AAR - A New Twist

Caldera

Hey All,

Something new happened today while I was getting in position to hook up to the nozzle.  This occurred during a SP mission.  The tanker was at 15000.  There was multiple friendly aircraft in this mission.

It went like:

• Shell 1-1, Hawg 1-1, Ready Pre-Contact
  • Hawg 1-1, Shell 1-1, Chicks in Tow, 1 Mile Trail at 14000

I went like:

• WTFO?

I tried the coms a few more times and got the same result.  So I thought, OK fine, trail at 1 mile it is.  As I was backing out, literally only a few feet above my canopy I noticed a friendly AI F-16 pulling in.  This guy must have been desperate for gas, because the tanker gave him priority.  The F-16 in question was part of a two ship and his wing was probably lost in an air battle.

AAR 01.gif

All is well that ends well?

Caldera

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Hey All,

Something new happened today while I was getting in position to hook up to the nozzle.  This occurred during a SP mission.  The tanker was at 15000.  There was multiple friendly aircraft in this mission.

It went like:

• Shell 1-1, Hawg 1-1, Ready Pre-Contact
  • Hawg 1-1, Shell 1-1, Chicks in Tow, 1 Mile Trail at 14000

I went like:

• WTFO?

I tried the coms a few more times and got the same result.  So I thought, OK fine, trail at 1 mile it is.  As I was backing out, literally only a few feet above my canopy I noticed a friendly AI F-16 pulling in.  This guy must have been desperate for gas, because the tanker gave him priority.  The F-16 in question was part of a two ship and his wing was probably lost in an air battle.

AAR 01.gif

All is well that ends well?

Caldera

AFAIK, when the tanker says "chicks in tow," it means he ALREADY has aircraft lined up for refueling, so you need to wait your turn.  I think he's saying he has other aircraft in a 1 mile trail waiting.

I noticed that when AI is refueling, they break to the left when finished, so you might wait in the right on-deck position, otherwise some poo may come out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 1:15 PM, jaylw314 said:

AFAIK, when the tanker says "chicks in tow," it means he ALREADY has aircraft lined up for refueling, so you need to wait your turn.  I think he's saying he has other aircraft in a 1 mile trail waiting.

You're correct on the meaning of chicks in tow, but the meaning is that OP is cleared to 1 mile trail.  If the left wing is clear, though, he could go there (though not while F-16s are being refueled due to the speed difference, (200 KIAS vs 315 KIAS)).  This call is somewhat ambiguous, though.  Hopefully tanker comms get a rework in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Chain_1 said:

You're correct on the meaning of chicks in tow, but the meaning is that OP is cleared to 1 mile trail.  If the left wing is clear, though, he could go there (though not while F-16s are being refueled due to the speed difference, (200 KIAS vs 315 KIAS)).  This call is somewhat ambiguous, though.  Hopefully tanker comms get a rework in the future.

Thanks, I just figured the "one mile trail" referred to the AI aircraft, since you'd normally join up on left wing.  HOWEVER, AI aircraft always seem to break left after finishing AAR, which can lead to some unpleasant close encounters if you do things that way 🙂

• Like 2