Modern Missiles

Modern Missiles Mod - Updated 12/01/2023

v1.30

Modern Missiles v1.20 (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

This mod is already included in the CFT mod and is not required if you have that installed.

This mod will swap out the AIM-9L / AIM-9X and/or the AIM-120B for more advanced versions of the missiles.  Specifically the AIM-9X-2+/AIM-2000 IRIS-T/PYTHON-5 and the AIM-120D.

It involves swapping out models and lua files that have been adjusted for the new missile data  This allows these missiles to be used on aircraft such as the F-15C, F-16C and F/A-18C/D/E/F/G.

Since the missiles replace stock versions in DCS, the avionics for the aircraft will still show the old versions.  However, they will look and perform like the new versions

The mod includes new models, textures, modified LUA files and for the AIM-120B the mission editor icon along with scripts to swap them out or restore the original files.

Includes weathered USAF textures for AIM-120 series missiles.  All required textures have been added to the AIM-120.zipfile which is already loaded by DCS.  The original is included and restored when the AAM_AIM_120B script is run.

I've found that for the F-16C and the F/A-18 fuselage stations, the mission editor labels them as AIM-120B's.  The F/A-18 pylon stations show them correctly labeled as AIM-120D.

The primary limitation for the AIM-120D seems to be how far away you can get lock with the FCR.  Max range of the missile is listed below but the farthest I've been able to get a lock with the Viper so far is ~70 NM which resulted in a kill.

NOTE that because of the way DCS works (mysteriously sometiems) some of the information seems to be ignored in the modified files, such as the name I detailed above.  This is the best implementation I've been able to get so far.

Tests with current settings.  All tests completed with targets at co-altitude ~32k feet in afterburner from an F/A-22A which has a RADAR based on the F-15C module.  Results will vary based on the launch platforms RADAR.

TYPE           HOT ASPECT        COLD ASPECT

AIM-9X-2+     - 16.5 NM        18.0 NM
    AIM-120D       - 95.5 NM        40.0 NM (INITIAL RADAR LOCK)

There are also performance improvements to the AIM-9M.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

Use a mod manger to enable/disable the mod.  It's built as OvGME ready and the folders and files are installed to your main DCS install.

MANUAL INSTALL:

The zip contains the following folder and file structure:

AAM_AIM_9L.cmd
AAM_AIM_9X2.cmd
AAM_AIM_120B.cmd
AAM_AIM_120D.cmd
AAM_AIM_2000.cmd
AAM_PYTHON_5.cmd
AAM_Readme.txt

Place these in your DCS main folder at the root (same place that sutoupdate.dat is located)

Copy these folders to the same root location and overwrite when prompted.

Bazar
CoreMods
MissionEditor

USE INSTRUCTIONS:  Run the script for the missiles you want to use and it should copy them.

Script files to swap out the AIM-9L, AIM-9X, AIM-120B for other missiles.  This includes models, textures and a code change for each.

AIM-9L     Back to stock AIM-9L and AIM-9X.
AIM-9X-2+     AIM-9L becomes AIM-9X and AIM-9X becomes AIM-9X-2+ (Improved over the F-22 Enhancment Mod 9X-2)
AIM-2000    AIM-9L becomes AIM-9X and AIM-9X becomes AIM-2000 IRIS-T (Same as in the JAS 39C Mod IRIS-T)
Python-5     AIM-9L becomes AIM-9X and AIM-9X becomes Python-5 (Same as in the LAHAK SUFA Mod)

IRIS-T Credits to the JAS39 Community mod.
Python-5 Credits to the LAHAK SUFA mod and №15 | Neoshot (FC)

AIM-120B     (Back to stock)
AIM-120D     (Replaces AIM-120B with AIM-120D)

If for some reason, the script isn't working, copy the contents of each folder into your DCS main installs corsponding folder.

Bazar > Bazar
CoreMods > Coremods
MissionEditor > MissionEditor

To restore everything to normal, repair DCS (Only needed for a manual install) or copy the original files back in place.  The mod has a backup of all original files that are changed.

