Finally consistent framerates on Quest 2

• 7 months later...

To bump this thread I tried these settings over the weekend and got very good results on multiplayer. Was running 72 HZ but switched to 90, capped the FPS @ 45 in Nvidia control panel and set Low Latency Mode to Ultra. ASW disabled in Oculus Debug Tool. I was running the Oculus resolution slider @ Max in 72 HZ. After switching to 90 I bumped it down until I got 45 FPS solid on the Channel Map, low level. Ended up at 4480 X 2256. Was able to add 2X MSAA and 4X Anisotropic filtering. Looked pretty good.  Several hours, very smooth gameplay on the server. 

Edited by 13sq*Axe
  • Like 3

Rig Specs, i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 Plus MB, 64 GB Kingston Vengeance Beast ram, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1 TB NVme SSD Drive, EVGA 750 Watt PS. Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vizio 43 inch G-Sync Compatible TV, Oculus Quest 3, CH Hotas,( Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, All axis analog pots converted to sensors), MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, V3.

Thanks for bumping this! I tried it last night and it made a huge difference.  I could never get ASW at 45Hz to work right... lots of ghosting as it failed to keep up.  But ASW 30Hz worked great at Oculus 72Hz.   I capped the card at 45 frames like you said, set OTT to ASW 45Hz, switched Oculus to 90Hz, slider maxed --- DAAAAAAAANG it freaking works.  Smooth as silk at 45 frames with ASW working perfectly -- in fact I've never seen zero ghosting before, it's amazing.  GPU hums along with plenty of headroom on metrics.  thank you thank you thank you @13sq*Axe

Now if only shadows worked.  I was really hoping that now they would work, but nope.  They destroy everything, 22fps and choppy as hell.  

Edited by Fuggzy
typo

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Fuggzy:

Thanks for bumping this! I tried it last night and it made a huge difference.  I could never get ASW at 45Hz to work right... lots of ghosting as it failed to keep up.  But ASW 30Hz worked great at Oculus 72Hz.   I capped the card at 45 frames like you said, set OTT to ASW 45Hz, switched Oculus to 90Hz, slider maxed --- DAAAAAAAANG it freaking works.  Smooth as silk at 45 frames with ASW working perfectly -- in fact I've never seen zero ghosting before, it's amazing.  GPU hums along with plenty of headroom on metrics.  thank you thank you thank you @13sq*Axe

Now if only shadows worked.  I was really hoping that now they would work, but nope.  They destroy everything, 22fps and choppy as hell.  

Only terrain shadows or cockpit also?

MEG Infinite X 11th; MSI Coreliquid K240 V2; 1000W PSU; MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Ventus 3X OC 24GB GDDR6X

2 hours ago, MHAce75 said:

Only terrain shadows or cockpit also?

Both are off, but I haven't tried terrain shadows on in a while. Will do that, I'm curious 🤔 

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro

this never works for me (oculus on 90hz with AWS off), no ghosting whatsoever, but steady stutter of buildings and trees beyond my acceptance level (one could argue it is a fly-by blur, but it is more disturbing than pleasant). Even though my rig is pretty strong, 11900kf 5.3ghz, undervolted (no overheating, MSI coreliqued water cooled, idle at 38 degrees, with DCS rarely over 80 degrees) and max pl1, pl2, and pl4 so no power limit either + nvidia 4090. I ultimately went back to 72hz, oculus slider 1.5 and ott ss 1.2 (max was 1.35 which gives a super crisp picture, but occasional stutters), nvidia frame rate capped at 72, AWS on 45hz (not forced, just 45). Very smooth with beautiful graphics almost maxed out (except terrain shadows, off), but of course depending on the situation, subtle to profound ghosting, which is a bit annoying when chasing a plane in WWII dogfights, but I can deal with that better than with the aforementioned. on heavier maps like syria and marianas, etc., the occasional stutters are more often, but then I can scale down some graphics to make them work. Work very well with Huey fly-over Syria city-scape, real fun to hover and race around the buildings.

Edited by MHAce75
corrected data error

MEG Infinite X 11th; MSI Coreliquid K240 V2; 1000W PSU; MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Ventus 3X OC 24GB GDDR6X

I retract my blame of shadows.  They are CPU-expensive, though, and if one is riding the edge of CPU-bound shadows will do it in.

