Varjo Aero/ DCS updates causing strange issues.

acamex

Hoping that someone can help me please!!

I recently purchased my Varjo Aero but was initially disappointed, I expected a huge difference from my Oculus when flying in VR. It was suffering from terrible distortion to the point where it was making me feel sick and I suddenly had immense buyer's remorse. I submitted a ticket to Varjo but as nice as they were they weren't really able to help. However, whilst I found this very useful thread ...

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/292574-varjo-aero-distortion-warping-in-dcs-fixed-for-me/?msclkid=3410456ea9cd11eca0995cfb84703720

Following the instructions in that thread I was able to fix all the distortion that I was initially seeing, needless to say i was so very happy, the Varjo was now starting to live up to its reputation, it was very very cool!

However, recently both DCS and Varjo have released an update which has wrecked everything and my Varjo is now sitting on the shelf again. 

This is where i'm really hoping that someone from this awesome community can help me, the problems i'm not having are as follows....

1. Initially, DCS on my main monitor for some reason has split into 4, not really relevant when using VR, but those watching externally struggle to see what's going on and i'm sure this is connected to what's causing the other issues. See image below

image.png

The image quality has worsened. I fly the F16, so as I look around the HUD kind of judders around a bit, it almost moves slightly as i'm looking around. Part of the text labels around the cockpit are now no longer crisp and sharp resolution.

The clouds now look terrible!

And finally, I use my mouse to click on buttons around the cockpit, now for some reason my cursor is about an inch out of sync, for example if I try and press the number 3 on the F16 input panel, it's actually pressing the IFF button an inch above it!. I've tried to capture the image, below hopefully you can see where i'm pressing number 3 but the IFF button is being depressed. 

image.png

Can ANYONE please help???

Thanks guys

I am assuming the fix you used was to flip the top/bottom lenses with the DCS WMR Debug Tool. There are two things you likely will need to do if you updated to latest Varjo Base software:

1: Use the same WMR Debug Tool to flip those top/bottom of both lenses back.

2: Enable the new distortion profile with latest Varjo Base software, it is listed there as Experimental. You must enable that.

These two things should get you sorted. If after doing the two steps above things still look off, try just flipping top/bottom lenses back but leave new distortion profile enabled. DCS looks perfect with the new distortion profile.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thank you dburne, I got very excited as I thought your suggestion was going to work but I'm afraid it didn't.

Yes, I was referring to the top/bottom fix before. That is what fixed it before but for some reason this time around it doesn't appear to make any difference if I flip them around or not.

Previously I could click on "swap top and bottom" and I would immediately see in the head set how the lenses are flipping the image per side, however this time around I see no changes what so ever. It doesn't matter what click on its not making any changes, it's like those pre-sets are being ignored

varjo_screenshot_2022-03-24_21-48-34-189.png

I can see that it's creating the config file, but again, its like its not even looking at that file. 

image.png

I have also tried toggling the "Experimental" New distortion correction and that didnt make any difference either.

Would really appreciate any more ideas.

2 hours ago, acamex said:

Thank you dburne, I got very excited as I thought your suggestion was going to work but I'm afraid it didn't.

Yes, I was referring to the top/bottom fix before. That is what fixed it before but for some reason this time around it doesn't appear to make any difference if I flip them around or not.

Previously I could click on "swap top and bottom" and I would immediately see in the head set how the lenses are flipping the image per side, however this time around I see no changes what so ever. It doesn't matter what click on its not making any changes, it's like those pre-sets are being ignored

varjo_screenshot_2022-03-24_21-48-34-189.png

I can see that it's creating the config file, but again, its like its not even looking at that file. 

image.png

I have also tried toggling the "Experimental" New distortion correction and that didnt make any difference either.

Would really appreciate any more ideas.

Before using the WMR Debug Tool you will need to delete the hedy.lua file in your DCS user saved games directory. Then use the tool and don't forget to save it before exiting.

For instance mine is in C:/Users/<My Name>/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/hedy.lua. Only delete the hedy.lua. Then run the Debug Tool again.

