Apache load outs

Hunter D

On 6/27/2021 at 10:18 AM, UnlikelyGM said:

In our squadron we put the rockets on the outboard stations because on the inboard stations the rocket exhaust during a bigger ripple could flameout the engines.

I'm sure the risk is small and there's different philosophies in other units, but that's our reasoning.

My understanding also. 

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

• ED Team
12 minutes ago, Wizard_03 said:

Can/are external fuel tanks used in combat? Or just ferry? 

They are intended for just ferry, but there has been instances in the past external fuel tanks were carried in combat out of necessity. Desert Storm 1991, Afghanistan, Iraq 2003.

There are newer "crash-tolerant" external fuel tanks used by AH-64E's, but not AH-64D's.

Edited by Raptor9

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

hace 4 horas, AlphaOneSix dijo:

The rocket steering cursor is used in both co-operative as well as independent rocket engagements. The pylons articulate automatically, commanded by the fire control computer, with the top and bottom horizontal lines of the rocket steering cursor ("I" beam) indicating the pylon limit of travel. The aircrew have no control over pylon articulation.

I don't recall seeing a fixed mode for the rockets in the Block I or II, is that something that was added on the Block III? My manuals cover both Block I and II and there is no mention of a fixed rocket firing mode with a circle inside the rocket steering cursor.

I don't have the block 2 manual at hand, it's too large for my phone, but the aerial rocket system and a later manual talk about the Fixed mode.

Apparently it is selected with WPN RKT R2 button, between MODE NORM and FIXED.

It is very poorly explained in the TM, but the ARS SH says pylons containing available 
rockets of the selected type are positioned to +3.48 
degrees, and a unique CCIP constraint symbol is presented.

The CCIP symbol looks like the Rocket steering cursor with a circle in the middle representing the CCIP rockets at target.

I used to confuse the Fixed mode with the independent mode.

I will check the 2005 Blk 2 manual to see if there is info about it too.

--Edit:

It's right, the 2005 TM doesn't talk about it, I believe it's a later addition to both block 2 and block 3 aircraft.

The first mention I get is from April 2009.

Perhaps it was available earlier, no idea.

ED appears to be modelling a rather late 2000s WPN page.

Edited by DaemonPhobos
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2021 at 5:00 PM, Raptor9 said:

On a separate note, I was also hoping it was going to be an AH-64A prior to the announcement. Still happy we're getting what we are though.

I was personally really hoping for the D model, since for me the main thing I like to fiddle with in DCS are the avionics (I'm the kinda guy who'd rather ride backseat in the F-14), and felt that if we were to get a less "advanced", lighter and nimble version of the Apache, I'd honestly rather have a HueyCobra to go all out on the small and light side. 😃

• 2 weeks later...

I have a book on the Israeli Apaches and I have yet to find a picture of them with any loadout other than 2 tanks and 2 Hellfire racks.  That seems to be their standard loadout.  No rocket pods in use at all that I could find a pic of.  I do hope we get fuel tanks and MPSM rockets.  I remember back in the old Longbow 2 days the MPSM being my favorite weapon.  

MD

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier