Russian version -> Patching to other locales

Murphyd

Just a thought. Keen as I am to get my hands on BS, I don't think I can justify buying the Russian version now and buying the English version when it's made available.

My question therefore is whether there is any possibility that the Russian version could be patched to a different language later on?

Something that happened with ArmA, it was initially released the same way; I got a hold of the first copy out and about a week later the community had a language mod to convert all text to english. Maybe something like that will happen here?

I'll buy and download the Russian version as soon as the english manual is available. I'm not concerned with the Russian text in the cockpit. Misions however may be a little more daughnting.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Hey Renato

Thats good news:thumbup:, do you have some "how to" description about it?:book:

McDan out

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit

Hey Renato

Thats good news:thumbup:, do you have some "how to" description about it?:book:

McDan out

Well, it was both easy and complicated at the same time. Translating itself was not complicated. Locating the files and to determine which string is displayed on what string - that was bore.

On a first run I used comparing application to find diffs between Eng and Russ edition (borrowed eng edition from a friend). Some strings are located in files from one folder, some are in another folder, and some are pics in cdds files. For instance, Mission editor in total calls string from 5 files: meinit.xml for units and weapons, one file for strings, another for tooltips, pics for buttons (OK, FLY...) and pics for weapons in payload editor.

Some files are easy to work with. Like, in folder FUI/languageversion/ there is Common.cfg. Here is a same line from

Russian:

Loading__ground__objects_PERIOD__PERIOD__PERIOD_ = "Çŕăđóçęŕ íŕçĺěíűő îáúĺęňîâ...";

English:

Loading__ground__objects_PERIOD__PERIOD__PERIOD_ = "Loading ground objects...";

I worked on many localization projects, and there is one thing on which you can count in 90% of the cases - programmers hate to work with translators. Translators are just a nuisance to them. They don't like to talk to them, and they will never make translators job easy - to make an application easy to localize. So, LO/FC was localization-unfriendly, and I do not beleive they will change anythning from above example.

Some of my work is described here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=18912

I don't think there is much need to discuss this in great depth, until we see how DCS is actually organized :D

I'm selling MiG-21 activation key.

Also selling Suncom F-15E Talon HOTAS with MIDI connectors, several sets.

Contact via PM.

I'm in contact with several persons from CIS. Getting DCS is not a problem - the problem is how to pay them? Paypal does not support CIS and most ex-USSR countries, and bank transfer is very expensive in my country (fees are about 10-25 USD, depending on the amount and destination bank). Several of my buddies expressed their wish to have a Russian version, so it is even harder to arrange payment. Cash in envelope is out of the question.

Still, 7 days to go, enough time to arrange something... And I do not believe that even on the 17th the DCS will be available in all CIS shops, only on selected sales points (major cities and such). I presume it will take 3-7 days until it reaches all CIS shops, and after that about 10-20 days until the (God willing) package arrives :)

I'll keep you posted...

I'm selling MiG-21 activation key.

Also selling Suncom F-15E Talon HOTAS with MIDI connectors, several sets.

Contact via PM.

Hey Renato

Thanks for the intresting info :thumbup::thumbup::joystick:

Cheers

McDaniel

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit