AMD FSR/RSR is coming

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-super-resolution-rsr-fsr/

AMD launches Radeon Super Resolution upscaling that'll work across 'nearly every game you own'

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Old news.  It’s been available for a few months now and does work with DCS.

I’m already using v2.1.  It does work.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

1 hour ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Old news.  It’s been available for a few months now and does work with DCS.

I’m already using v2.1.  It does work.

I don't think they mean OpenFSR. This will be driver side.

You simply turn it on in your Radeon driver settings and lower the resolution in your game settings, and apparently RSR will take care of the rest. 

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

In which case, that's very cool!

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 2 months later...

--Arthur C Clark

1.0 works great with emulators and 2D games, but doesn’t give me the image quality that I want in VR at the scaling factor that I’m looking for.  Hoping version 2 will make it happen.  I’m hoping the word temporal implies shimmering reduction.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Well... just loaded the new driver, and see no reference to enabling FSR anywhere in settings.

Wouldn't be the first time AMD dropped the ball.

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, nikoel said:

image.png

That's RSR... which so far I have seen no effect.  I was expecting to find driver/hardware level FSR.

But I guess we'll have to wait for ED to incorporate FSR into DCS.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

7 hours ago, Sr. said:

That's RSR... which so far I have seen no effect.  I was expecting to find driver/hardware level FSR.

But I guess we'll have to wait for ED to incorporate FSR into DCS.

RSR is Driver level FSR 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 84-Simba said:

Hey guys !

For those AMD goodies to work, do you have to launch the game from the Radeon Adrenalin software or is it working in the background ?

Affirmative.

I would also disable VRPK or the other Fholger FSR if you've been using it. Doesn't seem to need it now.

I have my SteamVR SS set to 100% global / 50% per game and it actually looks incredible. I'm now getting about 9ms GPU frame times over Caucuses. 12 with in game MSAA set to 4x

I'm still testing to see if the other goodies are being applied. (MSAA etc)

--Arthur C Clark

Didn't notice any difference with in game MSAA turned off and using the Radeon software. Back to 4x in game.

I do think we have a winner though. I'm going to unload all mods and do a repair install and see what it's like.

--Arthur C Clark

Meant to add...I never would have noticed it was working if I didn't have fpsVR running as well. Without the Radeon effect it would read GPU 100/100. After I enable the option, it read 100/150. I have since dialed back the per game slider to 70% and it looks incredible and the frame times are what I would normally shoot for.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

16 hours ago, Sr. said:

Didn't notice any difference with in game MSAA turned off and using the Radeon software. Back to 4x in game.

I do think we have a winner though. I'm going to unload all mods and do a repair install and see what it's like.

Is amd better for dcs, particularly for vr in your opinion?

Just now, Skwirl865 said:

Is amd better for dcs, particularly for vr in your opinion?

I can't really give an experienced opinion, as the only other GPU I had prior to the 6900XT was an NVIDIA 1080ti.

When I built my most recent PC I had gone for a Ryzen CPU, so I figured an AMD GPU to go with it would be a good choice.

I did manage to get pretty decent clarity and performance from the 1080ti with DCS, but the 6900XT has been a pretty significant improvement. I'm trying to convince my son to pick up a 3090 or 3080ti so I can do some side by side comparisons.

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

1 minute ago, Sr. said:

I can't really give an experienced opinion, as the only other GPU I had prior to the 6900XT was an NVIDIA 1080ti.

When I built my most recent PC I had gone for a Ryzen CPU, so I figured an AMD GPU to go with it would be a good choice.

I did manage to get pretty decent clarity and performance from the 1080ti with DCS, but the 6900XT has been a pretty significant improvement. I'm trying to convince my son to pick up a 3090 or 3080ti so I can do some side by side comparisons.

I have a 1080 with a 2700x in one pc and a 5600x and 2080 super in the other which works pretty well but the 8gb of vram is sometimes a problem in vr if i crank up the settings, especially in Syria. 

9 hours ago, Sr. said:

Meant to add...I never would have noticed it was working if I didn't have fpsVR running as well. Without the Radeon effect it would read GPU 100/100. After I enable the option, it read 100/150. I have since dialed back the per game slider to 70% and it looks incredible and the frame times are what I would normally shoot for.

Do you think it would work with oculus or would i need to run steam vr? Going to test later today.

Just now, Arcticfox said:

Do you think it would work with oculus or would i need to run steam vr? Going to test later today.

Can't say...I've 0 experience with oculus. I imagine whatever you use to set your HMD resolution.  Easy way to tell is set it to x number, try it without the button enabled in Radeon Software (view GPU SS result via fpsVR) then enable it, launch game from within the Radeon app then note any difference in fps read out.

--Arthur C Clark

42 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Can't say...I've 0 experience with oculus. I imagine whatever you use to set your HMD resolution.  Easy way to tell is set it to x number, try it without the button enabled in Radeon Software (view GPU SS result via fpsVR) then enable it, launch game from within the Radeon app then note any difference in fps read out.

Thanks for your answer. I will do some testing later today to see if it works, could always use steam vr!