A-10C v1 HOTAS inconsistent with v2

TAIPAN_

After the v1 HOTAS was updated to more or less match the v2 (excluding the Scorpion HMCS commands), there was 4 functions leftover that didn't get updated:

image.png

The A-10C v1 is still flown alot for the older campaigns, as well as the cold war servers and multiplayer set in older timeframes. It's very confusing to learn the HOTAS and have to swap out commands each time we switch between v1 and v2.

It would seem the entire HOTAS can be copied, just excluding the HMCS commands. Can these 4 commands be ported back to the A-10C v1?

Edited by TAIPAN_

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

This leaves a few follow-on questions.

The most important question is, of course: Would the previous HOTAS configuration have been historically accurate for the A-10C circa 2008ish (pre-Scorpion)? If so, why should it be updated to reflect changes that were introduced later (2014ish, if memory serves)?

Assuming it was correct in the legacy DCS A-10C, the next question is, why should seasoned DCS pilots be forced to relearn their habits for a feature complete module?

After all, this seems to be an issue for pilots who switch between legacy and A-10C II modules (like I also do, BTW 😉 ) - but it would be the same kind of hurdle that real pilots might have to go through when they have Suite 3 and Suite 7 jets in their squadron (or whatever Suite represents "our" A-10s the best), or when they go from one squadron to another.

Now this is a wishlist and it's not my place to tell you what to wish for. 😉
But as far as I'm concerned, if the current DCS A-10C HOTAS mapping is historically correct, I would vote for it to remain as is.

• Like 1

These are good questions.

I don't have the source data to say what the correct HOTAS was on those particular aircraft.

The reason I raised it was because ED had changed the A-10C v1 HOTAS during the release of v2, there were many changes. I was wondering if these 4 items were simply missed in that change process.

And of course the other reason is personal convenience 🙂

In any case I'm curious to know if it is historically correct as is. If it is already matching 2008 aircraft then my wishlist item might be something for the "special options" settings page with a tickbox for "use common HOTAS layout with A10C II". If there is no data to tell either way, then it's still a Christmas wish as well.

Happy to hear any comments from Pilots/SMEs who can remember.

• Like 1

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods