Gun Control

derbarbarian
Go to solution Solved by frostycab,

Hey guys, 

So I apologize in advance for the stupid question, but I'm trying to get the controls mapped on my TM Warthog, as far as controlling the direction of the gun, what controls should I be looking for exactly? Because I've tried mapping the available axis commands and none of them seem to control the gun itself, I'm clearly missing something and I feel kinda stupid asking this, but I am a bit lost to say the least.. I'll honestly say I could really use some help with mapping everything in general, suffice it to say any help would be greatly appreciated.. 

Edited by derbarbarian

You control the gun with your selected Sensor/Sight. As the pilot this will almost always be your Head/IHADSS. So in other words: The Gun points where you look at. No special bindings needed.

Just go to your Hocas/Cyclic bindings and bind the weapons selector head to select the gun. Put master arm on and make sure you have flipped the trigger cover. Than you can taktaktak.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Try it, it is really cool and you will never look back (sorry pun intended)

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain this, so I have the optics controls set to my stick, so I'm able to control the camera system with NV/FLIR, etc. with the stick which is working perfectly, the monocle is also controlled by my stick, but it doesn't seem like the gun is synced with where the camera/monocle is looking if that makes sense? When I move the stick I can see the gun moving but the rounds aren't impacting where the reticle is placed either on the center MFD or on the monocle. 

• Solution
30 minutes ago, derbarbarian said:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain this, so I have the optics controls set to my stick, so I'm able to control the camera system with NV/FLIR, etc. with the stick which is working perfectly, the monocle is also controlled by my stick, but it doesn't seem like the gun is synced with where the camera/monocle is looking if that makes sense? When I move the stick I can see the gun moving but the rounds aren't impacting where the reticle is placed either on the center MFD or on the monocle. 

OK, let's break this down a bit. For starters, are you in the front or back seat?

In the pilot seat, selecting the gun will automatically get it to slave to your IHADDS. Thus the gun will always follow your head movement *as long as you are the one that selected the gun.* I believe that if the CPG selects the gun then he gets control of it either through his own IHADDS display or with the TADS.

This brings us to the front seat. If the CPG selects the gun he can switch its targeting mode between his IHADDS and the TADS by using the controls on the TEDAC RHG. There's a 4-way hat switch just left of the Manual Tracker control to select this. Up is for HMD and right is for TADS. When slaved to the TADS you can then use the Manual Tracker control to slew the TADS camera around, and the gun will follow that. If you then select HMD the gun will slave back to your IHADDS.

Remember that if you are using the IHADDS to aim the gun in either seat then its accuracy will depend on a number of factors. You must have accurately completed the boresighting procedure for your IHADDS, and must have the correct range set for the gun. In the back seat the manual range defaults to 1500m, whereas in the front seat it defaults to 3000m. You can either manually reset these figures, or select auto-ranging, but that comes with its own issues. Like the AUTO sight in the Hind, it takes your height above the ground, and then assumes that the terrain is flat between you and the target point. If the terrain height increases between you and the target your rounds will fall short, so you need to compensate, and vice versa if the ground slopes away from you. If you are aiming using the TADS, then make sure you lase the target while firing as I believe this is the most accurate way of ensuring the gun has the correct range information and should see you on-target most of the time. Also, if you're shooting off to the side of the aircraft while flying forward at speed then you need to aim slightly behind the target (relative to your direction of travel) to allow for the fact that the rounds will have some forward inertia as they leave the gun.

...I think! (Still getting to grips with things myself). Is that what you were asking?

Edited by frostycab
Grammar/spelling/typos