Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Searchlight & 88 batteries

rkk01

1 minute ago, SUNTSAG said:

Simply use the templates that have been provided in the ME

Sorry, that one has gone straight past…😳

I have placed battery items - groups of 88s and nearby groups of searchlights. Is it not enough to place the land asset items from the menu picklist?

5 minutes ago, razo+r said:

No, they dont need a radar, but they need a Maschinensatz though.

1 per gun / searchlight or per battery??

I’m playing with night Ops and it’s a steep learning curve…!

One Maschinensatz in the vicinity of one or more searchlights. The guns dont need it. 

In the night tough, I guess they cant fire because they dont see anything. If the light doesnt help, you might need the optical tracker or a radar aswell for night ops. 

• Thanks 1

One Maschinensatz in the vicinity of one or more searchlights. The guns dont need it. 

In the night tough, I guess they cant fire because they dont see anything. If the light doesnt help, you might need the optical tracker or a radar aswell for night ops. 

Will have a play. I really wanted the searchlights / flak to act as a visual guide for my Wilde Sau flying - as we don’t have GCI

I started playing with night Ops as a challenge for my Anton flying…

It’s proving both interesting and challenging, and closely aligned with my current reading / research…

6 months ago I posted that nightfighter Ops would be pointless.  Now I’m fully convinced the other way around - after all we fight BVR for the modern aircraft.  For WW2 the acquire / track is “BVR”, but the shoot down is still visual. Getting behind and below the target, to get them silhouetted against the lighter sky is quite a thrill

and of course, we have the Mosquito FB.VI on its way and that will need some night intruder missions😉

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 1

Well, that was terrifying…!

(and DCS at its atmospheric best)

Placing the Maschinensatz certainly got the 88s to open up, but not the searchlights🤔

Even so, the flak was devastating - and mesmerising to watch, slightly offset from the bomber stream….

Sky lit by a full moon on layered cloud, high level 88 bursts and four engined bombers dropping earthwards on fire.

Some managed to keep going, but as they lost altitude the light flakvierling batteries opened up - curving arcs of fire reaching up to the damaged bombers

Now - to get the searchlights working…!

ETA - searchlights working…! Thanks @SUNTSAG  Adds even more to the immersion

AI air gunners are too keen though - reinforces my view that the game just gives AI units your xyz coords from the game engine 😕

Edited by rkk01

Thanks @razo+r

I have got the lights working using the static object templates suggested in @SUNTSAG’s video.  That approach drops the entire unit incl support and personnel - very easy and effective.

I don’t know if many folks have flown WW2 night Ops, but the visuals are absolutely breathtaking 

• Like 1