Detailed Operational Manual and Pocket guide

scoobie

The Harrier is out of EA and it's being advertised as in the topic's title - supposedly it now has the "Detailed Operational Manual". I know that some time ago BD was working on it, but is it finished yet? I don't want to launch "Free to Play Program" (you have only one try every half a year) only to discover the manual (the big one, not the pocket guide) is not there and I have to guess how the aircraft works.

Yes, I know, I can download "dash one" or NATOPS or whatever, but then I also need to guess what's modelled in the sim and what is not. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun, especially if the shop tells me I'm getting the manual for the simulated Harrier - that's exactly what I need.

harrier_in_the_shop.png

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Just heads up for those who do not know there are Player based Downloadable Check list, Start Up Procedures, even on Knee Boards check them out in the Download section,     There are some really nice ones but seems that not one for every Aircraft DCS has to offer thou you will just have to give it a look over.

Thank you, guys! 🙂

Special thanks to @MAXsenna for the fantastic tip, I didn't realize this was possible. For any complex A/C I'd very much like to read some about it first, only then try and fly.

Those 14 days of Free to Play are on one hand generous and I appreciate it, but on the other they scale (down) according to your job/family/etc. schedule, so it's best to use them mostly for the "try and fly" part, not reading. Now I can (just checked - it works)! Thanks, man! :drinks_cheers:

• Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Thank you, guys!
Special thanks to @MAXsenna for the fantastic tip, I didn't realize this was possible. For any complex A/C I'd very much like to read some about it first, only then try and fly.
Those 14 days of Free to Play are on one hand generous and I appreciate it, but on the other they scale (down) according to your job/family/etc. schedule, so it's best to use them mostly for the "try and fly" part, not reading. Now I can (just checked - it works)! Thanks, man! :drinks_cheers:

Thank you!
Glad to help!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 2:35 PM, MAXsenna said:

Download the module by command line or utility, and grab the manual.
Uninstall before playing. Will not affect your free to play.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Can you explain how you do this? 

57 minutes ago, XpRiV said:

Can you explain how you do this? 

Well, I've never tried by command line as I use Skatezilla's excellent updater/launcher.

But when you have correctly set it up, it's just a matter of selecting the "aircraft modules" tab, checking the module(s) you want, and select install.
Then you just browse to the path in Windows Explorer and copy the manual to your documents folder or whatever.
Then you go back to the Launcher and uninstall the module.
All this is done without starting DCS.

The path will be something like 
"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS\Mods\Aircraft" depending on where you installed DCS.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Or if you want to stick to the very dcs_updater, here's the link to full documentation of this utility:

In short:
1. Run command line.
2. Navigate to <DCS dir>\bin\
3. Type: DCS_Updater.exe install MODULE_ID
where MODULE_ID should be typed exactly as given in this table:

For example, for Harrier the MODULE_ID is RAZBAM_AV8BNA (as given in the table), so you'd type:

DCS_Updater.exe install RAZBAM_AV8BNA

4. Don't forget to uninstall 🙂 (DCS_Updater.exe uninstall MODULE_ID). You can't fly a plane you don't own, so there's no point in wasting space on SSD/HDD.

5. Last but not least: all manuals for ED modules (and for the Viggen) are readily available straight from their website:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/

• Like 2