AIM-120C-5 strange guidance and miss

skywalker22

Let's focus on 1st target, with a miss at 2:18s of attached track file.

How could amraam missed that target? It's an impossible miss. In last 8 seconds before final miss, it was wobbling in all kinds of strange directions, few times way too exaggerated.

Trajectory was also off in last 2 seconds of the flight, that's why missile ran out of energy and missed on the end - it's own fault. And why, doesn't amraam have a  proximity fuse, which should detonate the warhead, if nothing else from that distance to the target?

Tacview-20221202-231502-DCS.zip.acmi

22 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Let's focus on 1st target, with a miss at 2:18s of attached track file.

How could amraam missed that target? It's an impossible miss. In last 8 seconds before final miss, it was wobbling in all kinds of strange directions, few times way too exaggerated.

Trajectory was also off in last 2 seconds of the flight, that's why missile ran out of energy and missed on the end - it's own fault. And why, doesn't amraam have a  proximity fuse, which should detonate the warhead, if nothing else from that distance to the target?

Tacview-20221202-231502-DCS.zip.acmi 603.97 kB · 2 downloads

I don't think this is an entirely unreasonable miss. Your missile is at around mach 0.7 at the terminal stage which is very slow. Adding to that the AI was defending quite erratically. Your missile is very slow, so it has to make harsh manoeuvres to keep on target. Your missile is having to pull over 25deg of AOA to keep on target at this speed.

As for the proximity fuse, you only have a tacview which is notoriously inaccurate due to the slow polling rate.

vor 39 Minuten schrieb Default774:

I don't think this is an entirely unreasonable miss. Your missile is at around mach 0.7 at the terminal stage which is very slow. Adding to that the AI was defending quite erratically. Your missile is very slow, so it has to make harsh manoeuvres to keep on target. Your missile is having to pull over 25deg of AOA to keep on target at this speed.

As for the proximity fuse, you only have a tacview which is notoriously inaccurate due to the slow polling rate.

Aim120 PF is 7m in DCS.

19 minutes ago, Hobel said:

Aim120 PF is 7m in DCS.

The closest distance tacview indicates is 46ft(take with a grain of salt, tacview polling rate is slow). Whether this is distance to the center of the plane, the pilots head, whatever, it seems too far for the missile to proximity fuse here. I don't see the issue here

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Default774:

The closest distance tacview indicates is 46ft(take with a grain of salt, tacview polling rate is slow). Whether this is distance to the center of the plane, the pilots head, whatever, it seems too far for the missile to proximity fuse here. I don't see the issue here

I just wanted to clarify that.
The Aim120 also takes the closest point to the aircraft for ignition.🙂

I know, I am aware of all the facts in this situation. But.... it bled too much of the speed because of the weird maneuvering, check this situation, why it has to be pointing so much downwards? There is no logical reason. And this was not the only case in the last 8-10seconds of the flight, there were more, which on the end resulted to bleed the speed that much, that it missed the target, it was just not able to keep the height. But the main reason for that I see in it's strange guidance system.

image.png