My new custom collective

wombat778

All,

I just thought I’d quickly show off my new DIY collective controller. Couple of notes:

• Made of oak, steel and electronics. All buttons are metal (mostly steel bolts that have been ground into shape). 
  • Includes a physical collective brake mechanism (adapted from a bike brake) that holds the lever in place when released. When the brake is pulled, the movement is exceptionally smooth as it’s nearly frictionless and on ball bearings. When the brake is released it also sends a DX button to the sim. 
  • Controls are 2x 5-way hats, an analog stick (that also can act as a 4-way hat), 3x momentary buttons, 1x latching toggle button, 2x 2-way toggles, 1x 3-way toggle and 1x rotary  encoder. 
  • The collective position is based off a contactless hall sensor and magnet. 
  • The whole thing runs off an RP2040 pico
  • Attached to my chair with a DIY chair mount.  

So far works like a dream! Let me know if you have any interest in internal pics or more info!

FFFAE513-E7C4-45F2-84AA-D26F64AD7F48.jpeg

510D7A9A-705F-401C-8D29-318ADC4961DD.jpeg

Edited by wombat778
  • Like 4

Looking great….thanks for sharing👍👍👍

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) - Kola — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2022 at 2:51 AM, wombat778 said:

All,

I just thought I’d quickly show off my new DIY collective controller. Couple of notes:

• Made of oak, steel and electronics. All buttons are metal (mostly steel bolts that have been ground into shape). 
  • Includes a physical collective brake mechanism (adapted from a bike brake) that holds the lever in place when released. When the brake is pulled, the movement is exceptionally smooth as it’s nearly frictionless and on ball bearings. When the brake is released it also sends a DX button to the sim. 
  • Controls are 2x 5-way hats, an analog stick (that also can act as a 4-way hat), 3x momentary buttons, 1x latching toggle button, 2x 2-way toggles, 1x 3-way toggle and 1x rotary  encoder. 
  • The collective position is based off a contactless hall sensor and magnet. 
  • The whole thing runs off an RP2040 pico
  • Attached to my chair with a DIY chair mount.  

So far works like a dream! Let me know if you have any interest in internal pics or more info!

FFFAE513-E7C4-45F2-84AA-D26F64AD7F48.jpeg

510D7A9A-705F-401C-8D29-318ADC4961DD.jpeg

Could you share some pics of the inside regarding the head and buttons and wires?

Edited by Ala12Rv-Tundra

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay everyone.  A combination of health issues and PC issues put me out of commission for awhile.

In terms of how I used the RP2040, I did everything through Arduino because i'm most comfortable coding in C and not micropython.  I just connected all the buttons and switches up to the various pins (first I put the rp2040 on a solderable perfboard). Happy to share my ugly code if helpful.

In terms of pics of the head, here you go.  It's a rats nest of wires so I am hesitant to disassemble it much more than this for fear of breaking a wire or solder joint.

I have also attached pics of the insides (which are not very pretty) where you can see among other things:

1. The Hall sensor and magnet used to detect the throttle position
  2. The spring clamp that forces the brake pad against the brake rotor
  3. A counterspring that dramatically "lightens" the handle such that the brake friction is enough to keep it in place
  4. The brake rotor itself, which is a wooden disc with very rough steel metal on the pad side for grip and very smooth/polished steel on the other side on which a nylon bearing runs
  5. The microswitch that detects when the brake has been presss/released

Happy to answer any questions!

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Picture6.jpg

Picture7.jpg

Picture8.jpg

Picture9.jpg

Picture10.jpg

Picture11.jpg

Love this 🙂

I'm looking to start designing my collective soon, mind if I steal your brake design? I had been racking my brains about how to get a cable pulled brake to work and never considered a sprung clamp; too set on how a bike disk brake works to consider inverting the caliper!

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

7 hours ago, edmuss said:

Love this 🙂

I'm looking to start designing my collective soon, mind if I steal your brake design? I had been racking my brains about how to get a cable pulled brake to work and never considered a sprung clamp; too set on how a bike disk brake works to consider inverting the caliper!

Absolutely, it works great! Two thoughts from experience:

1. My original plan had been to use both sides of the clamp to grip the disc. This provided great grip strength but the problem was in mounting the clamp flexibly in such a way that one side of the clamp didn’t rub on the disc when open. In the end I couldn’t make it work and just cut one side off the clamp so the pressure was one sided. This in turn caused the disc/axle to flex, which is why I put a nylon bearing on the other side opposite the clamp (to “push back” against the clamp arm) 

2. I was surprised by how much force the clamp put on the disc/axle and how much deflection it caused. If I could do it again I’d probably use a thicker dowel for the axle (maybe a full inch instead of 5/8”) or something like steel

Edited by wombat778
  • Like 1

As I have free access to solidworks and a 3D printer (or I will by the time I design it), along with a tame CNC man I can probably design a specific adjustable tension clamp.  Good heads up though!

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Sounds good. My first collective build a year ago used 3d printed parts. But they always felt too flimsy to me and never gave me the feeling that it would last. That’s why for this build I went fully steel/oak and generally overbuilt it. 

But what I would have given for a CNC machine!!!

It's a very handy resource to have on tap, for the cost of a few ciders I can get stuff made 😄
For the simpler turning and drilling jobs I can just jump on a lathe
on a lunchtime.

I will likely be manufacturing the structural parts from aluminium and stainless and use the printer for the odd shape bits, who knows how well it will work though!