120D.jpg

Edited by Nightstorm
Update
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just to throw this out there, this mod is mainly texture modifications to the stock AIM-9X/AIM-120C and lua edits.  I hex edited the stock models to use a different texture, so those are the ED models.  Anyone that wants to use this to integrate into something else or as a basis for anything else, please feel free.  My primary goal was to get useable AIM-120D's on the Viper and Super Hornet.  Anything else, is a bonus!  Thank you DCS community for mods and ED for a great sim.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 2

When missile missed or was shot in BORE mode and missed target, it flies further and can fly through 3/4 map of Caucasus. 
Once I was shooting from low altitude to target on high altitude. Missile missed and flew further and gained 1 500 000 ft. Really often it still flying further, start to rotate around axis with speed over 2000 kts.

Screen_221221_152633.jpg

I've set the "lifetime" to 120 seconds.  They're supposed to self-destruct after that.  I'm not sure what would cause that behavior.  However, I'm not entirely sure how DCS reads some things from the hidden database lua file and some things from the AIM120_family.lua.  If anyone has any idea on how to correct this, please speak up.

That picture shows the missile is in orbit lol.

Edited by Nightstorm

At least we know the world in DCS isn't flat. 

In my opinion, self-destruction doesn't work. Missile was in the air lots of minutes but I noticed also that AIM-120C also doesn't explode after some time (before I installed that).

Anyway, AIM-120D is a beast. It can be used instantly after radar finds a target. Huge  accuracy, range, speed, acceleration.

Screen_221221_152604.jpg

@Nightstorm hi what are the performances of the new 120d i myslef play a lot with the aim120.lua but i keep wondering were should it be on the performance scale in terms of max speed, loft and drag 

With little public data on the 120d i guessed about 10kg more of fuel in dual thrust with same boost and longer sustain than the b and slightly better Cx but whats your opinion on this ?

Edited by Redounet

31 minutes ago, Redounet said:

@Nightstorm hi what are the performances of the new 120d i myslef play a lot with the aim120.lua but i keep wondering were should it be on the performance scale in terms of max speed, loft and drag 

With little public data on the 120d i guessed about 10kg more of fuel in dual thrust with same boost and longer sustain than the b and slightly better Cx but whats your opinion on this ?

As you said, there's little unclassified information about it.  What I've found beyond the Wiki was an example of a long range (longest) kill for the AMRAAM and I thought it was around 90 miles.  I remember watching the video and the pilots congratulating each other.  However, now I can't find a link to it.  Only several that talk about the longest range kill but not disclosing the range.  

In any case, if the supposed purpose of the 120D was to give the Super Hornets something that replaced the Tomcat's Phoenix then it's max range would be near 100 nm.  The only way in DCS to get an AMRAAM to go that far is for the sustain (t_marsh) burn duration to be longer. 

I did reduce the drag (cx) to about half that of the 120C and increased the burn duration to get the range in DCS.  I commented all of my changes in the file and included the original values, for the drag/thrust section, I just commented out the entire original section and replaced it.  So, all of the data is there for anyone to play around with.  If you find something that works better, please let me know!

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 1

Updated the AIM-120D characteristics for more realism.  Rocket motor burn duration at 10 seconds.  Max speed 3,500 kts at burnout.  This was the minimum speed needed to get a maximum range of about 100 NM at 40k feet with a nose hot target and launching aircraft at ~Mach 1.6.  Exact range will vary due to multiple factors. 

Warhead now uses an enhanced Air to Air warhead instead of the AIM-120C's to simulate the larger warhead on the 120D.  If I can tweak anything further, I will but for right now this works fairly well for the Eagle, Viper or Hornet(s).

Modern Missiles (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nightstorm said:

Updated the AIM-120D characteristics for more realism.  Rocket motor burn duration at 10 seconds.  Max speed 3,500 kts at burnout.  This was the minimum speed needed to get a maximum range of about 100 NM at 40k feet with a nose hot target and launching aircraft at ~Mach 1.6.  Exact range will vary due to multiple factors. 

