Laser: Standby Power Switch vs Designator/Rangefinder Question

Hi, can someone help me understand the two?

Ok the Power switch needs to be ON for the laser to function, for the Vikhrs, Kh-25 and Designator switch. I get that.

The Designator switch in STDBY or MANUAL does not affect the Vikhrs in any way because the Vikhrs look back to ride the 'weaker' laser beam?

But for the Kh-25, it has to see the 'stronger' reflected laser so the Designator switch must be on STDBY (wrong label? it should say "designate" or "lase" actually). So MANUAL actually means 'strong lasing off' ? But where is the RANGEFINDER part? Because you can still get the range whether it is in STDBY or MANUAL.

Thanks

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Yeah it seems like it's the wrong way around in the English cockpit? Chuck's guide explains it with STDBY being rangefinder and MANUAL being designate, but the old BS2 manual at least seems to be the other way around:

Clipboard01.jpg

EDIT: Apparently "ЛД-ЛДП" translates to LD-LDP, whatever that means... And I think you can get laser ranging with a very weak laser, so it would make sense that it works in both modes.

Edited by jubuttib
  • Like 1

• ED Team

My understanding of this switch is that solely enables the laser designation functionality of the laser targeting components of the Squall, which is an additional mode besides the laser rangefinding mode or Vikhr beam-riding guidance.

When set to STANDBY, its normal state, the Squall sensor can perform rangefinding and laser beam-riding guidance. The laser beam-riding guidance automatically turns on when a Vikhr is fired. When set to MANUAL, it enables the additional designation mode of the laser for when a Kh-25ML is launched. So when you press the Lock button, instead of only firing briefly for rangefinding like it does in Standby, it fires the laser continuously for Kh-25ML semi-active laser-homing guidance. However, if you fire a Vikhr, the laser beam-riding guidance should still turn on for the Vikhr to utilize during it's flight to the target.

So in summary, STANDBY leaves the continuous designation logic in standby and only permits momentary laser rangefinding when the Lock button is pressed, whereas MANUAL allows you to manually command the laser designation to fire continuously. But either switch position does not prevent the laser beam-riding guidance from emitting when a Vikhr is fired.

I'm not on the BS3 dev team, this is just from my experience playing the Black Shark for many, many years.

• Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Thanks guys for the explanation. My confusion arose from using the English pit which has incorrect labels for the switch. Not sure why ED has kept the English labels this way. 

I guess Designate mode includes ranging as well for the Kh-25/Vikhr to work.

Both the Vikhr and Kh-25 require the laser beam. The Vikhr rides it while the Kh-25 follows the reflection (like a LGB). Is the laser beam stronger in Designate mode for the Kh-25 seeing it requires a countdown cooling period?

image.png

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

15 hours ago, jubuttib said:

Apparently "ЛД-ЛДП" translates to LD-LDP, whatever that means...

It's not important, but just to reassure you - these don't contain any new meanings.
The Russian manual for BS2 says that LD = "Laser Dalnomyer" = "Laser Distance Meter" = "Laser Range Finder".
And LDP is described as "Laser Podsvyet" (they omitted Dalnomyer for "D") = "Laser Illumination" or if you prefer to include "D" it would mean something like "Illumination by means of the Laser Range Finder".

In other words the switch in English cockpit was translated perfectly - both Russian and English versions are equally vague 😉

• Like 2

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

• ED Team

LDP mode used as laser designator illumination for Kh-25ML missile homing only.

For standard Ka-50 weapons and ATGM Vikhr use LD standard mode

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

• 2 weeks later...

It's partially to do with how they look for the laser. Vikhr looks backwards at the source, so like looking at a weak flashlight, it doesn't need to be very bright.

The Kh-25ML looks forwards, so the laser needs to be much brighter for it to see the laser spot on the ground to track towards (same as a conventional LGB).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."