AH-64D Flight School (w/ video tutorials)

bradmick

@bradmick- Hi, watched all or am working through your videos, mainly the ones on flight, symbology, trim etc, there is a lot of useful stuff in there.

Explained very well too, even that simple bit about pitch and speed using the horizon line in the Ihadds, not even sure thats in the manual and had always wondered what "set pitch to 90 knots" meant.

2 things have me baffled though,

Heading hold (not the HOLD modes), on the pedals when you lift, i use central trim system, i lift into the hover no problem and as your vids have shown let the heading hold deal with the pedals through the SCAS, but I get a right yaw when i press FTR and release it.  Heading hold goes off and back on for a moment and is rather annoying, is this correct activity, can i do something to prevent it or do i just live with it.  As i say im simply getting into a hover so bump stick and trim as required, but that gets de-stabilised when the yaw kicks in, should i be doing something with the pedals.  My gear doesnt lend itself to holding FTR moving stick and releasing, especially micro movements.  This probably affects yaw while in general flight too, to a lesser or greater extent, need more testing.

Hmm took a while to word that and now i have forgotten the second point...brb

Thought of another Question though, I saw at the start of your "how I trim" vid, you set you controls with saturation on the "Y", could you maybe make a video on how you got to these numbers, and what effect they have.  I have tried it a few times and always ended up going back to 100% (usually after a patch), I have always had a linear 100% sat collective and i see you have 70%, my guess is this gives more granularity and finer control, but loses the top and bottom end, also you have it as a curve whereas I set all my throttle curves to slider, is there a difference under the bonnet/hood.

I am the Huey guy from a post up top, i realise there are many nuances with the apache over the Huey, the SCAS for one and the overall mass for 2, but I can fly the Huey quite well.  I just cant get on with the Apache, I did in the early days but over the patches since launch I lost my way, aware its still WIP but would appreciate any pointers, I have a desk mounted Warthog with a reduced spring, no extension, in F16 position.

As always many thx, and keep those videos coming they really get into resolving issues/expectations people have...

trying to remember the other point, i'll be back....

• Raptor9 changed the title to AH-64D Flight School (w/ video tutorials)

25Oct23: Added Datalink Setup video. It's a quick, down and dirty "how to" for setting up the datalink in game.

This video assumes you have 3 friends:

Buddy 1-1 (B11) is the group lead, and their SUB ID is A.

Buddy 1-2 (B12) is Dash 2, and their SUB ID is B.

Buddy 1-3 (B13) is Dash 3, and their SUB ID is C.

Each individual Buddy in the flight has to create the exact same preset. The only thing that changes is the Callsign/Sub-ID based on their position within the flight. They all have to be tuned up the same frequency as well, or else the magic can't happen.

• Thanks 7