Why is the F18 restricted in most multiplayer servers?

iuiz

Hi, I played the A10C and the P51 until now. However I am thinking about buying a modern fighter module for some time and want to start PVP multiplayer. Until now I wanted to go for the F18, but as I browsed through the servers right now it seems that the admins of the four servers with at least 10 players have locked the F18 for some reasons to just a few slots. So I am afraid that only a few people that play 24/7 will get the slot and even if I get a slot I might not get another one if I crash during the takeoff.

Can anyone give me a few pointers for this? This is kinda off-putting  for me to start multiplayer if I cannot respawn in the plane that I want to play on the popular servers and will just get shot down by the few pro players that also managed to secured the slots 😞. Also playing on some server with few players is not the experience I look forward to.

If I remember correctly IL2 had the same problem. I wanted to play the FW190-D and could only once get a slot and got shot down way to fast.

There are lots of servers with more than 4 Hornet slot, bro.

Having said that, to any server admins reading this:  why do you insist on hot starts for the jets?  I dump those servers right away.  Hot starts are idiotic for many reasons, not the least of which my HOTAS controls need a moment to sync and by then Ive crashed.

Edited by Steel Jaw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I currently have no idea how multiplayer really works and still try to figure it out. And I would like to cold start again after I got shot down or crashed.

But right now there are four servers with more or equal to ten players. Three of them have no free F18 slot but players flying with this plane. The last one is password protected.

The thing is that I am still thinking about buying the next module (when Christmas comes around in a few weeks ;)) and just realised that if I would buy the F18 I could not play it on the popular multiplayer servers. The first server with a free F18 slot right now has 5 players and running a mission called "test-1". 

//edit: Correction: There are 5 free slots now on a 14 player server :). 

Edited by iuiz

34 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

The Hornet is the best module by far, bar none, along with the Supercarrier, buy them both, get on the stick...do ... do it... DO IT.

The A10C was great, so the bar is set very high ;). I will look into it. I hope I will be able to play it in multiplayer.

29 minutes ago, LoneS said:

The F16 is better and doesnt need a carrier 😉

but of course get the F18 and the SC...... both jets are fun to fly

At the end of next year I might have both :D. But there are also a few Warbirds I want to try.

13 hours ago, LoneS said:

The F16 is better and doesnt need a carrier 😉

The F-18 doesn't NEED a carrier.  Just ask the Canadians, Finnish, Swiss, Malaysians, Australians and I'm sure I have missed some. 

• Like 2

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Are you running open beta ? Most of the main pvp servers run on this I’ve never seen a shortage of hornet slots anywhere on the open beta servers 😊

19 hours ago, iuiz said:

Hi, I played the A10C and the P51 until now. However I am thinking about buying a modern fighter module for some time and want to start PVP multiplayer. Until now I wanted to go for the F18, but as I browsed through the servers right now it seems that the admins of the four servers with at least 10 players have locked the F18 for some reasons to just a few slots. So I am afraid that only a few people that play 24/7 will get the slot and even if I get a slot I might not get another one if I crash during the takeoff.

Can anyone give me a few pointers for this? This is kinda off-putting  for me to start multiplayer if I cannot respawn in the plane that I want to play on the popular servers and will just get shot down by the few pro players that also managed to secured the slots 😞. Also playing on some server with few players is not the experience I look forward to.

If I remember correctly IL2 had the same problem. I wanted to play the FW190-D and could only once get a slot and got shot down way to fast.

19 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

The Hornet is the best module by far, bar none, along with the Supercarrier, buy them both, get on the stick...do ... do it... DO IT.

Gotta love overblown subjective blanket statements like that..The supercarrier has lots of issues and functionality missing and don’t even get me started on the Hornet.

Plus, hot starts are at the same time a very good for at least as many reasons.

Edited by Snappy

15 minutes ago, Snappy said:

Gotta love overblown subjective blanket statements like that..The supercarrier has lots of issues and functionality missing and don’t even get me started on the Hornet.

Plus, hot starts are at the same time a very good for at least as many reasons.

Meh.   You are correct on the SC having some issues, nothing show-stopping.  Hornet is not perfect but still awesome and I aint no fanboi...just ask Wags about that.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

2 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Meh.   You are correct on the SC having some issues, nothing show-stopping.  Hornet is not perfect but still awesome and I aint no fanboi...just ask Wags about that.

Fair enough! I respect you for coming back and at least giving it a more realistic tone. Not that you need my respect in any way .
regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy

Hi everyone. By pure chance I heard that you need to start the open beta client for multiplayer and not the main game client. Suddenly there were many servers that had players on them. It seems that the community has transitioned to the beta version, which might explain my initial issues that there were only three servers with more then 10 players.

This seems fine now.

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason the F-18 seems to be the most favourite buy. I don't understand why. It is not a great plane. So Problem is more that there are too few slots in relations to the many F-18-Buyers. Never had an issue to get a slot to fly FC3, MiG-21, Viggen, F-5E and JF-17.