TADS ground stabilize?

FalcoGer

Is there an option to ground stabilize the TADS? I have the thumb force controller bound to my joystick axis because I don't have anything else that makes sense and I have to deflect it really hard, like 70% just to keep the TADS stable on target. it's a bit hard on the wrist. Is there something I can press to ground stabilize the thing? Target lase and store works but it's not exactly accurate enough to shoot a missile at.

Will that be a future function? Right now it's just plain hard to keep track on a target unless the pilot is really good at a stable flight and even then it's a bit of a strain. I still don't know what IAT (image auto track) is supposed to do. From what I gather from the name i Imagine it's some kind of point/auto track, as known from the A10/Hornet. I don't see why such a really useful and software only upgrade should not be available to the ah64.

The Apache's TADS is closer to the sighting system of a Bradley or Abrams. It's not a direct counterpart of fighter jet targeting pods, the entire aircraft's interface and design decisions reflect this distinction. There will be a contrast lock with the IAT feature but it's not a TGP that's meant to stare at the ground at a general area, it's a sight meant to be actively used against suitable targets. 

Even tank sights have stabilization though. And tank commanders and gunners use their sights to stare at a general area and look for targets (while also slewing left and right to scan a larger area).

Of course they also use them for engagement, at least the gunner sight.

Edited by FalcoGer
  • Like 1

The LMC (Linear Motion Compensator) button works in the game currently. It lets you hold the TADS sight on a specific point, as well as lets you "throw" the TADS in a specific direction and it maintains that motion (useful for tracking a moving a target). Wags has a good video on this works (link includes a timestamp to the specific discussion of LMC on TADS)