3070 with Quest 2 VR FPS issues?

HurricaneZook

Hey all,

Just finally starting to get into DCS on VR, and not sure how to configure it properly with 2.7?

I have great framerates with most settings on High or Extreme on iRacing with 1.5 set in native for Oculus with 90hz and no dips at all in my framerate on there, but my FPS on DCS is basically unplayable. That or the graphics are super blurry and does not seem right at all compared to what I see on YouTube. I know these games aren't exactly similar, but performance wise I know what I have and it just seems off to me having one perform so well, while the other is the opposite.

Any help or advice? Have 32gb of RAM and an i7-9700k as well. I also set the encode bitrate to 300 and set it to 0 and didn't seem to have much change with that.

If anyone has a step-by-step tutorial of what to do or what they have, that would be great.

Thanks!

Edited by HurricaneZook

• HurricaneZook changed the title to 3070 with Quest 2 VR FPS issues?

there are a few quest 2 threads here that may be able to help as they have some tweak settings and such.. I was wondering thos is this with the Airlink or cable connection?

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/270861-new-setup-quest-2/?tab=comments#comment-4657949

Forget what the other games do DCS is a bit different..

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4-AC / Intel i7 11700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVME 2TB  /  MSI 4070Ti Ventus GPU /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar  / Buttkicker Gamer 2

8 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

there are a few quest 2 threads here that may be able to help as they have some tweak settings and such.. I was wondering thos is this with the Airlink or cable connection?

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/270861-new-setup-quest-2/?tab=comments#comment-4657949

Forget what the other games do DCS is a bit different..

This is with OEM Link Cable.

Edited by HurricaneZook

i honestly didn't see much difference between AIR LINK and the Cable, but I need to connect the Cable again and see if I can upgrade some settings that I couldn't with AIRLINK now that I have more experience with how thinks look in AIRLINK.

When I used the CABLE, I cranked the ENCODE BITRATE up to 500 but I don't know if that really improved anything.  I have never been able to connect AIR LINK AT ALL at higher than 72 Hz, and my recollection was that while I could get a connection at 80 Hz with the Cable, it led to more artifacts.

DCS is pretty demanding and I haven't seen FPS greater than 36-40 (mostly 36 and below) in the PIT. Seems a lot smoother though so I don't know if the built in DCS Frame Counter is really applicable to VR DIRECTLY.

The setting that seemed to help a lot was cranking up the RESOLUTION in the OCULUS APP to the first 1.1 setting (I forget the resolution but I think I put it in one of the other threads here).  Playing with Pixel Density in DCS and Oculus Debug tools also helped with blurriness.

DEFINITELY not as sharp as a regular monitor, but cockpit labels, switches and DDI's are completely readable, especially if you lean forward a little. ZOOM is not HUGE like TIR, but it is enough to see the DDI's better. You can also map a VR ZOOM button but I don't find it too useful unless I want to momentarily zoom in on the FLIR or the ground through the HUD.

Edited by Recluse

Most VR titles in general aren't going to be anywhere near the resource hogs that DCS and other flight sims are going to be in VR.  

Your framerates in iRacing don't really matter.   Even if they did model race tracks and everything else to the level of detail things are modelled in DCS it would be one tiny section of a DCSW map. 

IMO start from the VR preset settings in DCS.   At 1.5PD expect to need to run with ASW on.   The 3070 is also an 8GB card.  3090 users have been reporting anywhere to 16-21GB of VRAM usage in VR.     I myself can easily run into situations where my 11GB of VRAM is maxed while flying DCSW.  

Go with low ground textures, medium textures, high water, and set pretty much everything else to taste.   MSAA even at 2x is a big ask out of DCS since 2.5.6, but you might be able to get away with at least that if you can lower your VRAM usage.  

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I just did some testing with Link Cable at 90 Hz, Oculus Res at 4224x2128, Encode bitrate at 500, Encode Res Width 3924

DCS Pixel Density 1.4

Medium Textures, Low Ground Texture, Water HIGH

2x MSAA

16X Anisotropic

Pretty good maxing out at half of the 90 Hz value (45 FPS) and sustained between 38-40.  Pretty good and smooth.

Tried Maxing out textures and raising RESOLUTION, and it was still playable but a little lower FPS and a little more Shimmer.

It was better than AirLink but not SO much better that I won't go Wireless for convenience MOST of the time.

My AIRLINK settings are pretty much the same except 72 Hz and Encode bitrate set to 0 (default)

My specs are similar to OP:

RTX 3070

i7 10700K

32 GB Ram

Edited by Recluse