Hang in there, you will get it back to pristine condition again. And after that update you will be very pleased with DCS.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks dburne

Yes, i know what you mean. But just to clarify a few things, before the DCS update happened when I ran the debugging tool it would create a hedy.lua file, like what you see on yours. Now when i run the debugging tool it creates a Varjo Aero.lua file, so it has changed the naming convention of that file. Not sure if that is relevant at all.

I simply rename Varjo Aero.lua file to make the debugging tool come back again. But as i say, when i run the tool any changes im making are ignored. Before if i clicked on swap top and bottom i would see the change happen in the head set instantly. Now if i click swap top and bottom i see no changes in the head set at all.

Hope this is all making sense

1 hour ago, acamex said:

Thanks dburne

Yes, i know what you mean. But just to clarify a few things, before the DCS update happened when I ran the debugging tool it would create a hedy.lua file, like what you see on yours. Now when i run the debugging tool it creates a Varjo Aero.lua file, so it has changed the naming convention of that file. Not sure if that is relevant at all.

I simply rename Varjo Aero.lua file to make the debugging tool come back again. But as i say, when i run the tool any changes im making are ignored. Before if i clicked on swap top and bottom i would see the change happen in the head set instantly. Now if i click swap top and bottom i see no changes in the head set at all.

Hope this is all making sense

I don't know that is odd, mine created a hedy.lua file. Are you looking in your saved games directory under your user name?

It certainly sounds like you are not deleting the correct file if you are not getting any changes in the debug tool.

p7xG311.jpg

Edited by dburne

Don B

11 minutes ago, dburne said:

I don't know that is odd, mine created a hedy.lua file. Are you looking in your saved games directory under your user name?

It certainly sounds like you are not deleting the correct file if you are not getting any changes in the debug tool.

Can i ask if you're on the latest version of DCS open beta?

17 hours ago, acamex said:

Hoping that someone can help me please!!

I recently purchased my Varjo Aero but was initially disappointed, I expected a huge difference from my Oculus when flying in VR. It was suffering from terrible distortion to the point where it was making me feel sick and I suddenly had immense buyer's remorse. I submitted a ticket to Varjo but as nice as they were they weren't really able to help. However, whilst I found this very useful thread ...

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/292574-varjo-aero-distortion-warping-in-dcs-fixed-for-me/?msclkid=3410456ea9cd11eca0995cfb84703720

Following the instructions in that thread I was able to fix all the distortion that I was initially seeing, needless to say i was so very happy, the Varjo was now starting to live up to its reputation, it was very very cool!

However, recently both DCS and Varjo have released an update which has wrecked everything and my Varjo is now sitting on the shelf again. 

This is where i'm really hoping that someone from this awesome community can help me, the problems i'm not having are as follows....

1. Initially, DCS on my main monitor for some reason has split into 4, not really relevant when using VR, but those watching externally struggle to see what's going on and i'm sure this is connected to what's causing the other issues. See image below

image.png

The image quality has worsened. I fly the F16, so as I look around the HUD kind of judders around a bit, it almost moves slightly as i'm looking around. Part of the text labels around the cockpit are now no longer crisp and sharp resolution.

The clouds now look terrible!

And finally, I use my mouse to click on buttons around the cockpit, now for some reason my cursor is about an inch out of sync, for example if I try and press the number 3 on the F16 input panel, it's actually pressing the IFF button an inch above it!. I've tried to capture the image, below hopefully you can see where i'm pressing number 3 but the IFF button is being depressed. 

image.png

Can ANYONE please help???

Thanks guys

The recent update forces the use of the Varjo-SDK specific outputs, which enables the 4 pictures (they are for the bionic focus displays inside the VR-3 and XR-3, Aero does not have them). To solve this, run your DCS as follows: "D:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe"  --force_steam_VR (and of course correct for your particular install path.

That will force DCS into using SteamVR, which does not support the 4-screen rendering and should also solve your lowered resolution issue. Basically going back to how it was before the recent update. 

