How to trimm properly in any module?

Loopan

Hi fellow pilots

I've a hard time to trimm any module properly!

I've maped the trimm function on the four way hat on top of my Virpil Constellation Alpha.
My problem is, that it's almost impossible for me to trimm the airplane on level! One klick nose down and it descends, then I click one time the nose up and the plane ascends. I can't level the aircraft and so I have to choose between slightly up or down ;( It seems to be to less sensitive.

Am I the only one with this problem? Do I something wrong?

Any help would be highly appreciated

Edited by Loopan

Did you set your trimhat control directly in DCS?
If yes, it will depend on the duration of the press how much trim you apply.

I use a Warthog HOTAS but depending on the aircraft, i use trim in pulse mode (through the TARGET programming software) which means as long as the press on the hat switch is not released, it does just one single short keypress. That way trim is a lot more precise but for more/less trim i need to press the trimhat multiple times now.
As said, i use it either by pulse of constant as per aircraft.

Also, if your speed changes, you mostly will need to trim again, same of you go flying higher or lower.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I'm not sure if this is of any help - but IRL when trimming I was taught never to chase the trim. What I mean by this is if the aircraft is going down, don't trim up to make it level (or vise versa).

Instead, we're taught to hold the aircraft in level flight with the yoke. Once the aircraft is flying level - then we start trimming until the yoke is no longer pressing against our hands - that's when the aircraft is trimmed right. Chasing the trim means forever going up and down and we won't nail it. The latter approach means the aircraft is level before you're trimmed out correctly and remains that way right through to the trim. 

I find myself using the same technique in DCS. I hold the joystick where it keeps the aircraft level, I'll then apply a bit of trim and as I do so - I release a bit of pressure from the joystick to keep the plane in level flight. I keep doing so until the joystick is centered. TBH - I have no idea whether or not this makes it better in DCS - just that it's what I've carried over from real life - and it seems to work for me. Might be worth a try? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

I'm not sure if this is of any help - but IRL when trimming I was taught never to chase the trim. What I mean by this is if the aircraft is going down, don't trim up to make it level (or vise versa).

Instead, we're taught to hold the aircraft in level flight with the yoke. Once the aircraft is flying level - then we start trimming until the yoke is no longer pressing against our hands - that's when the aircraft is trimmed right. Chasing the trim means forever going up and down and we won't nail it. The latter approach means the aircraft is level before you're trimmed out correctly and remains that way right through to the trim. 

I find myself using the same technique in DCS. I hold the joystick where it keeps the aircraft level, I'll then apply a bit of trim and as I do so - I release a bit of pressure from the joystick to keep the plane in level flight. I keep doing so until the joystick is centered. TBH - I have no idea whether or not this makes it better in DCS - just that it's what I've carried over from real life - and it seems to work for me. Might be worth a try? 

thank you both! I'll try your method @Dangerzone and hope to be successful 😉

@Lange_666 I'll research if I can do the same with the Virpil-Programming SW

13 hours ago, Loopan said:

thank you both! I'll try your method @Dangerzone and hope to be successful 😉

@Lange_666 I'll research if I can do the same with the Virpil-Programming SW

Hi Loopan.

To me is the same, from the begining of times! It is always little up/down, left/right. Some modules (F-16 comes to mind first) are harder than others (again F/A-18 is better, but less sensitive). Also, it is not the same for warbirds than for jets Warbirds are harder to trim). I do what  Dangerzone said (never had a flying experience in my life), but it is still finniky. As allways, experience makes you proficient, keep using small inputs and you will finally get the sweet spot.

You're not alone!

Saludos.

Saca111

F-16 doesn't need to be trimmed, ever, unless you're flying with asymmetric loadout. FLCS should keep it steady when controls and trim are at neutral. Hornet trims for AoA, and it does need trimming occasionally, especially on major configuration changes (weapon release, setting up for landing). Keep in mind electric trim, which is what most FBW jets use, is less precise than analog trim.