So is altitude hold fixed in latest patch ?

poochies
Go to solution Solved by Floyd1212,

• Solution

It is much better again, and seems to hold a hover nicely once settled down.  👍

I don't know what to expect out of the system when intentionally maneuvering the aircraft with ALT hold enabled.  I was in a hover at tree-top level and tried to creep forward slowly with ALT Hold enabled and it allowed me to climb a bit before kicking in, then when I slowed back down to 0 it allowed me to descend a bit as well.

Yes, feels much better now….

DCS MT 2.9.4.53990
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - OH-6A(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) - Kola — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Since this appears to now be reasonably functional, the question I have is,,, is it better to use this in Radar Altitude Hold or Barometric IF your intent is to hover? Im not asking about while cruising, thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Floyd1212:

Just flew again and there is still some oscillation there with Rad Alt Hold, but it is manageable.

It‘s better than before, but some movement is still there in hover ……it‘s  a slow about 10 feet up and down move.

Edited by corbu1

DCS MT 2.9.4.53990
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - OH-6A(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) - Kola — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

27 minutes ago, corbu1 said:

It‘s better than before, but some movement is still there in hover ……it‘s  a slow about 10 feet up and down move.

I tried it yesterday. 

3 phugoids, each taking about 20 seconds to phase out. 1st +20/-10, 2nd +10/-10, 3rd +5/0. After that it's steady. 1200 ft AGL

Now, if I am at perfect zero, alt hold will just keep it there.

Problem a lot of people have is that they engage alt hold the moment VSI is at zero, it doesn't mean they are at stable altitude. It just means that helicopter wasn't climbing/descending as a reaction to your corretion from previous climb/descent, but it still has power setting which will not hold altitude. Why? Because you have to overcome inertia of your helicopter movement first. System needs time to compensate for that. If you hold that zero when you engage alt hold, it will hold with no oscilations.

• Like 2

I work as an automation technician.

Oscillation makes me think the settings are not quite there yet when it comes to the values for the PID-controller.

The behavior (increasing oscillation) is typical to see in any automatic regulation where the P function of the PID-regulator is adjusted incorrectly. 
If the total amplification value in the loop is higher then 1 oscillation will increase, lower then 1 will decrease oscillation. P-function in a controller is the way to adjust this.

There are techniques to calculate the "correct" P-values, or at least an optimal setting to start tuning from.

Ziegler Nichols first and second method. One of them is based on step response, the other is looking at when the loop is going into a self sustained oscillation.

Edited by TZeer