Many JTAC problems when using multiple jtacs

netizensmith
Go to solution Solved by buur,

1. First contact with JTAC I will sometimes report Time on station, sometimes I'll report Playtime. Randomly changes in the same mission.
  2. Tell jtac to target a truck, mark with laser. JTAC targets infantry, marked with IR, or not marked at all
  3. JTAC doesn't respond at all a lot of the time
  4. When using AV-8B the aircraft name is not used by the pilot or JTAC
  5. When using AV-8B with AGM-65 E 2 the weapon is not read out by pilot or read back by jtac
  6. Pilot and JTAC do not acknowledge the fact my AV-8B has a gunpod i.e If I have the older laser mavericks loaded and a gunpod it states I have AGM-65E but no gun

The above is mostly when I have multiple JTACs (all with their own callsign and frequency, in every part of the set up in the extended waypoint section)

I have this issue with Hornet and Harrier, on multiple mission files in Syria and PG.

Every video I've see describes a slightly different way to set things up and none of them show how to do multiple JTACs.

Any help gratefully received!

ExampleJTACProblem.miz

Edited by netizensmith
Uploaded mission

39 minutes ago, netizensmith said:
  1. First contact with JTAC I will sometimes report Time on station, sometimes I'll report Playtime. Randomly changes in the same mission.
  2. Tell jtac to target a truck, mark with laser. JTAC targets infantry, marked with IR, or not marked at all
  3. JTAC doesn't respond at all a lot of the time
  4. When using AV-8B the aircraft name is not used by the pilot or JTAC
  5. When using AV-8B with AGM-65 E 2 the weapon is not read out by pilot or read back by jtac
  6. Pilot and JTAC do not acknowledge the fact my AV-8B has a gunpod i.e If I have the older laser mavericks loaded and a gunpod it states I have AGM-65E but no gun

The above is mostly when I have multiple JTACs (all with their own callsign and frequency, in every part of the set up in the extended waypoint section)

I have this issue with Hornet and Harrier, on multiple mission files in Syria and PG.

Every video I've see describes a slightly different way to set things up and none of them show how to do multiple JTACs.

Any help gratefully received!

Do you have the TRACK or mission to share?

1. This is normal, its about variety in the calls. 

3. Unfortunately JTAC is not as stable as we wish. Need a closer look into mission to see what could be wrong

4. ED had to add the missing sound file for the AV8B

5. The AGM-65-E-2 is missing in the list of weapons the JTAC can request.

Unfortunately the AI JTAC is not a well kept module in DCS and ED should do much more love for it.

• Like 1

Mission uploaded.

When spawning as the Harrier, one or other, or both JTACS *may* respond (in my experience).

When spawning as the Hornet they never will.

They are asked to mark with laser. If you do get them to respond they will respond with No Mark.

Sometimes the F1 option for e.g. Ready for readback, will fail and you'll have to bring the jtac menu up and select it again.

Simple mission really. 2 Blue planes, 2 red trucks as targets and 2 jtacs targetting those trucks in as simple a way as I could do it.

Ok, had a short look into the mission.
- Axemann mark the target by Laser and Willy Pete. But it seems that the distance fore Willy Pete is to long. Switching to only Laser and it works for me.

- Placed the Hornet on ground (for easier testing) and I can talk to the JTAC without any problems. Please check your radio comms. I remember that for the hornet the comms will be slightly special. (try RALT+# or RCtrl+# when you are in air) Ok, tried it also in air and it is working.

Are you on open beta (I am)?

Must be something wrong with my installation. I changed axeman to laser only but he will not respond to my Hornet, nor will DarkKnight.

EDIT: Doesn't work from ground either and Harrier doesn't get a response either now. WTF!? lol. I'll try a repair, after that it's a reinstall job.

Edited by netizensmith

If you have easy comms on then # works for everything. If you don't then yeah, you have to pick the right radio with the right frequency etc. Not a Hornet thing; applies to Harrier too for example.

Anyway, a full repair achieved nothing 😞

... reinstalling

Edited by netizensmith

This truly makes no sense then. Full reinstall (nearly 300 gig download!) , set easy comms off and on that mission I cannot get a jtac response from either of them in either aircraft.

@buur any chance you could upload your tweaked version for me to try? Maybe my old install somehow corrupted it.

Edited by netizensmith

1 hour ago, netizensmith said:

Maybe my old install somehow corrupted it.

You should also make new profile, as the \Saved games\DCS World\ is not cleaned after the reinstall. There are your settings, logbook, bindings... etc. Just rename the folder name and the new one will be created. You can retrieve what you want from the old profile then.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I have one JTAC on 133 and one on 135. Comm2 Channel 1 is set to 133, and channel 2 is set to 135.

Starting either jet airborne at larnaca:

Harrier : Can contact axeman and darkknight by using comm2 on the appropriate channels. Partway throught the back and forth the jtac audio degrades and eventually they stop responding (as I'm flying closer toward them)

Hornet: No response 90% of the time. I did get an initial response from axeman once but nothing past the initial response.

Edited by netizensmith

• Solution

For me this sounds more like that the distance to the JTAC is to far.
Place the planes on the ground with engine hot near to the JTAC.

Also give the JTAC always enough time to respond and wait with the next request until JTAC has finished his message. If you are to fast the JTAC logic get lost.

• Thanks 1

Could be. I'll give that a go in a bit.

incidentally I have not option to contact JTAC when I'm on the ground. Not until I get airborne do the JTAC menu options appear,

SUCCESS!!!

That was it. Too far from the JTAC.

Made harder to diagnose because my harrier was initially able to make contact from a massive distance and then it degraded. In fact you have to be quite close.

Anyway, many thanks for all the suggestions and particularly to buur who identified the real problem in the end.

Edited by netizensmith
  • Thanks 1