CV-59 meatball light is the wrong shape

evanf117

9 hours ago, Tank50us said:

I hate to burst your bubble dude, but that's a more modern OLS, likely seen on a Nimitz class. Here's one on Abraham Lincoln:
a-view-of-the-fresnel-lens-optical-landi

Here's one that's aboard USS Ranger, one of CV59s sisters:

optical-landing-system-ols-on-the-uss-ra

its still the same light is my point so it should be a flat line light non a round light
thats why i said "i dont think this is the same boat but it is the same light" as in its not the same cv but its the same light system

On 11/6/2021 at 2:09 AM, evanf117 said:

its still the same light is my point so it should be a flat line light non a round light
thats why i said "i dont think this is the same boat but it is the same light" as in its not the same cv but its the same light system

Incorrect. The Forrestal as modelled had an FLOLS system not an IFLOLS as the newer carriers. The IFLOLS switched to a newer sharper fiber optic light source so you can’t use those as examples of how the Forrestals FLOLS should look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/10/2021 at 4:14 AM, Naquaii said:

Incorrect. The Forrestal as modelled had an FLOLS system not an IFLOLS as the newer carriers. The IFLOLS switched to a newer sharper fiber optic light source so you can’t use those as examples of how the Forrestals FLOLS should look.

Is the one above on clearly CV-41 an accurate representation?

Hey, I found this video from Nimitz CVN-68 from the 80s, but it shows how the meatball looks like from the Pilot perspective from an A-6.

Also, the video seems older so I'd guess this is not IFLOLS.

Edited by Baz000
  • Like 3