The F-35 Thread

Groove

My understanding is that the VTOL thrust is close to the 40000lbf mark, which is taken at face value gives the F-35 about 8000lbs of fuel+armament.

Internal fuel is about 13000lbs full, the empty aircraft weight around 32000lbs.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was and old video in You Tube showing the F-35 demonstrator. It it the LM technician demonstrated what the pilots would have to do in order to set the weight for vertical landing.

I think it has been posted here many times.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

:blink: I guess without air refueling it`s going nowhere with such a small amount of fuel and weaponry.

Probably normal landing will be used the most, then VSTOL, and then VTOL in what... tiny percent of the flights?

Edited by topol-m

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is why it's a STOVL aircraft, topol-m ;)

Edit: According to the official docs, vertical thrust is 39700lbf, empty weight 30000lbs. This gives you about 9000lbs of useful fuel + weapons for VTOL. Loading full fuel + 2 JDAM + 2 AMRAAM would put you at 48000lbs weight. That means you can go do your mission, and return at a weight suitable for vertical landing. Takeoff must be STOL, or like you suggested vertical + immediate refuel.

Same document indicates 2x payload and 1.8x range increase vs. Harrier.

STATS.pdf

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

jfsvideostap.png

I know the video is here, I just don't feel like looking at every post, here is the link again. I know this is not a 100% but it should give us an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbnWg4v6iHk

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

This is why it's a STOVL aircraft, topol-m ;)

Yeah , yeah I know but STOVL is not that exciting and exotic as VTOL :D Better put another engine in there Lockheed!

I know the video is here, I just don't feel like looking at every post, here is the link again. I know this is not a 100% but it should give us an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbnWg4v6iHk

:thumbup:

Edited by topol-m

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is a vertical/short takeoff/landing more risky than a conventional one in terms of equipment failures affecting safety of flight? (i.e.: engine failure during vertical flight=possibility of crash; engine failure during forward flight=possibility of gliding to a safe landing) If so, would it only be used when absolutely needed, or would they be done more regularly to keep in practice?

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

Or bump this one up to 50000lbf vertical ... really it doesn't seem like a possibility though.

Dry thrust of this engine is 26000lbf about (25 if the document is very accurate) and for an installed engine at mach 0, you're looking at about 78%-80% thrust.

If we assume it has been optimistically configured to have a couple percent more performance at mach 0 installed thrust vs. the typical installed engine thrust loss, we're still getting something a bit over 20000lbf.

The lift fan is rated at around 18000lbf IIRC, so there's really no wiggle room there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes it is riskier. If the engine fails, you drop straight down. On the other hand, probability of engine failure has also gone down a whole lot.

Is a vertical/short takeoff/landing more risky than a conventional one in terms of equipment failures affecting safety of flight? (i.e.: engine failure during vertical flight=possibility of crash; engine failure during forward flight=possibility of gliding to a safe landing) If so, would it only be used when absolutely needed, or would they be done more regularly to keep in practice?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. The question here is, are the sensors for sensing such a problem reliable enough to not give you false negatives or positives?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there any automatic ejection system in case of critical engine failures or some unrecoverable close to the ground maneuver in takeoff/landing mode?

I don't know the answer to that, but maybe the landing gear is strong enough to at least protect the pilot while the airplane is inside the envelope that would require immediate ejection?

That's just a thought, maybe my thinking is totally off?

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. The question here is, are the sensors for sensing such a problem reliable enough to not give you false negatives or positives?

Yeah that could be a problem but in situations like engine stop could come inhandy.

I don't know the answer to that, but maybe the landing gear is strong enough to at least protect the pilot while the airplane is inside the envelope that would require immediate ejection?

That's just a thought, maybe my thinking is totally off?

Speaking of falls, from several metres the gear could save him (those kinds of falls though may result in spinal and other injuries), but past that point the aircraft will be like a can of beer that you jumped on :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Speaking of falls, from several metres the gear could save him (those kinds of falls though may result in spinal and other injuries), but past that point the aircraft will be like a can of beer that you jumped on :D

But that point would be rendered moot if the pilot ejected, because the results would be pretty much the same.

-Robert Goddard

But that point would be rendered moot if the pilot ejected, because the results would be pretty much the same.

That`s a question of programming the system. There are certain situations at certain altitudes in which there is no doubt the plane and pilot will be lost, but the pilots reaction might be too late.

f35criticalfailure1.th.jpg

f35criticalfailure2.th.jpg

f35criticalfailure3.th.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I meant was that you would have a bent airplane and possibility of spinal injury in either case.

Funny diagrams BTW!:lol:

-Robert Goddard

• 3 weeks later...

sdd_f35testa_092.jpg

sdd_f35testa_093.jpg

sdd_f35testa_095.jpg

sdd_f35testa_096.jpg

sdd_f35testa_092.jpg

sdd_f35testa_094.jpg

sdd_f35testa_097.jpg

• Like 1

Asus Prime Z-370-A

Intel core I7-8700K 3.70Ghz

Ram g.skill f4-3200c16d 32gb

Evga rtx 2070

Ssd samgung 960 evo m.2 500gb

Syria, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944

Combined Arms

A-10C, Mirage-2000C, F-16C, FC3

Spitfire LF Mk. IX

UH-1H, Gazelle

http://www.edwards.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123205241

100517-F-0000U-008.jpg

Left to right, AF-02 and AF-01, F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters, fly over Edwards Air

Force Base, Calif., prior to their landing the afternoon of May 17. (Official U.S. Air Force

photograph)

100517-F-0000U-006.jpg

Left to right, AF-02 and AF-01, F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters, fly over Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., prior to their landing the afternoon of May 17. (Official U.S. Air Force photograph)

To whom it may concern,

Can't remember where, but saw that the F-35 also was meant to replace the A-10...

Must have been my book, which came out before the A-10C upgrade.

According to LM website, it is suppose to replaced A-10

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/products/f35/f-35-capabilities.html

To whom it may concern,

To whom it may concern,

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone have videos / pictures of the C model?

:D

4681507313_8db8d24d2a_o.jpg

4681506731_e23d2cc307_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lockheedmartin/

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,