Mig-21 vs F-5E

Czechnology

I'm feeling comfortable with all the systems in the fishbed, but I'm not feeling comfortable with the actual "fun" part of engaging in fights. I've been playing on the 1947-1991 Cold War server from Alpenwolf and seeing SOME success, specifically in just creeping up on enemies who aren't paying attention to their AWACs. But my question is what do I do in any other situation against the dreaded F-5 menace? If I end up in a situation where it's turn with the enemy or die, what do I do? This is operating on the (usually) safe assumption he has his Aim-9s on board, where unless I'm able to make some significant distance extending away just won't work.
Is it just a hopeless battle of staying alive and keeping your fingers crossed they make some horrible mistake, or is there some characteristic of the Mig that can give me an edge?

I know all dogfights are horrendously situational so it's hard to give catchall advice, but any advice is appreciated. 

Attempt to fight him in the Two circle, the F-5 is superior to the 1 circle fight where he can trade energy for angles. Also, remember you have a emergency Afterburner , use it if you need to . Reminder to not use the Afterburner for too long as it may cause your engine to flame out. That's all I got 

The F-5 is far more superior in two circle than one circle. It will out-sustain you in that regime unless the pilot is extremely inexperienced, no matter what speed you fly at it will still either hold neutral or out-rate you. The 21 can get squirrelly at low speed and it opens you up to being third partied, as well as leaving you with less options, but fighting in the one circle is an option and it's one area where you can do reasonably well with some experience. If you're not confident in your ability to avoid stalling out, or you're worried about another guy joining in, keep your speed up and play the vertical. You have an enormously better thrust-to-weight ratio, climb rate, acceleration, and top speed, and the higher the fight goes the more clearly superior you are. The F-5 will probably want to keep the fight down low where his aircraft's disadvantages are least noticeable, so you can just perch above him and swoop if he does that.

• Like 1

I fly on Alpenwolf's server too, and usually on the red side as they will more often than not have the fewer players. Not that I'm any good, because I'm not, but I find that ensuring that you go into a fight fast and with plenty of fuel to burn is the only way, and then play them at the vertical game.

Another quirk of this particular server plays into the hands of the Fishbed at little bit, as Alpenwolf is very strict on the weapon load outs that you can take. This has obviously been done to balance the sides (otherwise the blues would just send waves of Viggens and clusterbomb the reds to death)and as a result only rear aspect ir aim missles are availiable for both sides. However there is an exception for the reds, in the form of the usually woeful R3-R. I like to keep a couple of pylons free for this missle on the Fishbed, because with it you can gain a front aspect lock and fire your weapon at an oncoming F5, and whilst your adversary is thinking "ehhh?! WTF" it's to late for them.

I only know this trick because I have fallen victim to it myself, and it's a nice little ace up the sleeve for the 21

• Thanks 1

Kit: i9 10900k, Rog Strix RTX 4090, Asus Rog strix Z490 Mobo, 64 GB, Varjo Aero HMD running Open VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster Pendular rudder peddles

MODS: Pretty much all of them

On 11/5/2021 at 12:09 AM, Czechnology said:

I'm feeling comfortable with all the systems in the fishbed, but I'm not feeling comfortable with the actual "fun" part of engaging in fights. I've been playing on the 1947-1991 Cold War server from Alpenwolf and seeing SOME success, specifically in just creeping up on enemies who aren't paying attention to their AWACs. But my question is what do I do in any other situation against the dreaded F-5 menace? If I end up in a situation where it's turn with the enemy or die, what do I do? This is operating on the (usually) safe assumption he has his Aim-9s on board, where unless I'm able to make some significant distance extending away just won't work.
Is it just a hopeless battle of staying alive and keeping your fingers crossed they make some horrible mistake, or is there some characteristic of the Mig that can give me an edge?

I know all dogfights are horrendously situational so it's hard to give catchall advice, but any advice is appreciated. 

the mig-21 is better than the f5 at the lower speeds. https://dcs.silver.ru/1,101,9,74,lbs,turnrate . study this and try new things, remember with these planes you wont come around fast, its a long fight if both pilots have their heads on, good luck 🙂

• Thanks 1