Shot down by my own Harpoons

Yesterday and today I have spent most of the day carrying out attacks against frigates. You can tell me the Hornet is not designed to sink ships and I agree, but I also don't think five MK-84s will do only 40% damage to an armored ship, we're talking about five 3.000 pound bombs. I tried the Harpoons later and was taken down by my own cast 50% of the time. Missiles that do hit the target are shot down by missile defenses or cannons because unlike other types of anti-ship missiles available in DCS, Harpoons home in at 65 feet above sea level and this makes them vulnerable. . I don't know how real missiles would work, but I don't think there is anything capable of getting closer than 30 feet to a warship. I keep in mind that the Harpoons are designed to attack in a group by saturation, from different directions and I am giving it an incorrect use and I would not want an unrealistic result.

Edited by 28270

According to this guide, the cruising level above sea level should be 15 feet, instead of 65 feet, although I don't know if it refers to the Harpoon or the KALIBR, because the text is confusing and talks about a zig-zag trajectory, something I don't think the Harpoon does.

https://prezi.com/n9izdgyh_3m9/harpoon-vs-kalibr/

Edited by 28270

Are you selecting missile flight and terminal profiles before launch?

And Mk84’s are 2000lb class munitions, not 3000. 😉

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

hace 1 minuto, G.J.S dijo:

Are you selecting missile flight and terminal profiles before launch?

And Mk84’s are 2000lb class munitions, not 3000. 😉

Sorry for the mistake about the weight of MK-84.

Yes, I select flight profiles, low flight combination, and POP, alternate.

However, flying level, as I eject the weapon, I get hit by it.

1 minute ago, 28270 said:

Sorry for the mistake about the weight of MK-84.

Yes, I select flight profiles, low flight combination, and POP, alternate.

However, flying level, as I eject the weapon, I get hit by it.

Intriguing . . . 

Maybe a video of your launch issues may provide clues, there must be a reason for the collision. Alas I cannot think of one without seeing it.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

• 1 month later...