Map Integration

Tinkickef

Crossposted from Ugra Syria.  Apologies but I figure the powers that be may watch this thread closer than Ugra's.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think a good way for ED and their partners to go would be to produce the technology to join the maps.

For instance, Ugra could do Iraq next and those who bought Syria and Iraq could fly seamlessly between the two.  Perhaps via a triggered buffer zone that starts loading the next map into RAM as you cross it.  That way you only have one map loaded at a time.  The buffer zone only needs to be maybe a couple of minutes flying time across.

Then add another module going south from the Syria map, through southern Isreal and onto Egypt or Jordan.

The map makers get their ongoing income stream and we get an ever expanding and super detailed world.

I don't think the scattergun approach is the best way.

In the same way, ED could finish the Marianas, then do the Philippines and onto Thailand / Vietnam and join those together.  Or do Vietnam as the next major and eagerly awaited one and then join them with the Philippines.

Maybe some would think the Philippines would not be a popular map, but I reckon most of those who had bought Vietnam would buy the Philippines just to join with the Marianas.  I know I would.

Add in a zero and betty module, countered by hellcat and TBD / SBD modules and you have the makings of an epic pacific campaign.

I think ED really needs to develop a standardised technology that allows maps to be joined.

Its a win win situation, but the map makers will need to commit to one area of the globe.

Other opinions are available....

Edited by Tinkickef
  • Like 1

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

6 minutes ago, Tinkickef said:

I think a good way for ED and their partners to go would be to produce the technology to join the maps.

For instance, Ugra could do Iraq next and those who bought Syria and Iraq could fly seamlessly between the two.  Perhaps via a triggered buffer zone that starts loading the next map into RAM as you cross it.  That way you only have one map loaded at a time.  The buffer zone only needs to be maybe a couple of minutes flying time across.

The map makers get their ongoing income stream and we get an ever expanding and super detailed world.

I don't think the scattergun approach is the best way.

In the same way, ED could finish the Marianas, then do the Philippines and onto Thailand / Vietnam and join those together.  Or do Vietnam as the next major and eagerly awaited one and then join them with the Philippines.

I think ED really needs to develop a standardised technology that allows maps to be joined.

Its a win win situation, but the map makers will need to commit to one area of the globe.

Other opinions are available....

Something that has been long requested before, and yes I would love to see it - especially if the end dream/goal is to have a world map. How I think it would work is we have a very basic mesh and textures (most likely just satellite photos) and have our current terrains overwrite certain areas - in exactly the same fashion as plenty of other flight simulators.

As for the technology - the main thing I'm interested in is transforming our current flat maps into ones that fit on a sphere - as maps get larger (such as for instance, bridging maps together) having them flat becomes less and less accurate and tbh it's already an issue with current maps.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 5/16/2021 at 2:15 AM, Northstar98 said:

As for the technology - the main thing I'm interested in is transforming our current flat maps into ones that fit on a sphere - as maps get larger (such as for instance, bridging maps together) having them flat becomes less and less accurate and tbh it's already an issue with current maps.

^this^

Most definitely!

• Like 2

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU