AH-64D Flight School (w/ video tutorials)

bradmick

35 minutes ago, Mr. Wilson said:

on mi 24 and ka 50 I fly without a pedal trimer, for this I first turn it off in the settings and I wanted to do the same in Apache

The only option I’m aware of that accomplishes something similar to what you want is the ffb option, third option on the drop down in the special menu for the pedals

Hello @bradmick

Do you consider adding combat maneuvers and/or weapons tactics vid’s to your flight school series? Would love that 

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

3 hours ago, corbu1 said:

Hello @bradmick

Do you consider adding combat maneuvers and/or weapons tactics vid’s to your flight school series? Would love that 

Nope. These are topics that I won’t be addressing. There are others that have covered these items pretty well already, the gap was in the basics, so that’s what I’m sticking to here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb bradmick:

Nope. These are topics that I won’t be addressing. There are others that have covered these items pretty well already, the gap was in the basics, so that’s what I’m sticking to here. 

Ok, thanks! 
That‘s fine. Yes, others did already and their efforts are really appreciated!

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Thank you for your detailed instruction. I am a little confused about the difference between the level acceleration takeoff and the limited power takeoff. In both cases you raise the helo to a hover and accelerate to about 50 knots and then pull the cyclic to get a max endurance climb at 500 ft/min. So how are they different? If your 'limited power' is less than the torque needed for an IGE hover on the perf page, you won't be able to take off. I would think that in these conditions, a rolling takeoff would be more effective as you could reach translational lift at the lower torque setting that limited power restricts you to.

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

The key difference between the level acceleration takeoff and limited power takeoff is power. In the level acceleration there’s no power restriction, in the limited power there is a power restriction. The procedures are the same except you don’t have any additional power to pull during the takeoff run.

Said another way, with the level acceleration you pull a minimum of 10% torque above your hover power to accelerate and climb, in the limited power you likely don’t have that power, and thus are limited to your hover power, or you have a very small power margin to pull. And as I said in the beginning of the limited power video, you don’t have a suitable surface to perform a rolling takeoff, so you have to perform the takeoff from a hover.

Edited by bradmick

I highly recommend Brad's latest video on pitch attitudes as it is at least in my opinion the cornerstone of enjoying the Apache especially if you don't have the luxury of friends to gun for you. Using George effectively is a busy task, apart from playing with the TSD you are constantly whipping your head around getting him slaved around looking for targets, cycling through listed targets and then peeking at the TADS to get a picture of the area all while keeping control of the helicopter is pretty full on. Having the helicopter trimmed properly lets you forget about the controls then when finished with finding targets, your back on the controls exactly where you left off. This means you get to avoid the 'oh crap, I slowed down 30 kts and ballooned up or that slight bank progressed into a big one and you have to recover with big control inputs and where were those targets again??? everything outside looks different'.

Great stuff as usual Brad, thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to do a mission at least once in which if I switch from pilot to gunner and vice versa, the helicopter remains stable.. instead every time the helicopter goes crazy and starts spinning like crazy.. and I crash..It's possible that every time I switch from one role to another the helicopter starts spinning and I lose control..

I would like to switch from one role to another in the mission but instead this leads me to crash every time.. what must be done to be able to do it unscathed?

30 minutes ago, giullep said:

I'd like to do a mission at least once in which if I switch from pilot to gunner and vice versa, the helicopter remains stable.. instead every time the helicopter goes crazy and starts spinning like crazy.. and I crash..It's possible that every time I switch from one role to another the helicopter starts spinning and I lose control..

I would like to switch from one role to another in the mission but instead this leads me to crash every time.. what must be done to be able to do it unscathed?

I would make sure your settings do not include sync cockpit controls........

That may help?

null

image.png

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

3 hours ago, giullep said:

no unflagged...thx

Coud be some dual control bindings in CG and Pilot?

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey bradmick, thanks for your time on various forums draggin us through the innards of the Apache.  Been most helpful.

I still struggle a bit with pin point landings, particularly during daytime,  due to cockpit "walls" obscuring the ground view .  I've played around with daytime PVNS but it is unreliable in my hands.  If I just have to adapt my spatial awareness, then so be it.  Was just wondering if you have  any tips in this regard.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

23Apr23: Added "My method of using the trim..."

Note: I used Instant Trim in this video because I forgot I had switched from Central Position trimmer mode to do a compare/contrast video at some point. I decided to just roll with it because I had already hit record. My brain took a little while to adapt to how Instant Trim handles versus Central Position, but the work flow would still be the same except I would be letting go of the stick to allow it to recenter immediately after pressing the force trim button.

Also, I got really tired of trying to type all of this out, because it kept getting miscontstrued or viewed through an absolutist lens. Hopefully this clears some things up.

Edited by bradmick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@bradmickWould love to see you do a walk around video of the exterior of the Apache. Talk about all the features and things you look at before you go fly. I'm really enjoying watching your videos on this amazing module. 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]