AWLS on all Maps-Some Maps?

enigma6584

Been relearning the Harrier of late.  Love this module.  I am running "Stable Version" of DCS.  Question.  Is the AWLS system working for this module, on all maps?  I've tried both Nevada and Syria map and I for the life of me cannot get it to work.  I've checked forums here and I see there is a AWLS thread but it is unclear how the system works.  I've referenced both RAZBAM's manual and Chuck's Guide but still am not getting signals or indications I'm supposed to in the HUD.

I must be either missing something simple or maybe broken?  Any help or advice would be most appreciated.  Cheers.

Try setting a ground wind speed greater than 7/8 opposite of active runway direction. Seems the only way to make ils/awls systems to work

- "It's better to reign in hell than to serve in Heaven"

Modules: A-4E-C Skyhawk, A-10C II Tank Killer, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B Harrier, F-14B Tomcat, F-15C Eagle, F-16C Viper, F/A-18C Hornet, MIG-21 Fishbed, MIG-29, SU-27, SU-33

Maps: Caucasus, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier

Rig: i7 4790 / Nvidia GTX 1070 Strix / 16GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz / 256 GB SSD / Windows 10

Setup: ThrustMaster TWCS Throttle, Titanwolf "Vulture" Stick, DelanClip PRO, Home-made universal Cockpit panel

I've actually set wind speed in my missions to around 6-8 knots.  Only tried Akrotiri in Syria map and Creech in Nevada map.  Neither work in that I don't get any signal from the airport to my aircraft's systems.  I tried the other night on Caucuses map coming into Kobuleti and that worked.  Something is not right.  I am setting AWLS system correctly.

On 12/25/2022 at 8:39 PM, enigma6584 said:

Is the AWLS system working for this module, on all maps?  I've tried both Nevada and Syria map and I for the life of me cannot get it to work.

The Harrier's AWLS is modelled as ILS compatible in DCS, however for unexplained reasons - it doesn't work on the Nevada map i.e. where other modules such as the A-10C or Mirage 2000C can pick up a ILS signal.

Some DCS airfields in Syria have ILS issues with all modules but AFAIK Akrotiri RWY28 isn't one of them.

I can confirm that Akrotiri RWY 28 ILS isn't working in the AV-8B,

Screen_221227_005124.jpg

while it works for the A-10C

Screen_221227_010402.jpg

Testing the AV-8B's AWLS at Incirlik, RWY 05's ILS works, so the problem at Akrotiri looks to be something for Razbam to solve, rather than a map issue.

Screen_221227_012127.jpg

Given that the real AV-8B AWLS is a microwave landing system (same as the Hornet) and isn't compatible with ILS IRL, IMHO you are best ignoring it and sticking to using TACAN for IFR approaches when needed.

Tested DCS Open Beta 2.8.1.34667

Edited by Ramsay
Test AV-8B Akrotiri RWY 28 ILS
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Yep, been communicating with another virtual pilot who confirms this as well.  Basically, only Caucuses map works with the Harrier's AWLS.  The other virtual pilot got another airfield to work with the AWLS, but he had to do some Lua Scripting.  I don't doubt your statement about the Harrier being microwave based but IMHO, the manuals of the Harrier should be changed then since it's a bit confusing reading this stuff and then find out they are not working on certain maps or airfields.  

I wonder what developers would say on this issue.  Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 11:27 PM, enigma6584 said:

I've actually set wind speed in my missions to around 6-8 knots.  Only tried Akrotiri in Syria map and Creech in Nevada map.  Neither work in that I don't get any signal from the airport to my aircraft's systems.  I tried the other night on Caucuses map coming into Kobuleti and that worked.  Something is not right.  I am setting AWLS system correctly.

For some reason on Syria map at least wind seems to be inverted. 

Wanted to write a bug report, but forgot. Have to check if someone did it already.
Lately (last couple of weeks-month), we always had to land with tail wind if we wanted to use the ILS.
Paphos and Incirlik are affected for sure!

PS.: tested with F-16C and Mirage F1CE

ILS is a bit frustrating at the moment, at least in some map/module combinations with no clear issue apparent as it seems

Edited by Bananabrai
  • Like 1

Alias in Discord: Mailman

On 1/11/2023 at 7:28 AM, Bananabrai said:

ILS is a bit frustrating at the moment, at least in some map/module combinations with no clear issue apparent as it seems

Yeah, I'm pretty confused regarding this issue and the Harrier.  It should work but I just cannot get it to work.  Something is definitely not right.