Proper VL DAI/"witches hat" position

Aernov

Should DAI be kept on horizon during VL on stationary surface? Hover is maintained with it on horizon and nozzles at 82 degrees, but on touchdown nose wheel ends up high above the surface, while IRL videos show almost simultaneous nose- and main wheel touchdown. Should nose be lowered just before landing? Or higher nozzle angle is used IRL?

Screen_210811_225104.png

• Like 1

Also, doesn't plane's attitude look a bit exaggerated for the indicated AoA? It has relatively small wings, so higher AoA is expected, but it looks like it struggles to fly and holds in the air only by engine power even at decent speeds.

Безымянный.png

On the screenshot altitude is high (VREST Cruise recommended, getting this high is a struggle with heavy and draggy payloads, and maintaining recommended Mach number is sometimes impossible with time-unlimited engine ratings), so AoA is high too, and after measuring the angle (in GIMP and with no real reference for wing axis, so as imprecise as possible) it is pretty close to indicated, but still it looks a bit much for me. Maybe I need to watch more IRL videos to correct my impression.

I'm curious about this as well. I recall procedure for one of the landing types (FNSL?) was to raise the witch hat to +2 degrees while maintaining 8-10 units AoA and power to keep 200-400fpm descent. This is impossible as you will hit 12-13 units AoA in doing so in the sim.

I also recall years ago there was debate on the airframe's axis. I think in relation to the nozzles when at the hover stop, but it might be related. 

Edited by Nealius