DCS runs out of virtual memory with CTD

GodfatherTB

Hi all,

since roundabout a week I have the following re-occurring error.

DCS has a CTD. Simultaneously my Discord will crash (freeze) and sometimes also other applications (like SRS, WMR, etc.)
Checking the eventlog shows that DCS is reaching a virtual memory limit. (DCS is taking more than 50GB of virtual memory in these messages)
(See attached picture, sorry, log is in German)

So basically I see that the PC runs out of virtual memory and then crashes big time.

I did try tinkering with my pagefile. Setting it to 32GB manually to match my RAM or even setting it to way higher values. No change from the option when it is being automatically set.

This so far only happens on 4YA-Servers after varying amounts of playtime (10-45 minutes).
Yesterday on a Scrim-Server I could play without problems.
It occurs in VR and in flat.

Any suggestions for a fix? Strangely enough this error just came out of nowhere and was not introduced with a new patch.

Sorry, I am not an expert with all those sort of logs. Please tell me if anything else is needed.

Best regards!

EventlogDCS.PNG

dcs.log-20221231-165637.zip

Edited by GodfatherTB

2 hours ago, GodfatherTB said:

Hi all,

since roundabout a week I have the following re-occurring error.

DCS has a CTD. Simultaneously my Discord will crash (freeze) and sometimes also other applications (like SRS, WMR, etc.)
Checking the eventlog shows that DCS is reaching a virtual memory limit. (DCS is taking more than 50GB of virtual memory in these messages)
(See attached picture, sorry, log is in German)

So basically I see that the PC runs out of virtual memory and then crashes big time.

I did try tinkering with my pagefile. Setting it to 32GB manually to match my RAM or even setting it to way higher values. No change from the option when it is being automatically set.

This so far only happens on 4YA-Servers after varying amounts of playtime (10-45 minutes).
Yesterday on a Scrim-Server I could play without problems.
It occurs in VR and in flat.

Any suggestions for a fix? Strangely enough this error just came out of nowhere and was not introduced with a new patch.

Sorry, I am not an expert with all those sort of logs. Please tell me if anything else is needed.

Best regards!

EventlogDCS.PNG

dcs.log-20221231-165637.zip 737 B · 2 downloads

hello. can you also post latest DCS.LOG? "Saved Games/ DCS/LOGS"

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

32 minutes ago, GodfatherTB said:

Hi,
sorry for the delay... last night was a bit "long" 🙂
First of all: Happy new year to all of you!

Second: DCS.Log is attached here

dcs.log 26.78 kB · 0 downloads

Gesundes neues Jahr!

i see in the log that your pagefile is set to likely windows managed.

2022-12-31 16:26:53.014 INFO    APP (Main): CPU cores: 10, threads: 20, System RAM: 32665 MB, Pagefile: 14400 MB

try the steps in this link to make a static sized file. make both boxes 32,768 (1024 x 32)

Page File

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/196924-page-file-tip-by-mustang/

after you make change, check it to see if it kept the settings. then try DCS. 

viel Glück!

Edited by silverdevil

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

14 hours ago, GodfatherTB said:

Ok, I will do so and report back.

(But as quoted above I already tried putting in 32000 (so, not 32768) and 50000 and the problem remained. Let me see if 32768 improves it)

understood. that's why i suggested making sure it stayed the way you set it. i have seen that sometimes it does not remain set. AND the file is still dynamic it appears..

So, just spend roundabout 45 Minutes on the 4YA again until it crashed again.
Again, Headset black, Discord frozen, DCS crashed.

In the Win-Event-Viewer the error looks a bit different this time, but again, a few minutes before the crash I got a "not enough virtual memory" entry. However this time without the information about which game is taking which amount of memory.

I tried to stress the system by looking at different players, ground units, the map, etc. But in the end it crashed in normal flight (cockpit view)

dcs.log dcs.log-20230102-215422.zip

I am getting exactly the same kind of issue with the same 4YA servers.

Have been getting frequent crashes every 1-2hrs, often on the Syria map but not always, happens on Caccaus too. Sound stops, black screen, then crash to desktop.

Didnt adjust virtual memory to start with but have recently tried a 32gb swapfile and still getting crashes.

First zip is from before with default system managed swapfile, second zip is from crash just now with 32gb manually created swap file.

Zero mods installed.

F18/Syria/Supercarrier DLC installed.

Latest Geforce drivers & Motherboard BIOS.

Nothing overclocked.

System specs...

Nvidia 3090FE

32GB DDR4 3600 on XMP

AMD 5800x

Asus X570-F motherboard.

Not playing in VR.

dcs.20230102-224831.zip dcs.20230103-214758.zip

Edited by rory

@GodfatherTB and @rory - it seems we have a commonality between your two issues. have either of you tried on a different server?

