ATFLIR changing distance to target whenever LOS is obstructed by terrain

GumidekCZ

It doesnt matter which tracking INR/SCENE/AUTO you use, all three continuosly updating distance even without TDC depress = WRONG, No Laser measurment should be done. No one on battlefield wants to shine targets by laser unless necessary for getting accurate coordinates or wpn delivery.

This make AUTO low level delivery (CCRP) or LOFT attacks after ATFLIR target designation almost impossible.

ATFLIR_INR_Range_BUG.trk

Edited by GumidekCZ
  • Like 1

• ED Team

I will ask the team but if you have evidence to support your claim please PM me

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• GumidekCZ changed the title to ATFLIR changing distance to target whenever LOS is obstructed by terrain
  • 5 months later...

So far No evidence found to be presented or unreliable.
ATFLIR Laser ranging is continuous = BUG, which is wrong and IRL will give enemy warning about your presence and that you are targeting them. On top, if terrain will appear between your ATFLIR and target, firing computer will take this shorter range into your selected weapon to calculate balistic trajectory - this will totaly spoil any AUTO(CCRP) bomb delivery from behind the terrain cover. Also according to A1-F18AC-746-100 ATFLIR MANUAL, the LASER should work only if Laser Target Designator/Ranger (LTD/R) Switch is set to ARM - in DCS, the ranging Laser operates even if swith is SAFE (which inhibits the Laser) = yes another BUG 😞

It should rather work this way - which is decribed for other detailed Hornet simulation, which I cant mention here:
The ranging function of the Laser FLIR is used to determine the ground altitude at target for weapon delivery. The ranging function happens automatically immediately after target designation (or anytime pressing TDC button). The ranging burst lasts for 2 seconds and only occurs when a compatible weapon (Maverick or LGB) is selected and the LTD is in the AUTO mode. LTD/R appears and is flashed in the HUD and LTD DDI formats while the laser is firing.

Edited by GumidekCZ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 2:05 AM, GumidekCZ said:

Also according to A1-F18AC-746-100 ATFLIR MANUAL, the LASER should work only if Laser Target Designator/Ranger (LTD/R) Switch is set to ARM - in DCS, the ranging Laser operates even if swith is SAFE (which inhibits the Laser) = yes another BUG 😞

If the Laser would shine all the time pilot have target is designated, it would roast the ATFLIR pod quickly. 2sec flash of ranging after TDC pressed or in AUTO mode makes absolute sense. The way we have modeled ATFLIR in DCS is somehow simplistic from real operation (some DCS users can benefit from that) but it brings with it also nosense like this reported behaviour.

Question is, what about the coordinates and elevation data, when ATFLIR is slewed somewhere and TDC button not yet pressed - Laser ranging not commanded.

(Also if LASER is broken, can radar measure the distance to target if within of scan limits? just a side thought, not mentioned to discus here)

Edited by GumidekCZ