30 to 0 Knots

Caldera

IMHO, dynamic roll over in DCS is nowhere near as violent and destructive that it is in real world. Going by RL videos of various types, including rotary types in DCS, dynamic roll over or any event with rotor blade strike, should result in complete destruction of rotor hub and significant airframe damage. In DCS we  loose portion of blades, but the shock is not transmitted to the mast, gearbox, engine, and fuselage. The helicopter stays together, and can be shut down normally if on the ground. Tried it in AH-64, Gazelle, UH-1H, MI-24, and KA-50.  In DCS if in IGE hover and blade strikes an object, the helicopter settles down without further damage. Every event of that type, in RL, that is recorded, results in catastrophic damage to helicopter.

Hey Guys,

I have been watching this discussion and seems to be getting quite lively.  Thanks for all the replies!

On 6/19/2022 at 2:15 AM, Razor18 said:

The more your main rotor is tilted backwards (aerodynamically), the more force is "pulling" your helo backwards. This force decelerates your helo. If you keep it that way all the way until your speed is zero, you are already late to the party, because you will only stop for a second, as with your stick back the main rotor still apply huge decelerating/backward force, so you will immediately transit to backwards flight after stopping. You can see the diretion and strength of this "force" on the Transition (and on the Hover) symbology, when you look at the small circle, that is wandering around the centre.

This comment proved the most insightful to me.  I have gained more understanding by some practice.   As it turns out, it seems the entire helicopter is angled backwards and takes a bit of effort to remedy.  Anticipation of the onset is the key for myself.

I find that in some respects what I described above is like a double edged sword.  If I am landing in a hurry then I really have to stay on my toes or I will get all goofed up with back wards flight.  If I am trying to go into an hover, particularly a OGE hover in hostile territory, then it is a tremendous benefit.  In that case I can stop pretty quickly.  I don't really mind stabilization to hover from backwards flight.

Caldera

And then of course there is the sudden extreme amount of left pedal input that has to be fed in when entering the hover as well. I try to stay on top of it as I am slowing and gradually feeding in some left rudder and trimming as I close in on it.  One really has to be on their toes when entering a hover. I try to get it stable and engage ATT Hold first when less than 5 knots, then when that has stabilized I engage ALT Hold. Then get to commencing launching some hellfires - or I should say have George launch them lol. Once stable and locked into ATT and ALT don't have to worry so much about the chopper for a bit. Nice little break before I follow up with a run in with my handling the gun.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

DBurne,

George does not shoot for me, but I let him fly while I am shooting...

I bring it to a hover, then switch to the front seat.

Caldera

Yeah I will have to give that a try as well, currently limiting my learning process to the rear seat.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|