Overhead Brake Advice for newbie

cmbaviator

Might want mention as well, some of the newer airframes are fly by wire. The F-14 is not, so you will want to fly it more by the numbers for that reason. I don’t get to fly much right now either, but I hope that will pick up, but when I pick an airframe, I try to go over the procedures for that plane. It just makes it easier. 

Edited by Iron Sights
Error

On 10/13/2022 at 7:45 AM, cmbaviator said:

guys, Irl a pilot is only qualifed for one fighter aircraft; you cant be irl be type rated on the F18, F22 and F35. As a dcs pilot and only being able to fly a couple hours per week. You can't master every aircraft unless you are a DCS youtuber and fly DCS several hours per day.

You should be able to apply the F16 overhead brake on the F14, the goal is to touch down around 14°

the difference is IRL you wouldn't be flying all of those different aircraft.  We're not even talking about type rating.  We're talking about two aircraft with about as different capabilities as two jets can have.

Look, this is a game, you can land the thing however you want, Grumman built a solid jet, it can probably take it.  However, if you're looking for advice on how to make landings better, then the best advice is to land it the way its supposed to be landed.

• Like 2

In real airplanes, you don’t fly a procedure to the exclusion of all else. The procedure is a starting point, not a set of rails.

If you cannot constantly correct/modify to fit the current situation, you are a monkey following a script.

Whenever possible, I start my overhead supersonic at 10 feet because its fun and do what’s needed to arrive at the touchdown point on speed.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

2 hours ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

In real airplanes, you don’t fly a procedure to the exclusion of all else. The procedure is a starting point, not a set of rails.

If you cannot constantly correct/modify to fit the current situation, you are a monkey following a script.

Whenever possible, I start my overhead supersonic at 10 feet because its fun and do what’s needed to arrive at the touchdown point on speed.

100% true, except of course when it isn’t. Because like so much else in aviation, “it depends”.

3 hours ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

In real airplanes, you are expected to be able to follow the procedures, and prove capable of flying them before ever having the responsibility of making it up as you go along. 

You have to walk before you can run. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lunaticfringe said:

In real airplanes, you are expected to be able to follow the procedures, and prove capable of flying them before ever having the responsibility of making it up as you go along. 

You have to walk before you can run. 

Which is exactly what I said. Procedures are a starting point. Try reading for comprehension. It's wonderful!

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

20 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

Which is exactly what I said. Procedures are a starting point. Try reading for comprehension. It's wonderful!

The conversation is being had with someone who can't yet follow the basic procedures of the aircraft in question. 

Context: it's a part of reading comprehension. You should try picking up on it sometime.  

On one hand, I sympathize with OP. The Jeff, M2k, Viper and ‘Cat are wildly different airframes and trying to stay current in all of them seems like a lot of work. On the flip side, if you can remember how to fight in each of them then remembering how to land them seems trivial in comparison. Just prepping heaters to fire is a totally different process in each case.

• Like 1