@rory i definitely see a bunch of DX11BACKEND (7108): failed to create structed buffer. Reason: E_OUTOFMEMORY in the first log. not in second.

@GodfatherTB i do not see these type messages in last logs.

question. have either of you emptied shader folders in saved games?

null

image.png

Will try shaders first, then cleanup second.

One new thing to add: It happens on both installed versions (stable and open beta) I know that currently both are on the same game version, but the saved games folders and some options will surely be different.

I did try a complete repair before, but without the cleanup. Will come back to you once I get more info.

According to the server-question:
We have been training on SATAL-Servers, this was completely problem free, however, there is way less stuff happening on the ground and we only stay in the mission for less than 30 minutes. Can try i.e. a ROG server as well.
So far, 4YA is our go to server for some simple PvE fun, so that is why I based it on this for now.

Anyways, thanks for the additional tipps!

Edited by GodfatherTB

Just had the same style of crash on a different server (Through the inferno Dynamic PVE) on the syria map... logs attached.

Will try empying the shaders (delete everything in the two folders you have marked with arrows?) & cleanup options just now.

dcs (2).zip

Edited by rory

Test 1: Deleting Shaders

Quite a long session in DCS on 4ya-Server, but again crash. (DCS, Discord, VR-Headset)
Again Eventlog shows "out of virtual memory"

No Zip-File was created

DCS.log shows "not enough memory" entries near the end.

Will try the cleanup approach tomorrow.

1-2.PNG

1-1.PNG

dcs.log

Repair is still running... But just my thoughts: Something leads DCS to take humongous amounts of (virtual) memory (see second screenshot: 49GB) and it is not releasing the memory again. At some point it just overfills. Maybe my rather high graphic-settings accelarate the process.

This did not happen before and started suddenly (independent of Patch/Update).

It happens in both my installs (Stable and Open-Beta) and in VR and flatscreen.

20 minutes ago, TAW_Impalor said:

ED should find and fix this memory leak. The game should not consume ever increasing amount of RAM, this is insane. Had this crash today after 30 minutes on GS. ((( 

Agreed. Though unfortunately it does not happen to everyone. If it had it would be much easier to fix.

Hey, I opened the ticket and thought I might share my steps so far
SPOILER: No solution until now...

1) Do not enable MSAA and SSAA at the same time - CAN cause crashes

--> Did that, did not change anything.

2) I installed the "memory cleaner" tool, where I can watch RAM and pagefile usage

--> Both start normally at around 65% usage. Both increase over time. RAM usage at some "spikes" depending on events in the mission (i guess), but Pagefile usage just slowly counts up towards 100%.
With the built in buttons in the tool I can clear and restore a lot of RAM usage over time, however, pagefile usage is not affected and after it reaches 100% it is just a matter of seconds until the crash occurs.
This "counting up" even happens when I am idle on the ground, so something must be wrong with pagefile usage in my DCS setup.

3) Run my GPU (NVIDIA) in "Debug mode"

--> Did that, did not change anything

4) Lower graphic settings.
--> Will do that next, but again: Just a few weeks back everything was fine and worked perfectly well. And now I get these crashes. I do not see the point in changing graphic settings. Especially since it is the same in VR and 2D.

EDIT:
Just did another test. Joined the server, sat in my KA50 and waited. Just happy idling. And yes, Pagefile slowly increased until 100% and crash.

Edited by GodfatherTB

Hi,

I started having the same issues after I did a clean Windows 10 install. After a while of flying I run out of virtual memory (see Windows event log screenshot), my game freezes and crashes and other applications like Discord temporarily freeze up as well. For some reason the DCS log doesn't always show E_OUTOFMEMORY but Windows always says I ran out of virtual memory. This happens both on Syria and Georgia. Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes it takes more than 20 or 30. Doesn't matter whether I use VR (G2 with OpenXR) or regular flat screen.
Furthermore, I noticed that DCS is using only something like 12-14GB of RAM according to the task manager. However, my RAM is pretty much maxed out at 32GB all the time. I can't see any other program using even remotely as much while I play DCS.

Specs:

Nvidia 3080
32GB DDR4 3600
i7-11700k
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z590

Screenshot 2023-01-13 235125.png

dcs.log dcs.log.old

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, The Phil said:

Hi,

I have the same problem , around 30 min in MP DCS runs out of virtual memory. Anyone found a solution in the meantime ?

dcs.log 250.39 kB · 0 downloads

hello. in your log i see the following line:

2023-02-06 21:29:57.625 INFO    APP (Main): CPU cores: 8, threads: 16, System RAM: 32689 MB, Pagefile: 4864 MB

you can make your page file using this link as instructions. 
https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/196924-page-file-tip-by-mustang/

make both boxes 32768.

you may be running out of memory, especially with MP.