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

8 minutes ago, acamex said:

Can i ask if you're on the latest version of DCS open beta?

Yes. Latest Beta of DCS latest software update of Varjo Base, Experimental Distortion Profile enabled in Varjo Base.

4 minutes ago, mhe said:

The recent update forces the use of the Varjo-SDK specific outputs, which enables the 4 pictures (they are for the bionic focus displays inside the VR-3 and XR-3, Aero does not have them). To solve this, run your DCS as follows: "D:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe"  --force_steam_VR (and of course correct for your particular install path.

That will force DCS into using SteamVR, which does not support the 4-screen rendering and should also solve your lowered resolution issue. Basically going back to how it was before the recent update. 

Crap I forgot about that good catch. Yes I created a shortcut for my desktop to run DCS with the force_steam_VR option.

This is mine:  "D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_steam_VR

Replace D with your installation drive for DCS,

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

2 hours ago, mhe said:

Mhe.....you are a genius!!!! THANK YOU!!

That has totally fixed my issue, everything is back to how it was thank you thank you. I can now also run the debugging tool and I can see the changes that im making. Basically its all back working again.

Also a huge thank you to dburne, i appreciate your input as well.

I was begeinning to lose faith and thought i was going to have to wait for ages until some update or patch was released.

Thanks again guys!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, acamex said:

Mhe.....you are a genius!!!! THANK YOU!!

That has totally fixed my issue, everything is back to how it was thank you thank you. I can now also run the debugging tool and I can see the changes that im making. Basically its all back working again.

You are most welcome, good Sir! 🙂 

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Turbohamster said:

Hi 

I just got my Aero, tried the force steam vr fix above.
But it gives me terrible barrel distortion, its unplayable basically world turns to jelly whenever you move your head.

Anyone else have this problem & know a fix?

Thanks in advance

You need to use the WMR Debug Tool to flip top/bottom of each lens. See the debug tool pinned thread. 

Also be sure and enable the experimental distortion profile in Varjo Base.

• Like 2

Don B

I just received the Varjo Aero a few days ago.  Was struggling with multiple issues (offset mouse, jittering display, ghosting), but using the -forceSteamVR option has resolved many of these.  Thanks!

However (perhaps like Turbohamster?), now I'm left with a weird zoomed in view that also suffers from a modest "funhouse mirror effect".  The FOV is too zoomed in, making it hard to see the cockpit, and objects outside the center of FOV are further away, then when I shift them into FOV they get closer.  Very unpleasant, hard to fly any length of time with this.  I have enabled the Experimental Distortion correction in Varjo Base, but it doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas from other Varjo users?  Love the clarity, but the rest of the experience is inferior to my old HTC Vive Pro from 2018 until I can get these last issues fixed.

54 minutes ago, Istari6 said:

I just received the Varjo Aero a few days ago.  Was struggling with multiple issues (offset mouse, jittering display, ghosting), but using the -forceSteamVR option has resolved many of these.  Thanks!

However (perhaps like Turbohamster?), now I'm left with a weird zoomed in view that also suffers from a modest "funhouse mirror effect".  The FOV is too zoomed in, making it hard to see the cockpit, and objects outside the center of FOV are further away, then when I shift them into FOV they get closer.  Very unpleasant, hard to fly any length of time with this.  I have enabled the Experimental Distortion correction in Varjo Base, but it doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas from other Varjo users?  Love the clarity, but the rest of the experience is inferior to my old HTC Vive Pro from 2018 until I can get these last issues fixed.

You sound like you need the same fix that was suggested to me!

It seems we need to have a DCS general setting thread for the Aero.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 1 year later...

For anyone looking to get proper cursor rendering while using quad view for Aero on OpenXR -> use multithreading version.
Single threading version renders game window in 2D with 4 views and this seems to be connected with improper cursor rendering in VR.

Multithreading seems to render differently and it only outputs single combined view in viewport which seems to be a working solution with proper cursor render in VR.