Warhead now uses an enhanced Air to Air warhead instead of the AIM-120C's to simulate the larger warhead on the 120D.  If I can tweak anything further, I will but for right now this works fairly well for the Eagle, Viper or Hornet(s).

Thanks! I ran this update through some pretty extensive testing, using the Super Hornet as the launch platform, from the perspective of the shooter and the aggressor. I was able to hit AI Su-30SMs from about 60 miles (when I can get first radar lock). It performs much more realistically than before, seems to handle like you'd expect it to. It certainly compares to the other Russian and Chinese modern systems that are meant to rival the AIM-120D (R-77M and PL-15). 

• Thanks 1

Intel i7 9700k CPU

Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

16GB RAM

Samsung 256GB SSD

Thrustmaster T16000m HOTAS

Another couple of small updates.  I decreased the DLZ / Max range to 170KM roughly 92 NM.  In practice, I found that the missile can't quite go out to 100 miles, and I don't want to make it go any faster to achieve that.  It's consistently killing optimum targets at 80-83 miles from the F-22A so that'll suffice for the intended platforms Eagle, Viper, Hornet(s).

Snowywolf provided me a line of code for the sensor section that should make the seeker more reliable and that's been added.  He also pointed out that the impulse value of most missiles isn't much over 200.  The AIM-120B's specific impulse is 236 during boost.  I tried using that value, but it required the amount of fuel to be increased to 74kg vs the 54kg I was using.

I'm not sure that's even possible, but the result ended up being that even though the missile will accelerate to the same speed, the extra weight evidently causes it to lose too much energy.  I've messed around tweaking it for hours and can't get it to work the way I want.  So, I reverted back to the Impulse of 325 instead of 236 and 54kg of fuel.  Everything works again. 

Who knows?  Maybe the D's motor operates at that value anyway 😉

27 minutes ago, limoncino said:

Where i can put .EDM files?

If you extract the Modern Missiles.zip file you'll see a file/folder structure that matches your DCS main install.  Bazar/CoreMods/MissionEditor folders, four cmd files and a txt file that go in the root.

If you right click and edit any cmd file you'll see what they're doing.  For example, the AAM_AIM_120D.cmd has this in it:

copy Bazar\World\Shapes\AIM-120D\aim-120b.edm Bazar\World\Shapes\aim-120b.edm
copy CoreMods\aircraft\AircraftWeaponPack\Backup\AIM-120D\aim120_family.lua CoreMods\aircraft\AircraftWeaponPack\aim120_family.lua
copy MissionEditor\data\images\Loadout\Weapon\Backup\AIM-120D\us_AIM-120B.png MissionEditor\data\images\Loadout\Weapon\us_AIM-120B.png

So, those are the files that need to be in those folders for the AIM-120D.  A model, a lua, and a picture, the last one is just mission editor icon and isn't crucial.

You shouldn't be getting an error if all of the folder/files are in the correct places.  Worst case, copy/paste the entire contents of the zip into your main DCS install folder and overwrite.  You should be able to run the CMD for the 120B to put the stock files back in place or run a DCS repair to remove everything and go back to stock.

*UPDATED 12/24/22*

I've adjusted the rocket motor to be more realistic and for the missile to have a more realistic speed.  (Thanks, Snowywolf for the help!)  Total burn duration now should be 13.5 seconds which is about double that of the AIM-120C-7's 6.5 seconds.  The extra burn duration is the sustainer motor needed to extend the 120D's range.  Effective maximum range ~100 Nautical Miles at altitude with a hot aspect target at co-altitude. 

Added install instructions to the readme and the post above and to the download page.  I included a backup copy of the AIM-120.zip texture file and adjusted the scripts to copy/replace that file along with the rest.  

Same links in first post, both are updated.

