9:26 AM, draconus said:

The AI technically knows. The human has to assume. The result is the same.

It's totally not the same - if you assume and you're wrong, you're only making your position worse, by giving the opponent a window of oppportunity to push closer as HE knows, that he didn't fire. And he did not waste any ordnance.

The AI knows when you launch, starts immidiate chaff employment (?!) and goes evasive. He acts directly agaist your missile and only when you launch. He will not make a mistake in evading a supposed launch where there was none. Thus he always reacts 100% correctly to the situation, where his knowledge should be limited.

In this case, TWS shots totally lose all their tactical sense, whatsoever. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yes it does, and it’s kinda the point. Any competent pilot that knows an F14 has them illuminated and also knows the range of the AIM54 will throw in a check turn every so often specifically to trash your TWS shot if it’s in the air. 

You can always send your wingman after number 2 and go STT then offset and hold your f-pole. Perfectly realistic.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AH_Solid_Snake said:

Yes it does, and it’s kinda the point. Any competent pilot that knows an F14 has them illuminated and also knows the range of the AIM54 will throw in a check turn every so often specifically to trash your TWS shot if it’s in the air. 

You can always send your wingman after number 2 and go STT then offset and hold your f-pole. Perfectly realistic.

The problem is, how does the AI MiG-23 or 29 or Su-27, with it's relatively limited RWR, know, it's being painted by an F-14 and not something else?

This omniscient AI solution to try to simulate expected behaviour is not a good solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, Cpt. Weber said:

The problem is, how does the AI MiG-23 or 29 or Su-27, with it's relatively limited RWR, know, it's being painted by an F-14 and not something else?

This omniscient AI solution to try to simulate expected behaviour is not a good solution.

Lets imagine they are following Soviet doctrine and have GCI support? 

I think the Phoenix has some obvious limitations with the sharp transition to PN tracking at the end of the flight and I don't claim the DCS AI is perfect. But I think manage expectations for being a 1 ship murder machine?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AH_Solid_Snake said:

I think the Phoenix has some obvious limitations with the sharp transition to PN tracking at the end of the flight and I don't claim the DCS AI is perfect. But I think manage expectations for being a 1 ship murder machine?

Sure, but I'm really not expecting the single F-14 to be a murder machine, nor find this mission this thread refers to hard to do, tbh.

I'm here only, because I don't like how the new changes of the AI behaviour are shaping. It seems much like faking the difficulty by making AI omniscent.

I would also argue, the immidiate usage of chaff can also fiddle with the modeling of the missiles itself, where ED now has to take the strange behaviour they created themselves into account while modeling the chaff resistance of the Fox-3s.

I have doubts about this kind of realism.

Edited by Cpt. Weber
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 9:26 AM, draconus said:

The AI technically knows. The human has to assume. The result is the same.

I'm sorry, and please don't take this personally but this is complete and utter hogwash. 

• Like 4

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Caution Spoilers. Ive been playing Reforger the past few days and as soon as I got to mission 5 and 6 where there some A2A action, I started having issues. Cannot get a single kill with Phoenix from several different ranges.  It’s tracking because it lofts but then just seems to be easily beaten.  I invariable end up eating an r27 before I can get a sparrow off the rail.  It’s really ruined the sim for me along with the AMRAAM issues.  

Edited by Mike789
Spelling

On 5/17/2021 at 11:13 PM, AH_Solid_Snake said:

Eh? The AI reacts this way fired at by R-77, AIM-120, AIM-9, R-73........ virtually by anything that it shouldn't know it's being fired upon. This makes the AI's useless in portrayal of any kind of believable threat. By which i don't mean they aren't a threat, cause they are. It's just that fighting them in any authentic manner leads to failure. It's a scenario very similar to how some gen II and gen III fighters, because of their silly flight models (when flown by AI's) are more of a threat in BFM then the gen IV aircraft. It completely makes the mission ..... well, not believable, though surely more challenging. Now, if you like that approach to making the missions more challenging, more power to you. Some however, do not. Personally, i feel the same like making a Formula 1 race track full of bumps, so it will be more...... difficult. It most certainly will be. But it's no longer a Formula 1 race track 😕

• Like 1

7 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

The AI reacts this way fired at by R-77, AIM-120, AIM-9, R-73........ virtually by anything that it shouldn't know it's being fired upon.

What about AI that didn't detect you yet? Ie. start behind him with radar off and shoot a heater.

On 5/17/2021 at 2:14 AM, Cpt. Weber said:

This pretty much. This game is hard enough without the AI resorting to cheating. And if we want to include "realism" in the discussion, then this type of behavior is even worse. With that said, if this is indeed the approach that Eagle Dynamics have taken then I guess I will have to forego single-player air-to-air combat entirely, and just stick to PvP servers. 

Bye, bye meticulously designed Heatblur campaigns. I feel bad for your mission & campaign designers. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

41 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I guess I will have to forego single-player air-to-air combat entirely

Doesn't look like you play SP anyway. I play and I can tell you not much have changed. The missiles sometimes miss - so act accordingly. Please don't exaggerate to make a point.

12 hours ago, draconus said:

What about AI that didn't detect you yet? Ie. start behind him with radar off and shoot a heater.

I don't think there's a reliable way to know the AI hasn't figured out that. I mean, i guess it always knows, or at least it did, but i think ED implemented blind spots. The AI does kick flares though even when not fired at. A single kick BTW. Beats me why......