Rotary knob bug

jonsky7

So I've noticed that there's been a change to the way the rotary knobs respond to inputs, though it isn't mentioned in any changelogs as far as I can see.

Previously the rotary knobs would auto scroll when a key was pressed, and now they only move one click at a time. While I appreciate this change, I made a keybinds mod to do the same thing, I'm finding the implementation a little clunky.

Basically a substantial pause is required in between each keypress, or mouse wheel scroll movement, for the next keypress to be recognised.
This means that each indent of the mouse wheel scroll does not correspond to a letter/number change whilst inputting data, in fact if you scroll fast enough you can have five or six indents in before the letter changes. Or you have to pause between each press of a keyboard key to do the same.

I didn't have that required pause previously but could scroll one letter at a time by simply adding the following to the default.lua in the keybinds
and users could use either the fast scrolling method or one step increment method using the mod.

{down = device_commands.Button_8, cockpit_device_id = device_id, value_down = 0.5, name = _('Left big knob Increase in increments'), category = _('NS Device')},
{down = device_commands.Button_8, cockpit_device_id = device_id, value_down = -0.5, name = _('Left big knob Decrease in increments'), category = _('NS Device')},
{down = device_commands.Button_11, cockpit_device_id = device_id, value_down = 0.5, name = _('Left small knob Increase in increments'), category = _('NS Device')},
{down = device_commands.Button_11, cockpit_device_id = device_id, value_down = -0.5, name = _('Left small knob Decrease in increments'), category = _('NS Device')},
{down = device_commands.Button_26, cockpit_device_id = device_id, value_down = 0.5, name = _('Right big knob Increase in increments'), category = _('NS Device')},
{down = device_commands.Button_26, cockpit_device_id = device_id, value_down = -0.5, name = _('Right big knob Decrease in increments'), category = _('NS Device')},
{down = device_commands.Button_29, cockpit_device_id = device_id, value_down = 0.5, name = _('Right small knob Increase in increments'), category = _('NS Device')},
{down = device_commands.Button_29, cockpit_device_id = device_id, value_down = -0.5, name = _('Right small knob Decrease in increments'), category = _('NS Device')},

This has also broken my pretty awesome (self admittingly) voice attack profile, though I did manage to fix it by adding a pause between key presses, but it's so slow now 😞

Was this an intentional change? or a new found bug? If intentional, any possibility of reducing the required pause between each key press?

Thanks

Edited by jonsky7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • jonsky7 changed the title to Rotary knob bug
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Having recently gotten myself a controller with rotary encoders, I'm also running into this issue now... while I would expect it to jump one step for each input, it will only take one input then ignore several unless I pause for a substantial time between each attempted input

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Flappie said:

It occured to me that I can't test this since I have no rotary encoder. Is there a way to emulate one using my mouse scrollwheel?

Yes, my video above was using the mouse, I should have recorded the pointer d'oh.
Just hover the mouse over the knob and scroll the wheel, if you scroll quick you'll see that the characters do not change for each notch of the wheel, but each time you start scrolling, but you could do 5-8 notches for each character change.

My video above was done with a Logitech G502, it has a button which allows the mouse to freewheel (no notches). If I allow the wheel to spin freely then the although the knob on the  NS430 is spinning, no character change happens. (@19sec in video)

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to open a thread whether it's normal that cursor moves so slow on the map - but this seems to be the problem. When I turn the mousewheel slower, it actually works better/faster. When I go fast the cursor is - counterintuitively - super slow. The problem is even more mysterious because I hear more/faster clicks, so one does blame the cursor sensitivity or what, which is not the problem.

Also, too bad I can't just press the key and hold it for wheels, some sort of auto-repeat would be a godsend. Using a POV-hat with some modifier works fine for selecting pages, but it is a pain for moving the cursor (or entering letters for that matter). I know it's not "realistic" per-se, but we can't really touch the unit either.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

4 hours ago, virgo47 said:

Also, too bad I can't just press the key and hold it for wheels, some sort of auto-repeat would be a godsend. Using a POV-hat with some modifier works fine for selecting pages, but it is a pain for moving the cursor (or entering letters for that matter). I know it's not "realistic" per-se, but we can't really touch the unit either.

That's exactly what it did before this change. It was a bit fast when using a joystick button though.

But at least the mouse wheel over the knobs worked properly. 

It's not very nice currently.