Edited by Nightstorm

On 12/21/2022 at 6:48 PM, Nightstorm said:

I did reduce the drag (cx) to about half that of the 120C and increased the burn duration to get the range in DCS.  I commented all of my changes in the file and included the original values, for the drag/thrust section, I just commented out the entire original section and replaced it.  So, all of the data is there for anyone to play around with.  If you find something that works better, please let me know!

Half the drag? Isn't that way too much?

1 hour ago, tomcat_driver said:

Half the drag? Isn't that way too much?

I don't know how they managed to get the 120D to go out to 100 NM in reality.  I do know that in the DCS implementation, a little more weight makes a big difference in range.  And, I didn't want the missile to be going Mach 8 or 10.  It's a "reality compromise" to enable it to reach those ranges and that's under "optimum" circumstances.  Like a bomber or other heavy at 100 miles that has a HUGE radar cross section.  Other long range missile mods have done the same thing.

I've spent literally hours on this already tweaking and testing.  For now, I'm pretty happy with the results.

4 hours ago, tomcat_driver said:

Perhapa they didn't. Dont exclude the fact that maybe the data we have on the C is also very innacurate, and perhaps what we think was a giant leap, wasnt.

It's probably safe to assume that a lot of the data we have in the sim isn't accurate.  Many systems are classified.  The public information suggests the 120D has a range for around 100NM as it was intended to replace the AIM-54C and The Tomcat.  I don't know if that's true or not.  Other missiles added to the game such as the PL-15 or R-77M have much greater ranges than the 120C-5 that's in the game.  The idea here, was to level the playing field a bit.

However, the beauty of the mod is, you can use it if you like, or you can change it if you want, nothing is encrypted or hidden.

Il 24/12/2022 at 14:48, Nightstorm ha scritto:

If you extract the Modern Missiles.zip file you'll see a file/folder structure that matches your DCS main install.  Bazar/CoreMods/MissionEditor folders, four cmd files and a txt file that go in the root.

If you right click and edit any cmd file you'll see what they're doing.  For example, the AAM_AIM_120D.cmd has this in it:

copy Bazar\World\Shapes\AIM-120D\aim-120b.edm Bazar\World\Shapes\aim-120b.edm
copy CoreMods\aircraft\AircraftWeaponPack\Backup\AIM-120D\aim120_family.lua CoreMods\aircraft\AircraftWeaponPack\aim120_family.lua
copy MissionEditor\data\images\Loadout\Weapon\Backup\AIM-120D\us_AIM-120B.png MissionEditor\data\images\Loadout\Weapon\us_AIM-120B.png

So, those are the files that need to be in those folders for the AIM-120D.  A model, a lua, and a picture, the last one is just mission editor icon and isn't crucial.

You shouldn't be getting an error if all of the folder/files are in the correct places.  Worst case, copy/paste the entire contents of the zip into your main DCS install folder and overwrite.  You should be able to run the CMD for the 120B to put the stock files back in place or run a DCS repair to remove everything and go back to stock.

Thank you very much for your answer.

• Like 1

Updated mod with the following changes:  AIM-9L is now the AIM-9X (modified) for all options.  AIM-9X is now the AIM-9X-2+, AIM-2000 IRIS-T or PYTHON-5 depending on which script is run.  End result now is that AIM-9X will use AIM-9L sound effects and whichever missile is selected will use the AIM-9X sound effects.  So, AIM-9X-2+ will now sound like an AIM-9X for example. 

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Updated for DCS Open Beta 2.8.3.37556.

On 2/22/2023 at 2:52 AM, BlitzFromBehind said:

How did you make the aim-120b .edm read aim-120d textures? having this issue where my personal weapon retex overrides all the weapons using that base edm and no matter what I rename the edm it still overrides the other ones

I hex edited the EDM file to rename the texture it uses. 

On 12/20/2022 at 5:17 PM, Nightstorm said:

Modern Missiles Mod - Updated 3/11/2022

v1.20

Modern Missiles Mod v1.20

This mod is already included in the CFT mod and is not required if you have that installed.

