Adding Switches

Bdoyle13

Hey Folks,

so I’ve got a combination of winwing and TekCrrations panels. Currently building the MDF for my pit.  Some of the tekcreations devices run to an ECM board. 

I want to add some of the missing switches that I don’t have. 

Say for example the AV Cool switch. I have the switch, lots of wires. 

would I run the switch to an arduino board and then the board to computer? Do I need to flash the board with dcs bios? 

any suggestions of links to videos or guides would also be great. Just starting with adding a few simple switches as all the main panels were already added to the pit

Asus Prime Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen)

Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630, 32gb DDR Ram CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 DRAM ,   Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Xtreme 10G 2.0, Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, Intel 115X/2066, AMD AM4/TR4, Corsair CP-9020180-NA RMX Series RM850x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply, 4 SSD 1TB

There are multiple ways to handle adding switches. Some of the Tekcreations panels have inputs for missing switches, which might help.

When I was building my sim pit, I went with the plug-n-play Leobodnar BU036X USB boards. You just wire up the switches/axes you want and it shows up as a standard USB game controller visible to DCS World and most other games/sims.  There is a button only version for those that don't want/need analog axes. Some people used mutliple boards of this type and ran into problems with Windows/DCS mixing them up after rebooting their PCs despite having unique ID numbers. I only had one board, so I never experience this issue.

Arduino boards require programming, so they are a little harder to manage than the Leobodnar products, but that also makes them more flexible/capable. If you aren't afraid to get into programming, this is probably a good way to go, as it will give you more flexibility if and when you decide to expand your controls. I haven't had the need to go this route, yet. But it may be in my near future.

I haven't used DCS Bios, because I haven't needed it with the hardware I have been using. Tekcreations products have far more functionality when connected via DCS Bios, so that may be a good route for you. I can't really say one way or the other since I haven't ever used it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the reply, I will look in to both those boards. I think using the dcs bios with TC I might as well go that route and I can figure out the coding. 

the simple switches are just up and down. So I’m assuming the red and black wire connected to adrino would be sufficient. Lots of videos for huge boards not so many for single switch function from purchase to implementing 

Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630, 32gb DDR Ram CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 DRAM ,   Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Xtreme 10G 2.0, Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, Intel 115X/2066, AMD AM4/TR4, Corsair CP-9020180-NA RMX Series RM850x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply, 4 SSD 1TB

I'd keep it easy with your first button box project. Use a joystick controller like bodnar BBI,or gpwiz, or other. When you feel more adventurous you can get Arduino pro micro and flash that with joystick code.

As for DCS BIOS, did you read through the guide yet?

https://github.com/DCSFlightpanels/dcs-bios/blob/master/Scripts/DCS-BIOS/doc/userguide.adoc

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

If you go the arduino as HID route, i.e. making it appear as a joystick, you need to use one with a 32u4 processor.  The Pro Micro and Leonardo are such units.  The Leonardo is the same form factor as an Uno, but has the different processor.
If you go that route, it's possible to get around some issues that simple "zero delay" boards, like the Bodnar boards, have with some controls in DCS not "turning off" when the button does.
With the arduino, you can easily create sequences of button presses with numbers beyond the pins you have.  This is particularly useful if you have a centre-off switch.

DCS-BIOS can be better for some controls, but it is module-specific.  A HID setup can be remapped for different aircraft (or a different sim) more easily.

Thanks for the reply’s.. gonna have to do some research on the boards suggested and setting up a HID

On 7/7/2022 at 11:51 AM, Bdoyle13 said:

Thanks for the reply, I will look in to both those boards. I think using the dcs bios with TC I might as well go that route and I can figure out the coding. 

the simple switches are just up and down. So I’m assuming the red and black wire connected to adrino would be sufficient. Lots of videos for huge boards not so many for single switch function from purchase to implementing 

I did a few weeks of research before I could build my setup. (some 2-position switches and 3-position switches).  For the life of me, I could not figure the DCS Bios out.  Probably because the instructions were (or seemed to me) out of date and inconsistent. 

I had an Arduino Leonardo, wires, and a set of some 3-pos and 2-pos switches.  I watched this video and used the code he had to make a simple joystick.  If you're doing just switches, you should only have to pay attention to that part of the code.  It helped tremendously and made something that I thought was really complicated into something really easy.

That being said, I bet you could make it even easier since you don't already have a board.  You could also use this video with a zero-delay encoder.

492nd Squadron CO (F-15E): JTF-111 -  Discord Link

Great videos thanks

That second video brought to mind a design consideration I came across yesterday while planning my own such device to add to my WH Throttle:
You should decide where to put your buttons/switches carefully.
There's a lot of space under the red buttons in that video that someone might be tempted to use for more buttons.
That's OK, BUT those buttons can't be accessed if the throttle levers are forward... So only put switches there that will be used with the throttles back.

Office Pit 4.jpgThat is the only thing about the Warthog throttle I'm not a fan of, those five switches that are hard to access once you are airborne. I make mine engine start functions, and never mess with them again after engine start.  With TMWH and Monstertech mounts you have to think ahead about what you are going to do and how to mount it. I've had to experiment with mine to maintain functionality of use and storage. I saw a button box that fit on the left hand side of the throttle and it was only about 2" wide and the length of the throttle base, and all the buttons were usable any time.

Spoiler

Office Pit 6.jpg

Office Pit 4.jpg

Edited by 352nd_Hoss

Sempre Fortis