I ran metrics/tests and found that while things hummed along well for the most part, the CPU headroom was always pretty low, like 8% (this is in OXR Toolkit) while GPU has 35-40%.   When distant objects came into view range, I'd get chop and the red CPU bound warning flashing.  In particular, those oil towers in Mi24-P / Instant Action / Caucasus / Weapons Range are a beyatch. Not to mention that I'm purposely testing with rotorcraft too.  Adding shadows at any point or any level made the whole thing into chop suey.

My CPU is a beast, it shouldn't be lagging, I was perplexed.  I dug through the BIOS settings thinking I needed to turn off one or more of the Intel CPU management features -- but I found to my surprise that CPU Power management was entirely disabled, and thus my CPU was never leaving its base clock speed of 3.0Ghz.  I enabled it, ran some benchmarks and now the CPU would run 4.5Ghz.  Launched back into DCS and now have a completely awesome experience in VR, shadows on Medium like I like em.  I can also run missions from the P47D Wolfpack campaign that I never could before, so many units.

I guess the moral of the story is take good measurements and figure out if it's the graphics side or the app/cpu side that is not keeping up. And of course, make sure there's nothing wrong with the system to begin with like in my case.  😛

• Like 1

edit:   I don't know why it chopped out all of my text/explanations.  Whatever, here are my golden settings 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

EDIT:   I have since changed the Oculus graphics preference immediately above to 4704x2384 (1.4x).  Much more performance headroom, slight loss in image quality.  Works a lot better in MP.

Edited by Fuggzy
  • Like 1

Just got a question that prompted me to clarify something with my settings.  They are my "gold" settings for best performance in Multiplayer in big pubs like Growling.  I can enable most everything and go sliders full right in SP, and only if the mission has a reasonably smallish number of units and chaos.  For me, performance > eye candy every day of the week, so I knock off the frills and slide left on the resolution sliders and MP runs fast and smooth as I've ever seen it go for me.

I got tired of switching DCS between 45 fps limit and Max. I play pancake version when I have to keep an eye on the kid.  I set OTT to 45 ASW, forced and it seems to work. I have been running in MT and get stutters in MP when I switch to external view and F10 map. Still playing with PD settings. I have a RTX360Ti and 1.2 is pretty much all it can take. Multiplayer is OK if I am just flying around by myself.

I7-10700F | RTX4070 FE | 32G RAM | Quest 2/3 | TM T16000 HOTAS & Throttle | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-15C | A-10 II 

nullIf it matters, I have my OTT set up and if I've had my computer going too long between rebooting, OTT doesnt seem to see I've opened DCS so doesn't load the profile and give me the verbal confirmation.  Rebooting fixes the issue.  No idea as to why it does what it does.

• 4 months later...

I just upgraded to a RTX4070. I still have the 45 fps limit, but I bumped up visuals in DCS. I use Turbo mode in OpenXR, ASW disabled in OTT. I maintain consistent 45 fps, but how is this supposed to work? I thought without ASW I would get a lot of stuttering? I am very happy with the setup, just amazed that it works.

I7-10700F | RTX4070 FE | 32G RAM | Quest 2/3 | TM T16000 HOTAS & Throttle | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-15C | A-10 II 

On 8/9/2023 at 12:07 AM, JesterIsDead said:

I just upgraded to a RTX4070. I still have the 45 fps limit, but I bumped up visuals in DCS. I use Turbo mode in OpenXR, ASW disabled in OTT. I maintain consistent 45 fps, but how is this supposed to work? I thought without ASW I would get a lot of stuttering? I am very happy with the setup, just amazed that it works.

I have a 4070 and run a Pico 4 at 72 Hz with 72 fps at Godlike on Virtual Desktop. I have been using Quad Views Foveated Rendering which gives a massive bump in performance (58 vs 72 fps). Also consider using openxr toolkit if you are not already doing so for FSR sampling. 

https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

I tried running the quest 2 at 72 Hz, I get good fps most of the time, dipping to 60s when the map is crowded. 90hz looks better to me, though. The color seems richer. I do notice is micro stutters when I move my head sideways when looking at the cockpit. I can live with that. Outside looks amazing for a Quest 2 so I switched back to my 90hz settings.