This mod will swap out the AIM-9L / AIM-9X and/or the AIM-120B for more advanced versions of the missiles.  Specifically the AIM-9X-2+/AIM-2000 IRIS-T/PYTHON-5 and the AIM-120D.

It involves swapping out models and lua files that have been adjusted for the new missile data  This allows these missiles to be used on aircraft such as the F-15C, F-16C and F/A-18C/D/E/F/G.

Since the missiles replace stock versions in DCS, the avionics for the aircraft will still show the old versions.  However, they will look and perform like the new versions

The mod includes new models, textures, modified LUA files and for the AIM-120B the mission editor icon along with scripts to swap them out or restore the original files.

Includes weathered USAF textures for AIM-120 series missiles.  All required textures have been added to the AIM-120.zipfile which is already loaded by DCS.  The original is included and restored when the AAM_AIM_120B script is run.

I've found that for the F-16C and the F/A-18 fuselage stations, the mission editor labels them as AIM-120B's.  The F/A-18 pylon stations show them correctly labeled as AIM-120D.

The primary limitation for the AIM-120D seems to be how far away you can get lock with the FCR.  Max range of the missile is listed below but the farthest I've been able to get a lock with the Viper so far is ~70 NM which resulted in a kill.

NOTE that because of the way DCS works (mysteriously sometiems) some of the information seems to be ignored in the modified files, such as the name I detailed above.  This is the best implementation I've been able to get so far.

Tests with current settings.  All tests completed with targets at co-altitude ~32k feet in afterburner from an F/A-22A which has a RADAR based on the F-15C module.  Results will vary based on the launch platforms RADAR.

TYPE           HOT ASPECT        COLD ASPECT

AIM-9X-2+     - 16.5 NM        18.0 NM
    AIM-120D       - 95.5 NM        40.0 NM (INITIAL RADAR LOCK)

There are also performance improvements to the AIM-9M.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

Use a mod manger to enable/disable the mod.  It's built as OvGME ready and the folders and files are installed to your main DCS install.

MANUAL INSTALL:

The zip contains the following folder and file structure:

AAM_AIM_9L.cmd
AAM_AIM_9X2.cmd
AAM_AIM_120B.cmd
AAM_AIM_120D.cmd
AAM_AIM_2000.cmd
AAM_PYTHON_5.cmd
AAM_Readme.txt

Place these in your DCS main folder at the root (same place that sutoupdate.dat is located)

Copy these folders to the same root location and overwrite when prompted.

Bazar
CoreMods
MissionEditor

USE INSTRUCTIONS:  Run the script for the missiles you want to use and it should copy them.

Script files to swap out the AIM-9L, AIM-9X, AIM-120B for other missiles.  This includes models, textures and a code change for each.

AIM-9L     Back to stock AIM-9L and AIM-9X.
AIM-9X-2+     AIM-9L becomes AIM-9X and AIM-9X becomes AIM-9X-2+ (Improved over the F-22 Enhancment Mod 9X-2)
AIM-2000    AIM-9L becomes AIM-9X and AIM-9X becomes AIM-2000 IRIS-T (Same as in the JAS 39C Mod IRIS-T)
Python-5     AIM-9L becomes AIM-9X and AIM-9X becomes Python-5 (Same as in the LAHAK SUFA Mod)

IRIS-T Credits to the JAS39 Community mod.
Python-5 Credits to the LAHAK SUFA mod and №15 | Neoshot (FC)

AIM-120B     (Back to stock)
AIM-120D     (Replaces AIM-120B with AIM-120D)

If for some reason, the script isn't working, copy the contents of each folder into your DCS main installs corsponding folder.

Bazar > Bazar
CoreMods > Coremods
MissionEditor > MissionEditor

To restore everything to normal, repair DCS (Only needed for a manual install) or copy the original files back in place.  The mod has a backup of all original files that are changed.

120D.jpg

Hi, Nightstorm, thanks for the update, but where is the link for download?