COMM switch confusion: \ is now the proper PTT command?

Nealius

I took a break from the warbirds in 2.7.8 or so and am just now coming back to them in 2.7.10, and I'm finding the COMM PTT keybinds to be all messed up. At least in comparison to how they were for the better part of a decade and compared to the modern modules.

"\" used to be for ground crew only, and never worked for in-flight communications.

"RAlt+\" (and "RCtrl+\" if you have two radios) used to be for the actual radio PTT switch to communicate with in-game agencies. This is still true for all the modern modules.

However now, all of a sudden in the warbirds, the radio PTT switch doesn't do anything, and the "\" command does everything. I never had that command mapped because the PTT switch could interact with the ground crew as well, making it redundant. Now I'm having to map "\" to all my modules completely out of the blue.

What's going on here?

On 2/14/2022 at 4:47 PM, Nealius said:

What's going on here?

Not sure really, 'cause they seem to be working as they should (and as you described) in Mustang, Thunderbolt and Spit Instant takeoff missions I've just tested in latest OB. Double checked my bindings and if PTT buttons in -51 and -47 are animated correctly - they are.

What I see is "\" doesn't work in the air, only "RAlt+\" does, so that's OK. Haven't tried German birds or custom missions yet.

For what it's worth, I activate PTT with buttons on my Warthog throttle and don't use any voice comms features/software.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

11 hours ago, Art-J said:

Not sure really, 'cause they seem to be working as they should (and as you described) in Mustang, Thunderbolt and Spit Instant takeoff missions I've just tested in latest OB. Double checked my bindings and if PTT buttons in -51 and -47 are animated correctly - they are.

What I see is "\" doesn't work in the air, only "RAlt+\" does, so that's OK. Haven't tried German birds or custom missions yet.

For what it's worth, I activate PTT with buttons on my Warthog throttle and don't use any voice comms features/software.

I checked all my warbirds. I have not changed the kebyoard key assignments. I used to use Warthog throttle buttons to activate the PTT, however they are linked to the same key commands. There also appear to be some general communications issues with the Channel that I'll file separately. When flying the Anton in "Horrido!" the Ralt+/ PTT does not work in the air, only \ does. 

Spitfire

Ralt+\ "PTT" makes an audible clicking noise and indicates transmission on the radio box, but no comms menu appears. 

/ (note that it is not \ like every other module) opens the comms menu and can be used to contact tower/AI agencies. 

Mosquito

Ralt+\ "PTT" makes an audible clicking noise and indicates transmission on the radio box, but no comms menu appears.

\ opens the comms menu and can be used to contact tower/AI agencies.

P-51D-25

Same as Mosquito

P-47D (all variants)

Same as Mosquito

Fw 190 A-8

Ralt+\ "PTT" does nothing: no noise, no animation of PTT button on throttle quadrant, no comms menu.

Bf 109 K-4

Ralt+\ "PTT" makes audible clicking noise and PTT button on throttle quadrant visibly depresses, but no comms menu appears.

Edited by Nealius

I don't have Channel map, so can't confirm your observations, but can you confirm mine? Caucasus instant takeoff missions, while in the air - contacting ATC (radio channel switch to "B" will be necessar in some planes).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

32 minutes ago, Art-J said:

I don't have Channel map, so can't confirm your observations, but can you confirm mine? Caucasus instant takeoff missions, while in the air - contacting ATC (radio channel switch to "B" will be necessar in some planes).

Tried the P-51 instant action Takeoff. Ralt+\ "PTT" still doesn't do anything except interrupt the light on the T/REM at the bottom of the radio box. All comms must be done through the \ "comms menu" key.

I'm at loss then. Haven't fiddled with T/Rem switch at all, I just select proper channel, push PTT, menu pops up and the rest works. Some option/setting must be messing up your comms, but it's hard to figure out which one.

1 hour ago, Art-J said:

I'm at loss then. Haven't fiddled with T/Rem switch at all, I just select proper channel, push PTT, menu pops up and the rest works. Some option/setting must be messing up your comms, but it's hard to figure out which one.

I went digging in the settings. "Easy comms" was enabled despite me specifically disabling it two weeks ago. No idea why or how it turned itself back on.