Overclocking or: A cheap way to 3.2 GHz (and more)

Hi there,

normally I'm no big fried of overclocking but for DCS I tried it.... And it work fine.

One of the best overclocking CPU is the C2D E7200 (45nm).

If uses a high multiplicator of x9.5 and a default clock speed of 266 MHz.

If you use a clock speed of 333 MHz the system runs stable without increase of the CPU or Northbride voltage. You will get 3.2 GHz like the E8500 with the only limitation of 3 MB cache instead of 6 MB.

If you increase the vCore Voltage and the Northbridge Voltage a little bit (try 0.1V steps) you can use up to 400 MHz!

For me 380 MHz runs stable, too.

If you try to overclock, the first step will be a clock of 333 MHz.

Then run prime95 and stress the computer for 1-2 hours. Prime95 should run without errors!

Then highten with 20 MHz steps - if Prime95 don't run, highten the voltage.

Have an eye on the CPU temperture with CoreTemp. A northbride cooler or heatpipe is also good.

(normally you cannot toast your CPU but no warrenty from me ;))

Have fun. :)

Edited by kaos.dll

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

does blackshark scale up with the overclock more or less linear? +20% speed means around +20% FPS in the game (with the same settings of course), or -20% hiccups?

i run it around 30FPS, but with some units/AI going on, these drop like nothing. actually, i use a Q6600 @ 2.4GHz stock...

Democracy is choice, not freedom...

The DCS performance depents on singlecore-speed of a CPU so I think it will scale up quiet linear with the system speed.

In the end of this week I should receive my new RAM and then I will do some benchmarks - with 2.4 and 3.2 GHz.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The DCS performance depents on singlecore-speed of a CPU so I think it will scale up quiet linear with the system speed.

In the end of this week I should receive my new RAM and then I will do some benchmarks - with 2.4 and 3.2 GHz.

I gained a few FPS (probably 5 or so, not in DCS, in games general (O overclocked months before DCS came out)) by OCing from 2.66 to 3.2.

I'm tempted to go to 3.4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Intel E6750 @3.2Ghz | 2GB OCZ PC2-6400 RAM | XFX 680i SLI | BFG GTX260 216SP | Western Digital 3200AAKS 320GB SATA II HDD |

| Seagate 320GB 16MB SATA II HDD | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Soundcard | Samsung 245B 24" TFT Monitor |

| Logitech Z-5400 Digital THX 5.1 speakers | Logitech G15 | Logitech MX1000 | TM Cougar #27955 | TrackIR 3 Pro

I have a E8500 which runs at 3.16 managed to overclock it to 3.60 with a front side bus of 1600.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

I'm thinking of oc'ing my E8500; What kind of FPS increase did you see rapid? What kind of temps are you getting? Did you use an aftermarket fan?

Well, ahem!

Didn't buy a new cooling fan today; but have my Wolfdale up to 3.4ghz from 3.16ghz (FSB of 1433)... also increased CPU FSB voltage from 1.10 to 1.15.

Probably wont take it much further tonight, anybody have any suggestions on air coolers??

Edited by crazysundog

I'm thinking of oc'ing my E8500; What kind of FPS increase did you see rapid? What kind of temps are you getting? Did you use an aftermarket fan?

Well, ahem!

Didn't buy a new cooling fan today; but have my Wolfdale up to 3.4ghz from 3.16ghz (FSB of 1433)... also increased CPU FSB voltage from 1.10 to 1.15.

Probably wont take it much further tonight, anybody have any suggestions on air coolers??

Hi, i cant tell you of any FPS incease because i never took any readings prior.

My system says that my cpu is at 38c, my cpu cooler is in my sig.

my FSB is 1600.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

• 3 weeks later...

Got a bit board today and overclocked my E8500 to 3.80MHz i dont want to go to 4 MHz as i dont want to over stress my system.

Yeah, I dont think going to 4Ghz with this chip is a good idea as it may lead to motherboard stress and instalbilities..........unless you have an EO stepping? My E8500 is a CO stepping so it would be wise to leave it at 3.80Ghz.

Edited by rapid

Using CPU Z, it shows me my cpu is; Stepping A, Revision E0...

But i will definately take your advise and slowly take it up, I may quit at 3.8 or go a little further. It is a new chip, and I am going to upgrade it soon again anyway, I just want to play with it a little, as its my first time OC'ing!

If you have EO then you can go a lot further than a CO and be a lot more stable.

Realtemp & hwmonitor. My case has a 21cm fan blowing onto the mobo though, and as I built the comp myself I used some good thermal compound instead of the horrible white goo that i've seen. Not sure if that will make much difference though, as i'm presuming most people OC'ing use that too.

When running BS (Med-High)i've found I run at 100% when @ 3.16, hence wanting to OC. Does anyone know just how many GHz BS tops out at? (I know that's a very simple question with no right answer)

PS. Is the only practical difference between the E0 and C0 the lower power consumption and temps on the E0?

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

That 21cm fan could explain your lower temps!! I had my rig built for me; but if i could make the decision over again I would have built it myself....the guy who did it did a crappy job at cable management.

BS probably tops out at around 6 ghz IMO... if not 8ghz!!

Not sure what the practical diff is between E0 and C0... but i've read that power cons. and temps are very different... Perhaps the FSB speed as well??

I had a quick peek around online, the E0 is a later and updated C0, which results in slightly lower temps and Voltage req's. As far as i'm aware there are a lot of conflicting opinions, but when OC'ing the E0 has higher potential simply because it's more efficient.

I'm don't see how the C0 would be a danger to the mobo or be less stable, it'd just take more cooling to match the E0.

But even then we're not talking any massive heat output difference, surely? There must be far more important variables on heat than the extra small % increase that the C0 might give.

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

Roger that.

Well, a quick update, my baby boy is teething so i dont have time to compile better info!

Following some good instructions and reviews of my Mobo and Proc, (EVGA 750i FTW edit. + C2D E8500) I have successfully OC'd my CPU to 4.01Ghz....have not had time to do enough tests to tell you it is honestly stable, but Prime95 got up to 5th or 6th batch of tests, or about 1.5 hours of crunching...and with the new cooler only reached a max temp of 49C.

My framerate on BS has gone up considerably, about 35 fps average, lows of 18-24 around cities and airports still!! I do have mods like HDR installed that drag the FR down, plus civvie traffic is on.

Will test more tommorrow night and post pics.

Well, a quick update, my baby boy is teething so i dont have time to compile better info!

Following some good instructions and reviews of my Mobo and Proc, (EVGA 750i FTW edit. + C2D E8500) I have successfully OC'd my CPU to 4.01Ghz....have not had time to do enough tests to tell you it is honestly stable, but Prime95 got up to 5th or 6th batch of tests, or about 1.5 hours of crunching...and with the new cooler only reached a max temp of 49C.

My framerate on BS has gone up considerably, about 35 fps average, lows of 18-24 around cities and airports still!! I do have mods like HDR installed that drag the FR down, plus civvie traffic is on.

Will test more tommorrow night and post pics.

Nice temps there.